Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:25:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Noticed something cool. I do dips as part of my workout. Started out on a assisted dip machine, with 30 lbs minus. Moved up to 15 minus today and did slightly more reps. 30 reps, with zero is the goal.

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chromekilla:
Noticed something cool. I do dips as part of my workout. Started out on a assisted dip machine, with 30 lbs minus. Moved up to 15 minus today and did slightly more reps. 30 reps, with zero is the goal.

View Quote

Progressive overload works.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ProfessorFalken:
I started 5x5 3 weeks ago. I'm going to continue, but I feel like I'm definitely going to want to add more lifts at some point. My sons hit all sorts of different machines/lifts in the gym and my youngest (19) is getting huge. He's impressive to see especially right after a workout.

I've probably done the wrong thing, but I realized how little I was lifting and grossly increased the amount of weight much faster than the schedule.
View Quote

I followed the program to the letter two summers ago after doing it for about 10 weeks the year prior (with zero real, consistent lifting experience). Those lower numbers make you feel (and look) like a fool, but there is a purpose behind them for sure. Your body progresses through the natural addition of small amounts of weight easier than it does from starting off mid-way to your goal and trying to add 5 pounds a day to it.

Squat jumped from like 65, to 320 for 5 sets of 5, 3 times a week

Bench jumped from 95 to 210 (most I've ever done, and I got shot in the elbow in 2009 which left me with a lot of hardware in there and a surgeon telling me basically I'd never lift weights again)

Rows went from 65 to 150

OHP went from the bar to 125 or 130 (I remember being just shy of a single 45 on each side)

Deadlift went from 95 pounds to 360 pounds

I attacked the squats, overhead press, and bench with a vengeance because I had a chip on my shoulder about those three lifts (never could squat even a bar without falling over before, and the aspect of my surgeon telling me I'd never lift weights again) and they were my favorite part of the program. Never doubted I'd get any of those numbers, even if I failed at getting the last rep on a set I'd give myself a full 3 minute rest and try it again and nail it.

Then I tweaked my back doing deadlifts and now I'm considering re-starting because the most I've deadlifted in 2022 was about 165 pounds
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 2:08:06 AM EDT
[#4]
What else are good options for protein? Right now I'm hitting milk, cheese sticks, cottage cheese, peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, regular cooked eggs, bacon. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and trail mix.

I try to get steak/beef, don't love chicken but I'm throwing some in.

Getting 50gs per day from protein shakes leaves 125-150 from food.

Does fat burning off equate to protein gained too?
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#5]
What else are good options for protein? Right now I'm hitting milk, cheese sticks, cottage cheese, peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, regular cooked eggs, bacon. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and trail mix.

View Quote

I'd put the trail mix down, but thats just me.  They tend to be full of carbohydrates, some fiber to offset, but they frequently add sweeteners and other sugars.  

As to protein:
Turkey, shrimp, fish (salmon or tuna), black beans, pork loin

Fat burning off is just that.  I'm not a doctor, but I don't see how fat burn equates to protein gain.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 11:56:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chromekilla] [#6]
Originally Posted By rob78:

I'd put the trail mix down, but thats just me.  They tend to be full of carbohydrates, some fiber to offset, but they frequently add sweeteners and other sugars.  

As to protein:
Turkey, shrimp, fish (salmon or tuna), black beans, pork loin

Fat burning off is just that.  I'm not a doctor, but I don't see how fat burn equates to protein gain.
View Quote

Thanks for those suggestions.

Link Posted: 1/7/2023 1:38:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Been increasing to two hour workouts.  I'm really loving it and finding that I look forward to it every time I go. Peanut butter and jelly and milk is a pretty heavy staple right now
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 1:20:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Need some advice nutrition was suck today. But I noted at the gym what I think is shoulder and elbow pain, once I got loaded I was ok though. What should I do for my next training day weight/rep wise?
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Need some advice nutrition was suck today. But I noted at the gym what I think is shoulder and elbow pain, once I got loaded I was ok though. What should I do for my next training day weight/rep wise?
View Quote

No suggestions on weights, or reps. Just pay attention to that shoulder. I was out of the gym for over a year because I overtrained, and injured my left shoulder. I started "rehabbing" it about 6 months ago with bands, kettlebells, and bodyweight. I'm back to normal lifting now, but still keep the other stuff in my routine.

Please take care of your joints.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:31:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chromekilla] [#10]
Been sticking with it. Gotta say I love the gym, trying to avoid a 5 day a week schedule. Don't want to get into a situation when I make that my schedule and then skip a day here and there. Rather stick with 3 day schedule, and add more if I feel like it. Been able to do that a few times, and focus on minor stuff I don't hit on my regular schedule.

Figured I'd pass thing along found a cool dessert.
Frozen fruit, milk, greek yogurt, scoop of protein powder. Add shredded coconut, almonds, and granola.

Can do the same as above without the fruit. Seems like a reasonably healthy option for those that love ice cream like me.

Outside of that, noticing my chest and shoulders are getting big/strong. They've always been big, but can definitely tell now.
Noticing my arms aren't quite getting ramped up as quick, but slowly improving.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 2:16:34 AM EDT
[#11]
My workout schedule, changed this week due to traveling. Kept my number of days, and 2 of my regular days. Ended up throwing in 2 extra days in the gym, so hit 5 this week

Started to figure out what I'm liking, I do a 3 day full body split consisting of.

Day 1
Bench x 5 sets (10 reps)
Bent Row 5 sets (10 reps)
Leg extension 5 sets (10 reps)
Lateral Raise 5 sets (10 reps)
Calf Iso (either calf raise on blocks, or seated calf raise) 5 sets 10 reps

Day 2
Leg Press X5
Lat Pulldown x5
Leg Curl x5
Cable Rear Delt Fly x5
Tricep Press Down x5 or 6 sets

Day 3
Overhead Press x5
Hip Hinge/Thrust x5
Chest Fly x5
Bicep Iso Such as Preacher Curls Regular and Stretched out x5
Romanian Deadlift x5

I throw a pec dec in there, cable flys, more triceps rope work, seated dumbbell bench work. Also weighted dips, and weighted decline crunches.

I also typically try to start my workout with the most dangerous/heavy, ie overhead, or benching, or heavy leg press. Any issues with this?
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 8:11:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rob78] [#12]
I think you could cut a set from your 5x10 program. Go to 4x10 and up your weight to 80-90% 1RM.  I don't know your age, but I noticed that lighter weight/high rep schemes put a hurt on my shoulders/knees.

As for doing heavy first, nothing wrong with that.  Obviously, you just have to make sure you are properly warming up and stretching.  

ETA: It's probably already been mentioned, but you really, really need to incorporate squats and deadlifts into your routine.  IME, they provide the most benefit in terms of strength and aesthetic improvements.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:36:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hungrymonkey] [#13]
I hit a plateau back in November.   So I switched to a full body workout with 4 sets of 6 for each muscle group.   (Chest, back, shoulders, legs).   I was able to add about 20 lbs to all my lifts.  

Now I am on my 3rd week of jim stoppani's shortcut to size program.  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/docs/2015/shortcut_to_size_e-book_revised_9-9-15.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjE27365Zb9AhXYFjQIHYTWCJcQFnoECBgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0107Sk-uUmvFFywbsVfrLW

I figured I would run it for the full 12 weeks then go to maintenance lifting through summer.    I have a few vacations planned and will be fairly inconsistent for lifting.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:32:24 AM EDT
[#14]
If you want to get bigger/stronger/faster you need to squat and deadlift.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 3:34:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lefty-weaver-g19] [#15]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
View Quote

This has been proven to not be true.

I'm a strong believer in the squat and deadlift.  They are primary movements I use along with bench press, ovehead press, and rows.  They are some of the most efficient movements for working large groups of muscles.  They are NOT absolutely required to get bigger, stronger, and faster though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

If you are trying to add size and not necessarily worried about strength I would recommend rack pull dead lifts on back day and RDL's on leg day.  Now if you want to be a power lifter obviously you need to do conventional deadlifts.  I just find the risk/reward better doing rack pulls then actual deadlifts and I work all the muscle groups deadlifts hit over my 6 day split.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 1:57:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By lefty-weaver-g19:

I'm a strong believer in the squat and deadlift.  They are primary movements I use along with bench press, ovehead press, and rows.  They are some of the most efficient movements for working large groups of muscles.  They are NOT absolutely required to get bigger, stronger, and faster though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Correct. You will get bigger by doing pretty much anything to some extent.

If you want to get bigger/faster/stronger than the people who skip squatting and deadlifting the squat and deadlift.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 12:50:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I’d cut your reps. I’m having noticeable improvement by going to 4x4 or 4x5.   I will lose some endurance, but realistically how much endurance is needed vs strength?
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:29:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:
I’d cut your reps. I’m having noticeable improvement by going to 4x4 or 4x5.   I will lose some endurance, but realistically how much endurance is needed vs strength?
View Quote

If he want to get bigger 5 reps is the minimum of the rep range for decent hypertrophic stimulus.  Dr. Mike Israetel always says for hypertrophy train with 5-30 reps per set.  Anything under 5 reps is great for strength but not ideal for adding size.  I find 8-20 reps to be my sweet spot depending on the muscle group.  I stick with mostly 8-15 but some things like calves I go up to 20.  To gain size you need adequate volume.  If you just want to gain strength and aren't worried about size I would think 3-5 reps is ideal.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:17:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#20]
View Quote

Do both?

Hit one lift heavy for a few sets of 3 or 5, then switch to a light lift. Next workout, swap them around.

Like 3x5 on OHP, then 3x8-10 on dips.

I think the real trick is finding what works for you personally, everyone's capacity for work is different and their ability to recover from it is different.

I see good size gains on 5x5, but it's fucking terrible. That 3rd set is always brutal....then you have two more to go, it might take another 10-15 minutes just to them done.

When I do 3x5 I'm able to approach it mentally as two warm up sets to my top set....hit that one and it's all gravy, on to the next thing. A little less volume....but also less wear and tear on the joints, so it's a wash.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:35:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: akgunwinner] [#21]

View Quote

My diet consists of 3 eggs with buttered toast every morning, a 3-scoop protein shake (ice, almond or whole milk, and a frozen banana), some whole food dinner (meat, carb, baked veggie), and cashews/dates throughout the day. Chicken is great, so is yogurt. Whole foods is obviously better than eating processed stuff.

However, eating a high protein meal right before bed is the worst time you could do it. Eating draws a lot of blood to your stomach for a long while. While sleeping, your blood should really be flowing through those muscles to help it recover.

You also should really be incorporating deadlifts and squats into your program. You’re completely missing some of the largest muscles you have.

You never really mentioned what “jacked” means to you. I assume you mean you want big muscles and low bf. I’m a complete shill for MAPS fitness. I’ve run a couple of their programs, including Anabolic and Aesthetic. I can’t recommend them enough, though aesthetic is really a pre-competition program - it’s not sustainable in the least. Their programming focuses on both size and strength. The anabolic program is great for beginners (two full body workouts per week) and more advanced lifters (three full body workouts per week). Definitely recommend you check it out.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Everybody makes fun of the gym bros saying you need "muscle confusion," but they're right, it's the principle of accommodation.  Do any one thing long enough and you'll hit that point, switching up reps, sets, weight or changing the movement will spur progress.

Look at any periodization program and you'll see it.  Some will use it every training week, like a volume day (maybe 3x10 or 5x5) to force adaptation for a intensity day.  Then again with the micro cycles, going from 3 weeks of 10's, to 3 weeks 5's and so on.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ar15joe:
Chicken breast/thigh, veggies, rice
3/2/1 ratio

Bike 2 miles every day ALL OUT
Run 2 miles every day - 1 mile ALL OUT, 1 mile recovery
50 push ups
50 pull ups
50 sit ups

180 days later
you will be jacked
View Quote

Good lord.....just reading that makes me tired......
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:38:55 AM EDT
[#24]
That time when you learn your app is not adding in bar weight, and you are just inputting plates and all your maxes go up 45 lbs. Aww yeah
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 12:29:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chromekilla] [#25]
Minor update. Finally hit 2 plates on each side bench press, for two reps. Pry had some left in the tank, if I had a spotter.
Not crazy impressive I know but was a goal I set for myself.

Almost 600 on leg press for reps, and working on dead lift at 300 if I can dial my form in.

I think the suggestions about eating is really helping because, I'm a bigger frame guy was always a decent weight. Just could never get the gains, guess that's what happens when you are trying to build muscle at maintenance or below.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#26]
So I'm 6'0 almost 6'1. 34-36" jeans.  Varied from 175 to 200.

More or less always been averageish to decent, aka not fat. My frame size is capable of more though.  

I don't eat fast food, drink much pop, try to avoid beer or alcohol.

I've always been a fan of homework outs with simple stuff like pushups. Work provides a gym membership though.

Kinda want a simple nutrition and workout routine.

If it comes in a box or bag (outside of like pasta, or vegetables), or goes in the microwave I try to avoid it.  Nutrition for burning weight I can do, but it seems like nutrition for building big muscle I haven't ever been able to do.

Working out every day is not of interest. MWF if more my style.

Thanks
View Quote

So do you want a meal plan or a lifestyle ?
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:

So do you want a meal plan or a lifestyle ?
View Quote

I've ended up developing both. It doesn't make sense to out effort in the gym if you are not fueling and repairing property, this nutrition and sleep are imperative.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I do weights, but less so these days.  I do not want muscle bulk.  I want longer more pliable muscles.  I prefer coordination exercise with strength building components built in.
I row and do heavy interval training on the rower. It builds cardio and a kind of lean strength without bulk.  
My neighbor has a big tire for construction equipment I can use to spend an hour manhandling/flipping around.
I also bought a scythe to do some weed cutting at some lots I do work on, instead of using weed wacker all the time--great workout.
I also bought a one man saw for cutting wood instead of using chainsaw all the time.  
The Amish men I know from outstate have the kind of body I am looking for.  Lean, agile, with muscles formed by appropriate work instead of a gym.  
I don't have the farm work they do so I supplement with indoor exercise; but I think their bodies are better formed than what I can achieve in a gym.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 5:46:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mike9199] [#29]
I found crossfit to be kinda addictive, maybe something else worth checking out? Going to try the kettlebell swings from on my next workout, here is the right way to do it https://betterme.world/articles/100-kettlebell-swings-a-day-weight-loss/. I am not a big fan of gyms, so have all the basic small gear at home and try to exercise regularly in my garage or in front of my house in the summer.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By GrumpyinStL:
I do weights, but less so these days.  I do not want muscle bulk.  I want longer more pliable muscles.  I prefer coordination exercise with strength building components built in.
I row and do heavy interval training on the rower. It builds cardio and a kind of lean strength without bulk.  
My neighbor has a big tire for construction equipment I can use to spend an hour manhandling/flipping around.
I also bought a scythe to do some weed cutting at some lots I do work on, instead of using weed wacker all the time--great workout.
I also bought a one man saw for cutting wood instead of using chainsaw all the time.  
The Amish men I know from outstate have the kind of body I am looking for.  Lean, agile, with muscles formed by appropriate work instead of a gym.  
I don't have the farm work they do so I supplement with indoor exercise; but I think their bodies are better formed than what I can achieve in a gym.
View Quote

Doesn't mean compound barbell exercises wouldn't get you to your goal, and past it.

Low volume, meaning sets of 5s, 3s, doubles and singles.  With high intensity, 80+% of your 1RM.  Squats, presses and pulls.  Would damn sure get you stronger, faster.

Want coordination?  How about mobility and explosiveness, better general athleticism?  Add in the snatch and clean & jerk and their variations.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Tanren37:

Doesn't mean compound barbell exercises wouldn't get you to your goal, and past it.

Low volume, meaning sets of 5s, 3s, doubles and singles.  With high intensity, 80+% of your 1RM.  Squats, presses and pulls.  Would damn sure get you stronger, faster.

Want coordination?  How about mobility and explosiveness, better general athleticism?  Add in the snatch and clean & jerk and their variations.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tanren37:
Originally Posted By GrumpyinStL:

Lol but his strength is so functional.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 1:19:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Lol but his strength is so functional.
View Quote

Did I get meme'd?  I got meme'd didn't I?

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#33]
So I ended up taking a month off. I was super sick twice in a few weeks, then trying to get back in the gym. Just finished first week back in and I'm stoked to be back in.  

My nutrition fell off obviously, and my sufficient eating calorie wise via good lunch, dinner, and chocy milk after workout stopped.

I've noticed though my lifts are not good. For example I was OHP 135 for 2-3 reps, and benching 225 for 3-4 reps.

Now I'm struggling with getting 115 OHP for 3, and bench of 155 for 3-4.  It just doesn't feel like I am as strong as I was.
I'm wondering if its normal to take some time after being sick to get back up to speed, or if nutrition is actually that badass of a deal to strength?

I've not wanted to turn the calories on, until I was reliable at the gym so I'm gonna work on fixing that.

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#34]
So I ended up taking a month off. I was super sick twice in a few weeks, then trying to get back in the gym. Just finished first week back in and I'm stoked to be back in.  

My nutrition fell off obviously, and my sufficient eating calorie wise via good lunch, dinner, and chocy milk after workout stopped.

I've noticed though my lifts are not good. For example I was OHP 135 for 2-3 reps, and benching 225 for 3-4 reps.

Now I'm struggling with getting 115 OHP for 3, and bench of 155 for 3-4.  It just doesn't feel like I am as strong as I was.
I'm wondering if its normal to take some time after being sick to get back up to speed, or if nutrition is actually that badass of a deal to strength?

I've not wanted to turn the calories on, until I was reliable at the gym so I'm gonna work on fixing that.

View Quote

I'm going to go with the lack of lifting. My son took about 10 days off from his lifting routine for college wrestling - they track everything on an app. There is no nutrition plan with it right now. He was surprised at how his lifting dropped off after those 10 days.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

It's normal, especially with upper body lifts as they tend to need more frequency.

Also, being sick usually makes you slack on nutrition, so you're weight might slip a bit.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#36]
So I'm 6'0 almost 6'1. 34-36" jeans.  Varied from 175 to 200.

More or less always been averageish to decent, aka not fat. My frame size is capable of more though.  

I don't eat fast food, drink much pop, try to avoid beer or alcohol.

I've always been a fan of homework outs with simple stuff like pushups. Work provides a gym membership though.

Kinda want a simple nutrition and workout routine.

If it comes in a box or bag (outside of like pasta, or vegetables), or goes in the microwave I try to avoid it.  Nutrition for burning weight I can do, but it seems like nutrition for building big muscle I haven't ever been able to do.

Working out every day is not of interest. MWF if more my style.

Thanks
View Quote

Nutrition for building muscle involves big eating.  200 grams of protein a day is your starting point.

After that, it’s really discretionary.  Yes, clean food like veggies helps your micro nutrients, but that’s at the bottom of your priority list. Don’t be afraid to pound some bbq, pizza, ice cream, or Cinnamon toast crunch to get those calories.  

For reference, you’re a little taller than me with a similar weight range. I eat 3600-4000cals per day and gain about 3/4# per week when I’m trying to add muscle.

You shouldn’t have any issues getting 200g protein a day off your meals but protein shakes are your friend if you are.

After the diet, you need to be hitting the gym hard with a focus on compound lifts and progressive overload.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Nutrition is way more important than even exercise IMO and it gets more and more important the older you get.

Nutrition is key. Macro nutrients have to be balanced right to give you enough energy in carbs for your cardio (you should be doing cardio every single day), enough fat for healthy brain function, and enough protein to sustain or even build muscle mass.   You need your micronutrients to avoid injury, aid in recovery between workouts, and be consistent throughout the year in your health journey.  

You don't need to lift weight every single day and, in fact, especially for those of us who are older it is probably more beneficial for you to have rest days between lifts.  How many rest days are right for you depends on your weight lifting regiment that you follow and your individual physical state (you know your body, you know your old injuries, you should be connected and listen to what your body tells you not just follow some plan printed off the internet).   Cardio needs to be every single day though, I don't care what you're doing, but you should be doing at least 45 minutes of cardio every day.  That doesn't have to be, nor should it be, running every single day, because that's not sustainable for most people without injury.  You shouldn't run more than three times a week and the other four days should be filled doing 45 minutes of some other cardio (air bike, rower, swim, whatever).   Everything is about going long term, fitness after awhile should be like you're on cruise control, it's just part of life.  

I think the most important and overlooked thing above nutrition and exercise even that NOBODY talks about is the mental aspect.  You need to be motivating yourself daily (I don't know what that looks like for you, but you do, get motivated, get pumped, get excited about fitness every damn day).   You need to be managing stress in life, because working hard even just mentally drains a man and this world will beat you down while placing temptations in front of you like fatty and/or junk food, alcohol, partying resulting in bad sleep, and on and on.  There are demons out there brothers and every single day they're trying to make you weaker, make you not go to the gym or eat and drink shit that sabotages yourself.  You have to learn to how to fight those temptations and keep your stress in check so that it's easier to fight those temptations.  Work on your mind and spirit not just your body, because they're all connected.  

Link Posted: 6/27/2023 12:23:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By xXGearheadXx:

Nutrition for building muscle involves big eating.  200 grams of protein a day is your starting point.

After that, it’s really discretionary.  Yes, clean food like veggies helps your micro nutrients, but that’s at the bottom of your priority list. Don’t be afraid to pound some bbq, pizza, ice cream, or Cinnamon toast crunch to get those calories.  

For reference, you’re a little taller than me with a similar weight range. I eat 3600-4000cals per day and gain about 3/4# per week when I’m trying to add muscle.

You shouldn’t have any issues getting 200g protein a day off your meals but protein shakes are your friend if you are.

After the diet, you need to be hitting the gym hard with a focus on compound lifts and progressive overload.
View Quote

God damn I thought 2k -2500 was pretty stout. I don't even know if I could physically consume that much food haha. I do push for the 180-200 grams of protein though.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 12:26:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By GUNGUY148:

Lots of good info here, he's also juiced to the moon. There's nothing wrong with that but it's a huge factor that shouldn't be overlooked.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GUNGUY148:
Originally Posted By Spatten:
Start here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cW0EmO12Lk

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rTTRl-tuAs

If you want to get jacked, train to build muscle and eat to build muscle. Sounds insulting, but a lot of people do not know what that means.

Lots of good info here, he's also juiced to the moon. There's nothing wrong with that but it's a huge factor that shouldn't be overlooked.

RP is pretty open about who’s on gear and who isn’t. Their information is primarily geared towards natties, and if they are addressing something specific to enhanced lifters, they’ll say so.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 4:36:21 AM EDT
[#40]

God damn I thought 2k -2500 was pretty stout. I don't even know if I could physically consume that much food haha. I do push for the 180-200 grams of protein though.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By xXGearheadXx:

I did 4000/day during my first ever bulk, I fucking hated it.

I started at 145 lbs, so you can imagine the shock from the habit change.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

View Quote

I'm just real worried if I pounded that much I'd get fat first.

I guess I focus on getting 180-200 g of protein, and however that comes in calorie wise is cool.

Had my 2nd week back in the gym, and got my nutrition and sleep on point. Most of my exercises are close to where I was before, just need to get my OHP up.
Thanks for the help/advice everyone.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#42]

I guess I focus on getting 180-200 g of protein, and however that comes in calorie wise is cool.

Had my 2nd week back in the gym, and got my nutrition and sleep on point. Most of my exercises are close to where I was before, just need to get my OHP up.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

It's a legitimate concern. I had a lot of new muscle to build and I was in my 20's, it went very well.

The following year I tried the same thing again.....and I put on a lot of fat that time. I had to dial it back to a slow bulk process.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:11:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chromekilla] [#43]
What does everyone think of this diet?

Typical diet every day consists of

Breakfast- Not much, coffee with milk/ maybe bananas, or protein bar. Sometimes I have a couple of instant waffles with syrup/peanut butter.
Sometimes I throw a peanut butter and jelly, or cheese and mustard sandwich in there. Basically 0 protein.

Lunchish- Usually an apple, couple of hardboiled eggs, couple cheese sticks. Usually something like a snack bar, but a healthish one. Then greek yogurt.
Typically a few pieces, maybe 4 ounces of meat. I figure 25-50 grams of protein or so.

Dinner/After gym is my big meal.
Protein shake right after-25 grams protein.
Hardboiled or two, a decent amount of cottage cheese, usually 1 cheese stick.-Maybe 15
Typically try to get 8 ounces of meat usually beef either ground, or steak, or pork tenderloin, or fish. - I've developed a strong interest in frozen ground beef pattys because they cook while I do other stuff after the gym. Is that the worst?

I make shrimp/ jasmine rice/vegetables a decent bit. As well as beef teriyaki with vegatables, usually no rice. - Id wager 30 grams.
A big ole glass of milk/chocolate milk-10+
Typically an apple, or peach, or strawberries.-0
Greek yogurt- 14 grams

I shoot for around 150-200 grams of protein per day.

Basically if it comes in a box or bag I don't really eat it. Although I've developed a bad thing for pita chips

Most of my work outs I've increased reps up to around 12 or so on the isolation kind of exercises.  But I vary it sometimes I go a lot of weight low reps, others I drop the weight and go until I burn out.

Preacher curls, triceps press down, one arm lat pulldown and bench are my favorite.
Barbell wrist girls are also quite fun, its wild how no matter what you do eventually your arms will not grab/provide grip strength anymore.
Leg presses are decently fun.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By D6T:
I used to be deeply entrenched in the bodybuilding lifestyle and community. I went to high school with this gentleman and had much of my early learning and inspiration alongside him. I was one of the major players in the Massachusetts bodybuilding scene in the mid- to late-90s, had a blast, met a ton of awesome people, and at times am surprised I survived with my health intact.

That being said, I’m not sure if the actual goal here is strength that can be applied, looks, or both.

I’ll invite the 800lb gorilla that’s in the room, into this thread.

If a major reason why you’re in the iron game is to to look good, know that those who you see in contests are probably running strong diuretics, chasing extreme precontest diets (I knew a guy who ate nothing but boiled 93 percent lean ground beef precontest), and taking supplements that you won’t find in stores.

I’m not saying a single law is being broken, rather they have the network of acquaintances and the knowledge needed to get some unusual supplements. Obviously AAS are part of it; I’m referring to things for vascularity/“pump” and whatnot.

The posing photos that make it to publication are a look that the person will hold for contest day and contest day only. If you think those who compete in the Arnold look like that every day, or even a week precontest, then you’re in for a surprise (and some medical issues) if you try to achieve that.

As far as strength training goes, everyone will respond differently. Take the time to try different moves and different quantities of each.

If you plan to be in this for the long term, find out what exercises work for you and invest in your own equipment accordingly. Free weights and proper form were always far more effective for me than most machines. A machine can teach you form, but do you really want to rely on it for every time you do that move? I’m not saying to not invest in a squat rack, but your home gym doesn’t need 20 different silly racks and machines. You can do almost anything with about a bedroom-sized home gym if you only buy what you need.

Learn the theories behind calisthenics and take advantage of your own body weight for mini workouts anywhere and any time you have the opportunity. It pays off in the long run.

Don’t be afraid to talk to people at a gym. Some won’t want to engage in conversation about anything while others won’t shut up once you get the ball rolling. If you see someone doing something that’s new to you, ask what it’s called, then look it up online later. If time permits, ask how it’s done.

Safety first isn’t just a nice phrase for the insurance companies to push— you’ll regret it if you try to cut corners and end up with an injury.
View Quote

Listen to this man!

Diet contributes greatly to bulk. High protein, 1.1 for 1 (gram to body weight) per day is ideal, spacing out consumption so your body will absorb it and not poop it all out. If you burn all your calories by the end of the day you will lose weight, so maintaining a caloric excess is important to bulk.

I (try) to maintain a bulking “season” and, If I feel like it, will go through a caloric deficit while maintaining lifting in order to have a cutting “season.” You do you though. Keep the protein up! Chicken and eggs
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#45]

Correct. You will get bigger by doing pretty much anything to some extent.

If you want to get bigger/faster/stronger than the people who skip squatting and deadlifting the squat and deadlift.
View Quote

This is a high quality post.  Skipping squats and deadlifts (without a REALLY good reason that absolutely necessitates it) is one of the worst strategies I can imagine.  
I did it for years when I started lifting due to receiving bad bro science and struggled to make gains in size and strength.  Then I got wise, started squatting and deadlifting, and the results were awesome.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Do you have a smart phone? Can you use Apps on it with relative ease?

If yes to both, than I have to tell you the MyFitnessPal App is a great tool.  You figure out your maintenance calorie number to stay at your current weight, there are free online calculator to do that with.  You can then takes those calories and divide them equally between Protein (1 gram = 4 calories), Carbohydrates (1 gram = 4 calories), and Fat (1 gram = 9 calories).   Now you have a balanced diet of "x" amount of Carbs, Protein, and Fat. You can then enter what you eat into the MyFitnessPall App by either searching for it in the App as easily if you were doing a Google search or by scanning with your phone camera anything that has a bar code, boxed or canned isn't necessarily bad for you from weight loss or gain perspective.  You weight your food and ingredients on a digital food scale and that helps with figure out anything that you have to cook.  Hell, a lot of restaurants have their entire menus on MyFitnessPal so you can look up things you order as well like McDonald's Chicken sandwich and enter it, this gives you incredible flexibilty, because "hey, sometime work or what means you can't eat something made up from all natural food from Whole Foods."  

As you use the App, it gets easier to use.  You can save favorite dishes in it and the foods you enter most often will show up first in the searches first.  It becomes a way of life and you'll know exactly what you're consuming as easily as checking Instagram.  Once you form this habit you'll have control, because only once we can measure something can we get it under control.  We all know that without metrics are work or in our workouts we'd have a hard time measuring our progress and improving.  For example, if you never paid any attention to how much weight you were lifting and just blindly put plates on a bar every week it would be a real inefficient way to lift weights right?  If you never timed your runs or watched your heart rate during a run or never paid any attention to how far you ran than you'd be a really shitty runner right?  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top