Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't been in the gym for years, mostly due to medical issues, but, I started by fixing my diet back in August. 62 years old, 6'3", hovering around 270 lbs. Doing a novice routine right now, since I had a long layoff, but only doing two days a week.

Anyway, I got one of those cheap electronic scales from the drug store. The kind that calculates muscle mass, BMI, and the like. According to that, I have gone from 159 lbs of muscle to 184, just fixing diet and doing light weights on an LP.  Dropped around 3 inches from my waist, and the belt is getting tighter. My diet is 40-30-30 at anywhere between 2200 and 2600 calories. About 200 gms of protein, but, I'll have a shake with breakfast, and a couple of the lowfat greek yogurts during the day. That's about 56 grams of protein. The rest comes from eating pretty normally. Check your fiber numbers. I have to do about 40 grams to keep things moving.  

Not lifting anything too heavy, but still, seeing progress. I'll probably be able to run this until around christmas.

The other thing I do is take whole food vitamins. Nothing too fancy, but, they are bio available and seem to work.  I'd say diet fixed more than the weights themselves. I think the movement is more important than what's actually on the bar. You can make progress even over 60 by doing anything. You don't have to kill yourself to do it.

Then again, maybe this will be revisited in a couple of years by me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Stretchman:
I haven't been in the gym for years, mostly due to medical issues, but, I started by fixing my diet back in August. 62 years old, 6'3", hovering around 270 lbs. Doing a novice routine right now, since I had a long layoff, but only doing two days a week.

Anyway, I got one of those cheap electronic scales from the drug store. The kind that calculates muscle mass, BMI, and the like. According to that, I have gone from 159 lbs of muscle to 184, just fixing diet and doing light weights on an LP.  Dropped around 3 inches from my waist, and the belt is getting tighter. My diet is 40-30-30 at anywhere between 2200 and 2600 calories. About 200 gms of protein, but, I'll have a shake with breakfast, and a couple of the lowfat greek yogurts during the day. That's about 56 grams of protein. The rest comes from eating pretty normally. Check your fiber numbers. I have to do about 40 grams to keep things moving.  

Not lifting anything too heavy, but still, seeing progress. I'll probably be able to run this until around christmas.

The other thing I do is take whole food vitamins. Nothing too fancy, but, they are bio available and seem to work.  I'd say diet fixed more than the weights themselves. I think the movement is more important than what's actually on the bar. You can make progress even over 60 by doing anything. You don't have to kill yourself to do it.

Then again, maybe this will be revisited in a couple of years by me.
View Quote

Throw that garbage away.  There is literally no way in scientific possibility that any human can gain 25lbs of lean mass in 3mo.  You'd be very lucky...VERY VERY lucky at 62y old to gain 3lbs of lean mass.  Hell, I'd be lucky at 44y old to gain 3lbs.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

Throw that garbage away.  There is literally no way in scientific possibility that any human can gain 25lbs of lean mass in 3mo.  You'd be very lucky...VERY VERY lucky at 62y old to gain 3lbs of lean mass.  Hell, I'd be lucky at 44y old to gain 3lbs.
View Quote

Yea even those inbody scans are a joke.  At my very leanest like probably August 2022 they were saying I was 5% body fat.  I was definitely under 10% back then but there's no effing way I was 5%.  Also you could do readings back to back and it would vary a good bit.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ds3_09:

Yea even those inbody scans are a joke.  At my very leanest like probably August 2022 they were saying I was 5% body fat.  I was definitely under 10% back then but there's no effing way I was 5%.  Also you could do readings back to back and it would vary a good bit.
View Quote

Yeah, you're probably right. The Walgreens scale doesn't tell the truth about it, but then again, the mirror seems to tell a different story than it used to. I had a major surgery in August, and then, after the tubes and crap were out, I started this program. I haven't trained in years.

Back in the days, I did some triumvirate stuff, though my memories of all that are sketchy at best. I used to be reasonably strong, but nothing like some of the guys I see out there. Just getting back on the horse. The biggest thing for me was diet, and vitamins.  A lot of people come into these threads and see advanced guys doing stuff they can't even imagine, and they think there's no way they can do anything. Not true. Even bodyweight and the right nutrition can fix a lot of what you don't think you can achieve.

Like I said, I might revisit this in a couple of years.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Yeah, you're probably right. The Walgreens scale doesn't tell the truth about it, but then again, the mirror seems to tell a different story than it used to. I had a major surgery in August, and then, after the tubes and crap were out, I started this program. I haven't trained in years.

Back in the days, I did some triumvirate stuff, though my memories of all that are sketchy at best. I used to be reasonably strong, but nothing like some of the guys I see out there. Just getting back on the horse. The biggest thing for me was diet, and vitamins.  A lot of people come into these threads and see advanced guys doing stuff they can't even imagine, and they think there's no way they can do anything. Not true. Even bodyweight and the right nutrition can fix a lot of what you don't think you can achieve.

View Quote

I'm not trying to downplay your progress.  It sounds like you are doing great and are on the right track.  The mirror is the best judge like you said.  Those inbody scans used to drive me insane.  I pretty much stopped doing them.  If you do ever use those it's best to do them fasted first thing but still take them with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 12:24:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boomfab] [#6]
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

That's so understated.  It's far easier to reduce fat, and far easier to see fat reduction in the mirror, through diet alterations.  Building lean muscle is a long hard process.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top