BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First race coming up this weekend and it a 85mi  Gravel Grinder.  Those of you that are less focused on being first and more focused on having a good time should try this gravel stuff.  There's usually music/beer/and food trucks for the family and a big party for the finishers.  Its scenic as hell and a test of your planning skills.  Usually there's no chance of winning because retired/active pros show up for these.  This weekend Ted King (former Peter Sagan Teammate) is racing so it will be neat to line up against someone that had World Tour speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2ngKpQXV1k
View Quote
Someday I will try out a gravel race..they look like so much fun.  Yet another reason for the N+1 bike count....
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

4.99/60.32
View Quote
4.47/64.79

The trail was a bit over my skill level. I felt better when I was finished.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
First race coming up this weekend and it a 85mi  Gravel Grinder.  Those of you that are less focused on being first and more focused on having a good time should try this gravel stuff.  There's usually music/beer/and food trucks for the family and a big party for the finishers.  Its scenic as hell and a test of your planning skills.  Usually there's no chance of winning because retired/active pros show up for these.  This weekend Ted King (former Peter Sagan Teammate) is racing so it will be neat to line up against someone that had World Tour speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2ngKpQXV1k
View Quote
Someday, I'd like to try one.  My buddy did the Dirty Kanza 200 miler a few years back.  He came in 3rd and finished ahead of a lot of 100 mile racers!  Very cool atmosphere and vibe at those races.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:00:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like I am finishing January with 178 miles. Trying for at least 200 in February.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice GaryM.

I'm at 122 miles / 18,000 feet of climbing.  Now that it's staying light later, I hope to get some more miles in after work.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice GaryM.

I'm at 122 miles / 18,000 feet of climbing.  Now that it's staying light later, I hope to get some more miles in after work.
View Quote
You definitely have me beat on climbing. Here is Florida I might have 25 feet of climbing for the month. Most of that was from putting the bike in the back of the truck.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#7]
167 mi for me for Jan (with 2190ft ascending)

Looking for 233 in Feb.

That's the most for me for January in the last 6 years so I'm ok with it. It seemed to rain on my usual days alot last month.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#8]
85mi yesterday at the oklahoma gravel growler..I rode poorly and my garmin broke but its always sweet to cross a finish line.  Ex-pro Ted King won the whole shebang
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
85mi yesterday at the oklahoma gravel growler..I rode poorly and my garmin broke but its always sweet to cross a finish line.  Ex-pro Ted King won the whole shebang
View Quote
But did you get strava record? lol Cool 85 miles on gravel sounds hard as heck.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
But did you get strava record? lol Cool 85 miles on gravel sounds hard as heck.
View Quote
Nope ..I cribbed the Strava stats from the guy I crossed the line  with and input it manually..And I took a pic of the results sheet lol
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nope ..I cribbed the Strava stats from the guy I crossed the line  with and input it manually..And I took a pic of the results sheet lol
View Quote
Works for me.  Good job!
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

4.47/64.79
View Quote
2.91/67.70
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Stage race this weekend.  This morning 8 mile ITT, this afternoon crit then Sunday 70 mile RR.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Finished up my stage race.  It looks like I got 8th overall in the GC.

9th in the 8 mile ITT got 19:58 NP was 330watts Average Power was 309.
25th in the 45 minutes Crit which is just fine.  Dropped 2 over 1000Watt bombs and 4 over 800 watt bombs.
and in the first pack in the 65 mile Road Race.  Dropped 3 800watt bombs and one 1100 watt bomb.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Finished up my stage race.  It looks like I got 8th overall in the GC.

9th in the 8 mile ITT got 19:58 NP was 330watts Average Power was 309.
25th in the 45 minutes Crit which is just fine.  Dropped 2 over 1000Watt bombs and 4 over 800 watt bombs.
and in the first pack in the 65 mile Road Race.  Dropped 3 800watt bombs and one 1100 watt bomb.
View Quote
Those are some great power numbers!
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:22:56 AM EDT
[#16]
14.3 /467
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I guess I'm in with 11.9/307
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

2.91/67.70
View Quote
Family ride With a little solo trail ride thrown in.
10.84/78.54
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:10:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Zero ride this whole week....working in St. Louis but will be home Monday.  So all next week major miles to build back up.  I have races both Saturday and Sunday next weekend luckily they are "flat".  Day one I will be doing only 40 some miles with the 3/4.  Sunday same distance with just the 4's.  The weather looks like rain and cold both days so I will roll with my AL wide rims and GP 4 season tires.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#20]
20/107

Planning my first ever century ride for end of March or early Apr on the PA Grand Canyon rail trail.  I think it is 62 miles one way. Was going to ride south to north and then back.

Anyone ever ride it?  Looks very flat.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Been lazy lately (excuse: regular snowstorms, albeit lame, because I have a fatbike) and finally got a couple rides in.  Today was 65 degrees and sunny despite there being a foot of snow on the ground.  Roads were mostly dry, so I rolled out the gravel bike.  Lots of riders out today.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Two races this weekend at Pace Bend Park.

Saturday's race was with the Cat 3/4 at a short 31 miles.  Average speed was 25.8MPH....it was moving fast.  I was working that day and was blocker....our team got 1st.  I got 63rd 2nd to last in the front pack hahaha

Sunday was a longer 41 mile Cat 4 race.  This time I was more looking to get a better finish.  I as always worked the front of the pack waaaay too much.  Blocked for about 25 miles as one of our guys was in a breakaway.  But he slowly died on in the last 6 miles....so I entered into get a lead out train to get some places for our team.  1KM to go and I am 4th bike in the lead out train and the last 200 meters is all uphill.  So I dropped about 1000watts for 5-7 seconds and got 3rd.  I was 2nd in the pack sprint....a super strong Cat4 dude stayed ahead for 25 miles solo.  He is now on our team this season

I figure not bad since I am nearly 2x the age of most of the racers out in my pack.

What has really sucked is my work still keeps sending me to St Louis each week and kills my miles.....I fly out tomorrow and return Thursday....just in time for yet another 2 day weekend race here that is super hilly....Lance won it many times in the '90's (before he was pro and cheating and such...)
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#23]
sounds like a good time fourman
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#24]
29/418
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Two races this weekend at Pace Bend Park.

Saturday's race was with the Cat 3/4 at a short 31 miles.  Average speed was 25.8MPH....it was moving fast.  I was working that day and was blocker....our team got 1st.  I got 63rd 2nd to last in the front pack hahaha

Sunday was a longer 41 mile Cat 4 race.  This time I was more looking to get a better finish.  I as always worked the front of the pack waaaay too much.  Blocked for about 25 miles as one of our guys was in a breakaway.  But he slowly died on in the last 6 miles....so I entered into get a lead out train to get some places for our team.  1KM to go and I am 4th bike in the lead out train and the last 200 meters is all uphill.  So I dropped about 1000watts for 5-7 seconds and got 3rd.  I was 2nd in the pack sprint....a super strong Cat4 dude stayed ahead for 25 miles solo.  He is now on our team this season

I figure not bad since I am nearly 2x the age of most of the racers out in my pack.

What has really sucked is my work still keeps sending me to St Louis each week and kills my miles.....I fly out tomorrow and return Thursday....just in time for yet another 2 day weekend race here that is super hilly....Lance won it many times in the '90's (before he was pro and cheating and such...)
View Quote
Good job...we arent doing crit/road races locally for another few weeks..mountain and gravel for the time being...both of which I suck at
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#26]
A very disappointing 44.8 miles for February for me. Total for year is 222.8 miles. I have to pick it up next month.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

4.47/64.79
View Quote
25.21/90

Haven’t been riding much. Was tough but great. Legs are gelatin now.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Well travel this week so not much miles...then a 40 mile race today.  I was doing good and was lining up for the sprint, but just started 100 feet too soon.....so got 10th out of 55 racers.  Tomorrow we do the same course but reverse direction, which is going to be really hard with rolling hills.  Today was just one long climb which is easy to work on.  The back side descents today I got to around 50 mph.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#29]
44/161

1st ride outside today.  Didn't feel that great towards the end of the ride.  Gotta start upping the length of each session.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Doing a 6 mile Time Trial this weekend ...There is road racing and crit available but I passed on that.  I just want to go balls out for 12min under pressure and see what the power meter says.  Next weekend is Mid South 100.

21/691
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:14:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Doing a 6 mile Time Trial this weekend ...There is road racing and crit available but I passed on that.  I just want to go balls out for 12min under pressure and see what the power meter says.  Next weekend is Mid South 100.

21/691
View Quote
oh nice. ITT are fun....
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 10:43:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Interesting rides these last 2 days. Yesterday was 21 miles on a road bike with mountain bike bars. I set it up to ride in the city. Heads up riding means I can see better and is easier on my neck and wrists. Today was on an old recumbent (Vision R54). Same route. I wanted to see how they compared. Apparently damn close on speed. Time difference between the two was about a minute and a half.
However the recumbent won on comfort so my next long distance ride will be on it.
BTW, is there anyway to include notes on Strava? I would like to add details for later comparisons.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

25.21/90
View Quote
4.2/94.2

Technical trail
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Did a one way time trial yesterday. The whole thing was into the wind. I let it get into my head and didn't pace well. Stunk it up at Cat 5 but I did beat a lot of the collegiate competitors times strangely enough.

Did a ride on the gravel bike this morning to the lake and back

35/732
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#35]
11.77/477

Rocky MTB TT today.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Driveway Crit series started today...I got 2nd in the 4/5 Mens.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nice!

I'm going race MidSouth 100 this Saturday. We have a lot of rain forecast and everybody is freaking out over Corona but I'm still headed that way
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Nice!

I'm going race MidSouth 100 this Saturday. We have a lot of rain forecast and everybody is freaking out over Corona but I'm still headed that way
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

Yeah I am not sure about next week's race but we will see.  I want to hit it since I think I can win and get the leaders jersey.  I know the kid that took 1st and 3rd will not be there next week so this is my chance to get ahead.  The forecast also is wet next week...today was perfect 85 degrees.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Driveway Week 1 3/12/2020 Cat 4/5

For your viewing enjoyment....my crit this last Thursday...front and rear camera with notes during the whole race.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nqoDaZ4snA

For your viewing enjoyment....my crit this last Thursday...front and rear camera with notes during the whole race.
View Quote
You said you had about 5-6 VC racers in this field?  Vegan Cyclist, you with them?  It looked like you were going to have it at the end there.

Weather was nice in PA.  Rode on Saturday and Sunday for a combined 28 miles, forgot to turn the GPS on at the beginning of the ride on Saturday.  Happened to be leaving my development at the same time as another guy that rides on Sunday.  He asked if I wanted to tag along, so I figure I'd change my loop up.  Nice for a change of pace.  I was not as strong as him though.

Happy riding everyone
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 8:51:01 AM EDT
[#41]
I was looking at stats and decided I am not accepting any more followers nor will I follow anyone new.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You said you had about 5-6 VC racers in this field?  Vegan Cyclist, you with them?  It looked like you were going to have it at the end there.

Weather was nice in PA.  Rode on Saturday and Sunday for a combined 28 miles, forgot to turn the GPS on at the beginning of the ride on Saturday.  Happened to be leaving my development at the same time as another guy that rides on Sunday.  He asked if I wanted to tag along, so I figure I'd change my loop up.  Nice for a change of pace.  I was not as strong as him though.

Happy riding everyone
View Quote
lol sorry...here in Austin that is Violet Crown Racing.  Our team has been VC for over 40 years now.  oh and I like meat
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#43]
I saw this posted on bikeforums and thought it was interesting:

Santa Clara County order: https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/DiseaseInformation/novel-coronavirus/Pages/order-health-officer-031620.aspx

(San Francisco's is the same)

Quote:
For purposes of this Order, individuals may leave their residence only to perform any of the following "Essential Activities." But people at high risk of severe illness from COVID-19 and people who are sick are urged to stay in their residence to the extent possible except as necessary to seek medical care.
Quote:
10. Definitions and Exemptions.
a. For purposes of this Order, individuals may leave their residence only to perform any of the following "Essential Activities." But people at high risk of severe illness from COVID-19 and people who are sick are urged to stay in their residence to the extent possible except as necessary to seek medical care.
iii. To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, or running.
View Quote
My parents are older with diabetes and prior heart conditions so after I got them set they've been staying inside. I've only been leaving the house to ride 3-4 times a week, figured it's ok since I interact with no one for the 2-3 hours I'm out. Helps with the stress relief too. Did a little 55 mile jaunt out to a local quarry and found a nice pry bar on the way home.

Link Posted: 3/19/2020 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#44]
15/209

Starting to see a lot more people out riding here in PA.

@Whamo I think remaining at 87 is perfect.  haha, true arfcom fashion
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nqoDaZ4snA

View Quote
Nice job! Hope you guys get to keep racing
in some form ..Our local crits are supposed to start next month but I have no idea what that status is. If you get cooped up he's a movie for you.

American Crit II: Tough Days of Tulsa
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Nice job! Hope you guys get to keep racing
in some form ..Our local crits are supposed to start next month but I have no idea what that status is. If you get cooped up he's a movie for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0nI74CyYTI
View Quote
Great series.  I don't expect any racing until USAC says go.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#47]
23/308

Who is Krankenstein XC on here?  You are really putting out the numbers this year.

Also noticed your did Stage 1 - longer ride (34 miles) on zwift in 1 hr 21 minutes and it took me 1 hour 11 minutes to do stage 1 shorter loop (22 miles).  Haha, nice work.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:05:26 AM EDT
[#48]
178.5 miles for March, added to the 222.8 gives me 401.3 for the year so far. I still need to pick it up if I want to get to my goal of 2k.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 7:21:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Taking advantage of living on the edge of National Forest (flat with pretty well packed sand roads right now) for the last month.  A 21 miler today will get me to over 600 mi for the year, so only a week behind my 200 mi/month goal.  Getting some miles on my Surly ECR backup bike, too.

Trying to mostly get my base back up after being overworked and under-biked during the 2nd half of last year.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#50]
@DDalton - post up some pics of that ECR.  Neat bike.  Do you bikepack with it?
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top