BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 1:41:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's why you fix it now. So when it's heavy you don't break yourself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im not in competition with kaikfit, thats just too much sexy.  

Feelij good after second go around of workout A.  No soreness to speak of.  My squat form prob sucks but the weight is light.
That's why you fix it now. So when it's heavy you don't break yourself.
I need some vids to compare form with y'all who have been at it for longer.  I wonder what the 24hr fitness policy is on daedon ASS's and boxers?  Gotta keep it scientific
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If your form sucks, pull weight off the bar.

If you’re looking in mirrors, your form sucks.

Post vid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear you, I think im going down too low on squats at this weight, because its so easy.   There are mirrors to the front and side and the bar seems to be going straight up and down.  I might try to set up my phone to vid myself to see how bad the form is.
Need side view for squats for sure.

And video all lifts so I can tell you how wrong you are doing them.

Feelij good after second go around of workout A.  No soreness to speak of.  My squat form prob sucks but the weight is light.

Post vid.
Many personal trainers disagree, but if you're ugly, you should avoid all mirrors
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You're right, i cant look in the mirror and have good form!

I think what i need to work on most is hand placement, my wrists are too bent, but the weight is still feeling plenty light to mess with that.

I've watched (and continuing to watch) tons of squat vids on youtube and have had a tiny bit of help at the gym.
View Quote
Try low bar squats and rest the bar on top of your shoulder blades after squeezing them together. Grip the bar from the top keeping your elbows pointed backwards (ie not downward) and wrists straight to avoid squatter's wrist.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think what i need to work on most is hand placement, my wrists are too bent, but the weight is still feeling plenty light to mess with that.

I've watched (and continuing to watch) tons of squat vids on youtube and have had a tiny bit of help at the gym.
View Quote
Actually you can't look in the mirror at yourself and have good form on bench, squat or deads.  You aren't supposed to be looking at different spots as you move.  The video is also for you.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Many personal trainers disagree, but if you're ugly, you should avoid all mirrors
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear you, I think im going down too low on squats at this weight, because its so easy.   There are mirrors to the front and side and the bar seems to be going straight up and down.  I might try to set up my phone to vid myself to see how bad the form is.

Post vid.
And 99% of personal trainers would fail at analyzing the biomechanics of a squat. Because physics be hard yo!
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Post vid.

Work on shoving yourself under the bar to get better mobility. Don’t wrap your thumbs and don’t worry about “gripping” the bar. I only have my middle-pinky fingers on the bar.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Actually you can't look in the mirror at yourself and have good form on bench, squat or deads.  You aren't supposed to be looking at different spots as you move.  The video is also for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rite, i no.

I am still grabbing the bar weird on squats, i think.  It seems like im doing things right, other than my wrists being bent... so its all wrong i guess. lol.

I had to use the dumb half cage thing last workout, and its protective side bars were so high that i was bumping the bar if i wasnt careful.

Im gonna do like was suggested above next time maybe, and get less hand on the bar.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Try low bar squats and rest the bar on top of your shoulder blades after squeezing them together. Grip the bar from the top keeping your elbows pointed backwards (ie not downward) and wrists straight to avoid squatter's wrist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I need more of that, i think
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Rite, i no.

I am still grabbing the bar weird on squats, i think.  It seems like im doing things right, other than my wrists being bent... so its all wrong i guess. lol.

I had to use the dumb half cage thing last workout, and its protective side bars were so high that i was bumping the bar if i wasnt careful.

Im gonna do like was suggested above next time maybe, and get less hand on the bar.
View Quote
It's not really about getting less hand on the bar. It's about bringing your hand (fingers) over the top of the bar so that your wrists are not holding weight of the bar (which should be resting on your back). The wrist to elbow should be straight.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Op I'll try to help clarify the low bar position. You want to get the bar to rest on the spine of the scapula. Its a little lower than the top of the shoulder blade.

Since you've had a big bench I'm assuming you know how to retract your scapula. When you stand at the bar to squat, raise your chest up and make a proud chest or Superman chest as some call it and retract your scapula.

Get under the bar and slide the bar down until you find the shelf which is the spine of the scapula.
Do this while keeping your grip as narrow as you can. This will be determined now by your current mobility. If you can't get very narrow right now that's ok you can progressively move your grip in closer everytime you squat until it's as narrow as you can get with your particular arm length.

This should be uncomfortable but not painful, if that makes sense. If you're comfortable you probably aren't tight enough.

Regarding the grip put your thumbs on top of the bar with your other fingers, basically don't grip the bar thumbs around. If you keep your chest up and scapula retracted your wrist should be pretty straight, it doesn't have to be perfect. A little extension is probably better than flexion.

If the bar is on the spine of the scapula most of the weight should be resting there when you unrack. If you unrack and feel the weight pushing on your wrist/forearms then re-rack the bar and try to get your scapula tighter and chest up more and maybe narrow grip some.

Also when you unrack 'squat' the bar up with hips/legs don't raise your shoulders to get it up.
Don't try to push your elbows up or down this can make your upper back round and make it hard to keep your chest up.

I hope that helps, but also I'd recommend going through the starting strength videos on YouTube. There's quite a few on the general positioning and then more on the specifics. Then video yourself so you can see what's going on and make adjustments.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 6:31:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, that was helpful.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Rite, i no.

View Quote
Take some videos.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here is another example - about 7 months of progressions, starting @ 110lbs

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60523/bench-716984.jpg

Body composition changes through the first 4 of those months.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/Progress3-620776.jpg
View Quote
Doing any supplemental work after your main work?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Take some videos.
View Quote
OP, just post some vids.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is another example - about 7 months of progressions, starting @ 110lbs

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60523/bench-716984.jpg

Body composition changes through the first 4 of those months.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/Progress3-620776.jpg
Not a lot.

Maybe one or two per session from this list:

Face pulls
calf raises
Close grip supinated chin ups
tricep work (cable pushdowns, french press, etc)
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#16]
About to start trying 5x5, anyone work in dips, dumbbell flyes or inclined bench to the program? Looking to hit chest harder.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
About to start trying 5x5, anyone work in dips, barbell flyes or inclined bench to the program? Looking to hit chest harder.
View Quote
Barbell flyes must be brutal.

Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/QYaPvAyzrsU/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
Rofl

I meant dumbbells obviously but that pic is hilarious.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Rofl

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rofl

I would just stick with dips if you want to build your chest up a bit. My bench sucks, but I've done lots of dips weighted and unweighted with decent results.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm digging the bends in his rack.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I would just stick with dips if you want to build your chest up a bit. My bench sucks, but I've done lots of dips weighted and unweighted with decent results.
View Quote
Trying to hit upper chest more as well. I know dips should take care of the lower part pretty well but my upper chest is lagging. Youtubing help is all but worthless, "want bigger chest? Watch this 30 minute video of me trying to get you to buy my program!" -jeff cavaliere
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Trying to hit upper chest more as well. I know dips should take care of the lower part pretty well but my upper chest is lagging. Youtubing help is all but worthless, "want bigger chest? Watch this 30 minute video of me trying to get you to buy my program!" -jeff cavaliere
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're a natty then you might not have much upper chest to bring up.

Try the floor press with a closer grip though, you should feel a pump there.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Building chests (especially upper) requires lots of reps.
You need to do incline presses with the bench at a higher angle (i.e. back straighter up) flys and dumbbell pullovers.

Floor press works the regular chest muscles usually at a sticking point in your rep and with close grip it focuses more on the triceps.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Now strangely I want to do barbell flys.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm gonna order a second rogue Ohio bar and do it
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Post vid
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#27]
My wrists are saying no thank you.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a deadlift bar and Ohio bar. Should work.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I needed more room. Was pretty easy. I could do way more weight.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpnmHBqhdty/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ebb62s256lrv
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:56:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm digging the bends in his rack.
View Quote
He bought the rack used and cheap on Craigslist that way. Those damages are from the previous owner. Previous owner was found diseased and partially decomposed a week after a squat day.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#31]
It's been going great.

I'm through the first two weeks.  i am feeling stronger and in better shape already, for sure.  More energy (despite being kinda sore a decent amount of the time) and less stress, too.

In the past I did lots of random barbell and cable exercises. Staying away from those and only doing the major compound lifts is making my muscles grow more evenly on chest/back, bi/tri, quad/glute than i am used to, which is pretty awesome.

Someone wanting to hit things harder should just start with higher weights like i did, rather than add a bunch of exercises that might not let you recover correctly, imo. I am pretty sore a good percentage of the time.  Yesterday, i did 10 pullups and some barbell curls after my big 3, but it seemed kinda redundant, like i should have just worked on my form on the others more, or just been patient for next exercises, since the program main exercises are so good.

After you are a few weeks in, you can start evaluating that stuff, but stick to the basics at first.  I am still working on my form on every exercise and improving my form every time.  i am just a noob, but that's my opiniom.

Today is an off day, i was feeling pretty inflexible because my muscles have been gainzing so hard, so i did 10 x 100m sprints.  Feelsgoodman.

I have been incorporating everyone's tips, thanks guys!

Day 1:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Today:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Still no video though.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Still no video though.
View Quote
I recorded some, but they were big ass files so i deleted. Ill record and archive soon.

Form was pretty decent
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I have been eating so much.  been so hungry.

I've only been to the gym 6 times, but it's been accidentally making me do other healthy things.

I haven't been having afternoon drinks because i dont want to fall over under the bar

Here's where I'm at:
Attachment Attached File

Gonna start gettin heavy pretty soon
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I recorded some, but they were big ass files so i deleted. Ill record and archive soon.

Form was pretty decent
View Quote
You need to cut them down and then upload.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I started the starting strength workout today and started with the bar.  I was questioning too whether to increase the starting weight but stayed at 45lbs because I have a sore shoulder and thought I'd ease into it.

Previously I haven't followed a program but just did bench, dead, curls, cables, and whatever I felt that day. Was up to 170 sets for bench so the doing the bar now feels goofy but whatever.  I saw some nice gains initially but plateaued then was out of the gym for several months.  Hoping actually following a program will keep me motivated and get me in the shape I want.

Edit:  I'm in the same age/weight range as others here.  6', 172lbs.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Hope I'm not butting into your thread, OP.

Some notes on my 5x5 progress.

Felt a "clicking" in my right shoulder today when benching, kind of like people get in a hip or ankle sometimes where joint movement is slightly restricted.  Didn't hurt so I went with the workout and it was ok.

This was Day 7 of 5x5 for me.  My back injury (which I got squatting 24 years ago)** was grumbling at me a bit, but I'm trying to strengthen that posterior chain which should help support the herniated disc.  Deadlifts really fuck it up, rows do slightly.  The squats just manifest in a "stiff hip" feeling that goes away once I get a heavy work set or two behind me.

My lifts are all sorts of weird.  I used to lift a lot when younger, but check this out - my squat was always stronger than my deadlift back then, but here's where I am at (I'll pause for your laughter):

Squat 90lb (I can do more but cautious with my back)
Bench 120lb
Row 70lb (seemed way easy)

Tuesday Deadlift was 120lb (seems somewhat easy)
Tuesday OH Press was 75lb

** Putting 760 on the bar and doing 3 inch squats from some idiotic program to "acclimate" the spine to extreme weights.  I twisted and leaned and pop went my back.  At the time my normal squat was only 460
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hope I'm not butting into your thread, OP.

Some notes on my 5x5 progress.

Felt a "clicking" in my right shoulder today when benching, kind of like people get in a hip or ankle sometimes where joint movement is slightly restricted.  Didn't hurt so I went with the workout and it was ok.

This was Day 7 of 5x5 for me.  My back injury (which I got squatting 24 years ago)** was grumbling at me a bit, but I'm trying to strengthen that posterior chain which should help support the herniated disc.  Deadlifts really fuck it up, rows do slightly.  The squats just manifest in a "stiff hip" feeling that goes away once I get a heavy work set or two behind me.

My lifts are all sorts of weird.  I used to lift a lot when younger, but check this out - my squat was always stronger than my deadlift back then, but here's where I am at (I'll pause for your laughter):

Squat 90lb (I can do more but cautious with my back)
Bench 120lb
Row 70lb (seemed way easy)

Tuesday Deadlift was 120lb (seems somewhat easy)
Tuesday OH Press was 75lb

** Putting 760 on the bar and doing 3 inch squats from some idiotic program to "acclimate" the spine to extreme weights.  I twisted and leaned and pop went my back.  At the time my normal squat was only 460
View Quote
The early numbers sure sound low but it gives you time to get some decent form going.  Every time i go, my squat form gets a tiny bit better, and it feels like the muscles around my spine are awakened and protecting it from injury.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The early numbers sure sound low but it gives you time to get some decent form going.  Every time i go, my squat form gets a tiny bit better, and it feels like the muscles around my spine are awakened and protecting it from injury.
View Quote
Yeah that's the idea.  I'm an older fucker now, with a significant back injury and a grumpy knee, and I'm in no hurry.  I know my form is good but it degrades a bit as I get tired.  I can go with 5x5 for 6 months, probably and get back up to where I want to be (which is a 1,000lb three lift total).  I know I won't be going to powerlifting meets again....until I do.  But as of now, I want to be strong enough not to be a fragile POS when I get older.  I also no longer have my Colorado rock climber's physique - not even fucking close, and it would be nice to get back there.  A bit hard to do in Michigan though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 1:50:41 AM EDT
[#40]
I missed like 3 wks in December, but am back at things.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 2:15:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Every time I've started a new workout program after taking a long break,  if I don't start out light and easy for the first two or three sessions I end up REALLY regretting it.  Especially I have to be careful about bicep curls.  I CAN curl a lot more on that first workout than I should even think about.  I've utterly burned my brachialis muscles enough times doing that that I am sure I won't be making that mistake again.

Ease into it.  Better than hurting yourself, guaranteed!
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 6:59:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/389059/Screenshot_20190104-214937_png-796545.JPG
View Quote
Good job man! Stick with it!
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/389059/Screenshot_20190104-214937_png-796545.JPG
View Quote
@Click2Boom great progress!
One thing though is that your deadlift should be higher than your squat.

Is that app having you deadlift every other session? And what are the weight increases?

If it's every other session and only 5lbs you should either drop the rows temporarily. Deadlift every session and add 10-15 lbs per until it's at least 50 lbs above  your squat.

Or if you want to keep rowing, hold your squat where it is until your deadlift is higher. I would still suggest adding at least 10 lbs per session.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't you squat ever workout on stronglifts?

Until the squat stalls the deadlift will probably progress slower.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Is that app having you deadlift every other session? And what are the weight increases?

If it's every other session and only 5lbs you should either drop the rows temporarily. Deadlift every session and add 10-15 lbs per until it's at least 50 lbs above  your squat.

Or if you want to keep rowing, hold your squat where it is until your deadlift is higher. I would still suggest adding at least 10 lbs per session.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The deadlift is super easy.  To the point that I could do like 100 of them, and it's so easy my form probably sucks.   This is probably a function of messing around with the #'s in the beginning.

I added more weight to certain things which i was more familiar with.  I never really did deads before so didn't raise it as much as the other things.  The amount I've been doing seems pretty easy compared to the other exercises, but I don't want to injure myself with bad form.   I've been using the deads as a grip strength thing too, holding in the up position till my hands get tired.

I don't really know how to do deads lol
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I started the starting strength workout today and started with the bar.  I was questioning too whether to increase the starting weight but stayed at 45lbs because I have a sore shoulder and thought I'd ease into it.

Previously I haven't followed a program but just did bench, dead, curls, cables, and whatever I felt that day. Was up to 170 sets for bench so the doing the bar now feels goofy but whatever.  I saw some nice gains initially but plateaued then was out of the gym for several months.  Hoping actually following a program will keep me motivated and get me in the shape I want.

Edit:  I'm in the same age/weight range as others here.  6', 172lbs.
View Quote
@rat1624 how's it workin for ya bro?
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#47]
After 1 or 2 workouts I bumped up the weight. I’m at 155 squat and clean now, 100 overhead press, 130 bench.

It feels great, weights are just now starting to feel like I’m doing something to build muscle. Next I need to work on my diet.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Don't you squat ever workout on stronglifts?

Until the squat stalls the deadlift will probably progress slower.
View Quote
Yes stronglifts you squat 3x per week. I believe you start out doing rows on the first week.

This is one of the reasons I believe starting strength to be superior because you start out deadlifting every session adding 10-15 lbs until your deadlift is well ahead of the squat, usually by at least 50 lbs or so.

Then you introduce chins, rows, power cleans or some type of light pull every other session.

This usually only takes 2-3 weeks and makes sure your deadlift is not lagging behind your squat.

For a novice the deadlift will drive the squat and also put lean mass on the upper body.

So OP could wait for the squat to stall, while the deadlift falls further behind, but then he'll have more catching up to do.

Or he could catch up now and get ahead within the next 5 or so sessions by dropping rows temporarily.

This all just my opinion, but I've seen the coaches on ss.com take people through this a few times and they always recommend getting a higher deadlift before squats get more taxing on recovery.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The deadlift is super easy.  To the point that I could do like 100 of them, and it's so easy my form probably sucks.   This is probably all a function of messing around with the #'s in the beginning. You adding more weight to certain things.   I've been using the deads as a grip strength thing too, holding in the up position till my hands get tired.

I don't really know how to do deads lol
View Quote
If it's easy then definitely bump up the weight increases.

If you haven't seen it the 5 step deadlift video is all you need.

1. Bar over mid foot, about 1" from your shins

2. Bend down grab the bar, don't bend your legs(very much) or drop your hips. Grip is just outside legs

3. Without moving the bar, drop your shins to the bar.

4. Without dropping your hips, raise your chest up. I like to 'point my chest at the wall'. This should pull the slack out of the bar and you'll probably hear a clicking sound. At light weights the plates may break off the ground, this is good.

5. Pull, dragging the bar up the legs. I like to 'push the floor away'. Keep your back angle constant until you clear the knees then lockout with your hips, don't over extend your back.

When you put the bar down, break at the hips first and then the knees after the bar is past them. This way you won't hit your knees with the bar on the way down. This will also return the bar to the correct starting position over the mid foot.

Here's the video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VGZrATR1O4E#
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Never did post videos.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top