Fatty 12 min mile’r reporting for duty.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still just doing a mile a day.
View Quote

Treadmill or outdoor?

If you’re doing it on a treadmill just add another 2 minutes.  Doesn’t seem like much but if you’re adding 2 minutes each day this week, then 2 minutes next week it adds up slowly.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Treadmill or outdoor?

If you're doing it on a treadmill just add another 2 minutes.  Doesn't seem like much but if you're adding 2 minutes each day this week, then 2 minutes next week it adds up slowly.
View Quote
Treadmill.
I could add another 2 mins per day.
That's a good idea, thanks!

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
40 here, had not run in maybe 3 years, got fat from sitting on my ass being lazy doing college online and playing PC games.

within the past month started running again. Weights coming off but having a few more aches / pains than I am use to (mainly my heels / back of heels)

My 1 mile time, Down from 11ish when I started a month ago  I'll be fine with sub 8's. and I'd like to keep a 8 min pace for 10k as an ultimate goal.
" />

Wave @hellishhorses, We are in the same area! Are you part of any running / rucking groups?

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#5]
My 17 year old son recently ran a mile in 4:39. My 15 year old is right behind him at between 5:00 and 6::00.

I haven’t run any distance for a year or so. My younger, slower son is still twice as fast as me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
40 here, had not run in maybe 3 years, got fat from sitting on my ass being lazy doing college online and playing PC games.

within the past month started running again. Weights coming off but having a few more aches / pains than I am use to (mainly my heels / back of heels)

My 1 mile time, Down from 11ish when I started a month ago  I'll be fine with sub 8's. and I'd like to keep a 8 min pace for 10k as an ultimate goal.
<a href="<a href="http://i.imgur.com/iTyAIXKl.png" >[url]http://i.imgur.com/iTyAIXKl.png">http://i.imgur.com/iTyAIXKl.png">[url=https://imgur.com/iTyAIXK]http://i.imgur.com/iTyAIXKl.png

Wave @hellishhorses, We are in the same area! Are you part of any running / rucking groups?

View Quote
@Sethelarian
What app is that?
And do I need one of those watches to go with it?
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@Sethelarian
What app is that?
And do I need one of those watches to go with it?
View Quote

@Nobody69s
It's Apple Fitness (Apple Watch), I was using a fitbit but I guess I was too hard on them and was having them stop working after a year or so. After the 3rd one Bust Buy wouldn't let me return them anymore.

I don't like giving Apple my money but had the watch for a few years now and its held up pretty well to everyday abuse. ( Yard work + runs / rucks several times a week)

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to gauge my fitness level by how quickly my heart rate would go from maximum to 100 BPM or less.  If I recovered within 5 minutes I was within my fitness level...if I recovered in less than 5 minutes I was doing really well.  Over 5 minutes and I could tell I had a hard run that day.  My runs would be 3-7 miles 4-6 times per week, with occasional runs of 7-10 miles.  When I did longer runs I would need a couple of days for everything to recover.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@Nobody69s
It's Apple Fitness (Apple Watch), I was using a fitbit but I guess I was too hard on them and was having them stop working after a year or so. After the 3rd one Bust Buy wouldn't let me return them anymore.

I don't like giving Apple my money but had the watch for a few years now and its held up pretty well to everyday abuse. ( Yard work + runs / rucks several times a week)

View Quote
Thanks Seth.
I'm guessing it's a subscription service once you buy the watch?
Or is it just free once you have the watch and app?
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, some good info here. CLEARLY lots of members of ARFCOM aren't in any shape to give you fitness advice , but you've got some good stuff so far.

My goal is to build up endurance and lose a little weight
View Quote

Running is good. Lifting weights and running is better. Lifting, running, EATING, SLEEPING, and HYDRATING is best. Not sure how much you're looking at loosing, but most people could just fuel there bodies better and loose the weight without ever doing any extra physical activity, its that important. Its going to be hard to reach any fitness goal if you eat like crap, sleep like crap and constantly dehydrated and expect your body to just preform. Especially after 40.

It's all really simple, just takes the knowledge and the discipline to stick to the plan. You don't need any pills, shakes, powders, protein bars, supplements or any of that crap. Whole food, sleep, water and movement. Its not glamorous and all these companies don't make any money off of you, but you'll reach your goals.

Need a plan, stick to the plan and you'll acheive what you want.

P.S.- I'm over 40 and a natural runner and all these people saying sub 6 minutes is just "good" People gotta be throwing out those realistic OVER 40 times lol

Good luck and keep us posted!
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP, some good info here. CLEARLY lots of members of ARFCOM aren't in any shape to give you fitness advice , but you've got some good stuff so far.

Running is good. Lifting weights and running is better. Lifting, running, EATING, SLEEPING, and HYDRATING is best. Not sure how much you're looking at loosing, but most people could just fuel there bodies better and loose the weight without ever doing any extra physical activity, its that important. Its going to be hard to reach any fitness goal if you eat like crap, sleep like crap and constantly dehydrated and expect your body to just preform. Especially after 40.

It's all really simple, just takes the knowledge and the discipline to stick to the plan. You don't need any pills, shakes, powders, protein bars, supplements or any of that crap. Whole food, sleep, water and movement. Its not glamorous and all these companies don't make any money off of you, but you'll reach your goals.

Need a plan, stick to the plan and you'll acheive what you want.

P.S.- I'm over 40 and a natural runner and all these people saying sub 6 minutes is just "good" People gotta be throwing out those realistic OVER 40 times lol

Good luck and keep us posted!
View Quote
Thanks for the info.
So I've been running for 20 mins one day and brisk walking for 20 mins the next day to give my body some recovery time.
I'm also a drywall finisher so I do get some physical movement/exercise 5 days a week, so that's good.
I have hand weights but don't really have room to set up a bench or anything.
Maybe I need to get my ass in the woods and cut and lift more oak! haha
But I think I figured out my run/walk plan and so far it's working good.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/iTyAIXKl.png" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/iTyAIXKl.png

View Quote

@Sethelarian

Sorry, just seeing this. Got a one month ban for posting a {safaribinocular} picture in a thread with black people (that's going to get me another peepee slap... thanks)

To answer your question, no. I usually run alone. My location shows Temple because that's where my shop is and I try to steal an hour from work to run whenever I can. I will ride & open water swim mostly with my wife for safety reasons.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I did it in 12:59 when I was 20 and thought I was going to die.  Fastest I ever saw was 9:48, but that dude was an Army track runner.  He looked like a Kenyan marathoner.  6’1, 135 pounds.  He was a freaking cheat code

View Quote

My uncle was a world class runner (4:01 point something mile, not too long after Bannister broke the 4 min barrier) and he was the same height and weight. You really have to be built for sub-5 times. I think 6 is a very good goal for general fitness.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks Seth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Nobody69s

Thanks Seth.

Not sure about Apple anything, but with my Garmin watch, there's no subscriptions.

Once you have the watch, you can utilize all of the training aids without any fees. The watch has built-in GPS, so it can log your times, distance and speed for everything from running, hiking, cycling, swimming, kayaking etc. (along with logging your heart rate etc.).
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#15]
19-23 I ran 11:30 ish 2 mile. Sometimes 12-13 if I was hungover for the pt test. I’m 34 and just started running after not doing shit for 4 years. I’m at 10 minutes. I have injuries and 50 extra pounds. I believe I can get that down to 7 minutes by the end of the year.

I love 30-60s and 60-120s to assist in getting back into running. I also feel like when I was younger I didn’t need to be warmed up. Now I feel like my first mile sucks balls. Any subsequent running is significantly easier. Don’t injure yourself and work your way back into it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top