User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hope thread stays alive.

62 years old. I have been using dumbbells at home, ok not regular basis. Started 5x5 today using squat rack for first time. I will try to add after first week.
View Quote
Good for you!

Secret to 5x5 is to start light and don't quit.

With the progressions, it will get heavy enough, soon enough - but you will have time to adapt.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:35:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Time off is a bitch, but I’m back to making gains. I missed 6 weeks doing nothing and before that I had two weeks where I was beat up und missing reps. Started back up in September and I just got back to where I was in mid July.  The big differences are that my squat is finally gaining ground and I haven’t been missing reps on anything.

March 12:

183 lbs.

Squats (3x5): 95
Deads (1x5): 155
Bench (3x5): 135
Press (3x5): 65

July 11:

198 lbs.

Squats (3x5): 165
Deads (1x5): 310
Bench (3x5): 240
Press (3x5): 140

After hiatus:

September 4:

205 lbs.

Squats (3x5): 135
Deads (1x5): 225
Bench (3x5): 185
Press (3x5): 105

All down from July by ~30%

October 15: (Almost exactly the same as July except for squats.)

213 lbs.

Squats (3x5): 220 (+55 over July and +85 since starting back up in September)
Deads (1x5): 310
Bench (3x5): 240
Press (3x5): 145

I’ve got to get my squats higher than my bench, but I like the direction this is heading.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How much weight were you using when you got hurt? That kinda shit scares me.
View Quote
A pair of 50's.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#4]
For me, there’s no better milestone in lifting than getting to the next full plate.

I just did 4 plates (225) 3x5 for tonight’s squats and I’m extremely pleased. 6 plates (315) seems a long way off but 225 did at one point, too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For me, there's no better milestone in lifting than getting to the next full plate.

I just did 4 plates (225) 3x5 for tonight's squats and I'm extremely pleased. 6 plates (315) seems a long way off but 225 did at one point, too.
View Quote
The general way of things is that 225 is two plates, 315 is three and so on.

Congrats on the milestone.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm almost 48. I started lifting three years ago.  The first two years I made great progress.  The last year has been a grind with only marginal improvement and some setbacks with minor injuries.

It's a long haul but I love doing it.

Starting one rep max weights three years ago:
Bench: 185
Squat: 200
Deadlift: 275

Current weights:
Bench: 325
Squat: 475
Deadlift: 565

Stick with it. Study videos about setup, technique and bracing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:09:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't visit the site a lot but just noticed this thread.  It's very timely for me.  I'm trying to start back to a workout regimen again, for the um-teenth time,  over the years.

I've got 59 semi-hard years on my chassis.   Approx 30 of those on night shifts.  Every joint aches/hurts, some more serious than others - .

My job doesn't require a lot of heavy physical work but can be nerve racking at times.

I still want to be an outdoorsman so my main goal is to reestablish lost outdoors hobbies.   Have found less ability to handle big game hunting in mountainous terrain.  I would like to get back to a level where I could carry another Elk or 2 out of the woods, for the next few seasons.

I just started flirting with the weights.  Haven't formalized a routine yet.  Been on the treadmill for 20 minute fast walks.

So thats a brief idea of whats happening.   Will try to check back from time to time to see how everyone is doing and hopefully tell you about my success and ongoing efforts.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:19:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't visit the site a lot but just noticed this thread.  It's very timely for me.  I'm trying to start back to a workout regimen again, for the um-teenth time,  over the years.

I've got 59 semi-hard years on my chassis.   Approx 30 of those on night shifts.  Every joint aches/hurts, some more serious than others - .

My job doesn't require a lot of heavy physical work but can be nerve racking at times.

I still want to be an outdoorsman so my main goal is to reestablish lost outdoors hobbies.   Have found less ability to handle big game hunting in mountainous terrain.  I would like to get back to a level where I could carry another Elk or 2 out of the woods, for the next few seasons.

I just started flirting with the weights.  Haven't formalized a routine yet.  Been on the treadmill for 20 minute fast walks.

So thats a brief idea of whats happening.   Will try to check back from time to time to see how everyone is doing and hopefully tell you about my success and ongoing efforts.
View Quote
Keep it simple. Squats, deadlift, press, and bench press.

Sticking to this has fixed the aches and pains in my knees back and shoulders. Endurance and cardio have both improved without having to directly work on either.

People will tell you you’re too old to lift heavy. They’ll also tell you to stick with running, walking, and machines instead of barbells. Ignore them.

Get this book:

Starting Strength

There may be good reasons for some people to get more complicated, but if you’re just trying to get generally stronger and in better shape, there’s not much reason to look beyond the basics.

Keep us posted on how you’re doing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Today was my first time with my Starting Strength coach.

I drove 90 miles.

I believe it was worth it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Hit 315#x5 on deadlift last week. Definitely starting to feel heavy. Squat is at 260x7 last week, still climbing. Bench is still lagging, 160 on my amrap set this week. Ohp broke 115 last week, PR for me.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Lousy workout yesterday.

I felt like I couldn’t squat at all at 240 even though I cruised through 235 on Saturday.

I ate enough, I slept enough, but nothing worked right. Seemed like everything hurt for no good reason. I felt beat up and know that probably half my reps were just a bit high.

I couldn’t keep the knees out and was afraid to hit the bottom. Just terrible. I was able to grind it out and finished all 3 sets x5 reps but felt like shit doing it.

Missed reps on presses at 155, too. So I had to add sets to get the volume.

I might have to do a light day tomorrow to get the feel again.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lousy workout yesterday.

I felt like I couldn’t squat at all at 240 even though I cruised through 235 on Saturday.

I ate enough, I slept enough, but nothing worked right. Seemed like everything hurt for no good reason. I felt beat up and know that probably half my reps were just a bit high.

I couldn’t keep the knees out and was afraid to hit the bottom. Just terrible. I was able to grind it out and finished all 3 sets x5 reps but felt like shit doing it.

View Quote
What are you doing to warm up?

I notice that as I have aged, it takes a more concerted warm up effort to get everything moving and comfortable before getting under the bar.

I spend a good 10-15 minutes on warm ups before each lifting session.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I notice that as I have aged, it takes a more concerted warm up effort to get everything moving and comfortable before getting under the bar.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lousy workout yesterday.

Air squats and empty bar squats. I’ll typically do 15-20 air squats before going into the basement. I do 15 empty bar squats with my hands wide (because I can’t get them close yet),10 empty bar squats with my hands a bit tighter and the bar lower, then I do a typical range of warmup sets of decreasing reps (starting at 5) while adding weight and getting my hands into a work set grip. Overall it probably takes me a half hour or so and I’m pretty loose and stretched.

That’s been working well for a long time. But yesterday, even after warmup, quads and hips were tight and sore, ribs hurt under the belt, shoulders were tight...it was a shit show.

But, I finished the sets, so at least there’s that.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Air squats and empty bar squats. I’ll typically do 15-20 air squats before going into the basement. I do 15 empty bar squats with my hands wide (because I can’t get them close yet),10 empty bar squats with my hands a bit tighter and the bar lower, then I do a typical range of warmup sets of decreasing reps (starting at 5) while adding weight and getting my hands into a work set grip. Overall it probably takes me a half hour or so and I’m pretty loose and stretched.

That’s been working well for a long time. But yesterday, even after warmup, quads and hips were tight and sore, ribs hurt under the belt, shoulders were tight...it was a shit show.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lousy workout yesterday.

Link Posted: 11/17/2018 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Got out of the squat doldrums by switching the 2nd squat workout of the week to a light day. Still adding weight on the other two days. So, still doing a linear progression. That’ll probably end soon.

Overall, good lifting day today:

Squat 255 (3x5)
Bench 265 (3x5)
Deads 325 (1x5)

How’s everybody else making out?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Got out of the squat doldrums by switching the 2nd squat workout of the week to a light day. Still adding weight weight on the other two days. So, still doing a linear progression. That’ll probably end soon.

Overall, good lifting day today:

Squat 255 (3x5)
Bench 265 (3x5)
Deads 325 (1x5)

How’s everybody else making out?
View Quote
I'm jelly of your bench.

I'm on rest this week due to pain in shoulder and I tweaked my back pulling sumo @ 240# the other night and it's aggravated my sciatica.

Squat is 270 1x3 (was a bad day should have been more reps)
Bench is 170 1x3
Dead is 325 1x5
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Fortunate to hit a PR today

Bench, 435 (with slingshot) for two singles
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Fortunate to hit a PR today

Bench, 435 for two singles
View Quote
Holy shit!  That’s great!

I think my arms are too long for +400 lb. bench, but that’s sure as shit something to strive for.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 6:43:50 AM EDT
[#20]
This week:

Squat:  5x5@235, 1x5@265
Bench:  5x5@205, 1x5@225
DL:  1x3@285

5x5 on Mondays, 1x5 on Fridays.  Personal experience is that limiting DL to 3 reps > 225 helps me avoid injury.

Been lifting-focused for a month or two now.  I cut it back to 2 days/week in the summer to spend more time running and paddling.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#21]
What are everybody’s goals?

Are you working toward a certain weight on the bar for each lift, i.e hitting a particular strength standard for its own sake?

Are you trying to get to a certain bodyweight or aesthetic goal and lifting is how you plan to get there?

Are you even working towards a specific goal or just lifting for general fitness?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Are you working toward a certain weight on the bar for each lift, i.e hitting a particular strength standard for its own sake?

Are you trying to get to a certain bodyweight or aesthetic goal and lifting is how you plan to get there?

Are you even working towards a specific goal or just lifting for general fitness?

Just curious.
View Quote
For me personally, current goals are for a 1 plate OHP, 2 plate bench, 3 plate squat, and 4 plate dead. Not sure what I'll do once I get there, hopefully in a few months. I really have no desire to lift crazy heavy weights, and squatting much over 315 just doesn't sound very appealing to me.

Past that, I'm aiming for aesthetics. I've been a skinny string bean my whole life, and I'm aiming for an eventual ~215# body weight at 10-12% body fat. It will take me several more bulk/cut cycles to get there. My occupation dictates, to a degree, that I really not get too much above that weight.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just curious.
View Quote
For me personally Its overall fitness and stress relief.
I do bodybuilding type volume work most frequently but I do the powerlift movements once per week for 3-5 reps and sometimes i'll workup to a single.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Just curious.
View Quote
I would like to get to a 4/3/2/1, but not sure what after, maybe 5/4/3/2. But thats not a strict goal. I am trying to lose weight (as of today I am down 40 lbs, starting from 300 to 260, really want to get down to 225 and see where I need to go from there, either more cut or start a bulking phase). General fitness is probably the best answer for me, but also looking into the future to see where I can go.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:27:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I would like to get to a 4/3/2/1, but not sure what after, maybe 5/4/3/2. But thats not a strict goal. I am trying to lose weight (as of today I am down 40 lbs, starting from 300 to 260, really want to get down to 225 and see where I need to go from there, either more cut or start a bulking phase). General fitness is probably the best answer for me, but also looking into the future to see where I can go.
View Quote
I might be too old for it, but my long term goal is 5/4/3/2.

Gotta work toward something.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Goal?

To be big and strong as fuck.

My lifetime goals:

600# deadlift
500# squat
350# bench

I'm close now to those numbers.  Once I hit those numbers I'll work on hypertrophy and mobility more.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What are everybody's goals?

Just curious.
View Quote
General fitness. Health. I want to lose weight too. Replace fat with muscle. I want to lose my gut. I want clothes to fit better. And I want to live as long as possible. I started with 5x5 until I got hurt. Shoulder and lower back. After a couple of months, I did PT and finally to a coach. I got hurt again, (lower back) doing squats. Now I'm back, doing 3x5. I'm stronger than I've been in a long time.

3x5/305 on the hex bar deads, 205/bench, 205/bent row, 125/OH press, 165/Lat pulls. 2x10/95 Tri extensions, 100/bb curl. 1x25/ 155 hex bar shrugs.

I have been banned by the Doc on squats. I know, I know, "king of lifts"  Ive done all I could do to include them including professional coaching. I just get hurt. The hex bar has been my savior.

Fellow old guys, keep it up!!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Getting older and trying to not get weaker.

My goal, keep incrementing my core lifts without getting any serious injury. Tortoise over the Hare pace focusing mainly on preventing injury.
Get better at squat, my poverty.  The new squat shoes are helping on this too.
Also had a new PR on bench earlier this week.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
General fitness. Health. I want to lose weight too. Replace fat with muscle. I want to lose my gut. I want clothes to fit better. And I want to live as long as possible. I started with 5x5 until I got hurt. Shoulder and lower back. After a couple of months, I did PT and finally to a coach. I got hurt again, (lower back) doing squats. Now I'm back, doing 3x5. I'm stronger than I've been in a long time.

3x5/305 on the hex bar deads, 205/bench, 205/bent row, 125/OH press, 165/Lat pulls. 2x10/95 Tri extensions, 100/bb curl. 1x25/ 155 hex bar shrugs.

I have been banned by the Doc on squats. I know, I know, "king of lifts"  Ive done all I could do to include them including professional coaching. I just get hurt. The hex bar has been my savior.

Fellow old guys, keep it up!!!
View Quote
Is there a Starting Strength Coach in your area or have you read the books? My lower back always used to get hurt from lifting.  Switching to low-bar squats was the fix.

Now, squats and deadlifts are what I use to make my back feel better when I mess it up elsewhere. Did wonders for my knees, too.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I totally understand.

I am 47 and as I look around the gym..I go "I could legitimately be everyone's dad." So....I feel I have something to prove. For whatever reason.

I have never been a bencher or a squater even in my prime. 20 years ago my favorite squat was 5x15 of 275.

So, now...I do things that fit me.

Primarily dumbells for chest. Flat and incline.

Shoulders. Smith in front/behind, arnold dumbell, and barbell military press.

Back. Individual grip pulldown/rows and dumbell rows. I wish the gym had a proper tbar row with a chest pad but it's just tbar row. Tweaks my lower back on heavier weights.

Legs. Plate leg press, machine quad/lying hamstring, zercher squats, and as of today.....Safety barbell squats on a seat/platform.

Zercher squats are absolutely one of the most brutal moves I have done. I love them. They are hard and painful and I get weird looks from the guys in the Monsta gear when doing them. My bicep tendons are now used to them. I am now repping 225. My goal is 315 for reps.

I discovered the Safety barbell squats from a Brian Shaw video. The gym got one of these bars a while ago. I tried it today with the "platform" to sit on. I love it. Whole new dynamic to my squats. Serious benefit to your posterior chain so I feel it will help my Zerchers.

Stiff leg dead lifts. I have always loved these. I never learned the regular or Romanian deadlifts like everyone does, but I have always loved these. I have figured out how to make them work in a squat rack but have to back up onto a base.

Biceps. Rotating dumbell curls, machine curls with a vertical grip, cable curls with various grips, and barbell curls. I need to find my old arm blaster or get one.

Triceps. Overhead single dumbell raise, various tricep cable pulldowns, barbell skull crushers, lying dual dumbell raise and weighted dips.

Calves. Elevated standing raise in the smith machine on one of the "fat rubber 45's". I do toes in, heels in, and feet straight.

Keep it up old guys..I understand your concerns.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Is there a Starting Strength Coach in your area or have you read the books? My lower back always used to get hurt from lifting.  Switching to low-bar squats was the fix.

Now, squats and deadlifts are what I use to make my back feel better when I mess it up elsewhere. Did wonders for my knees, too.
View Quote
No SS coach. But I did read the book and had lessons from a professional exercise physiologist. (Keiland Williams, look him up). The hex bar has made my back and legs much stronger, without me injuring myself.  I have spodilolistethis (sp) and a couple of herniated disks. Once I get stronger, I may re-introduce the squat into my routine.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No SS coach. But I did read the book and had lessons from a professional exercise physiologist. (Keiland Williams, look him up). The hex bar has made my back and legs much stronger, without me injuring myself.  I have spodilolistethis (sp) and a couple of herniated disks. Once I get stronger, I may re-introduce the squat into my routine.
View Quote
Some things require more nuance than the old “just squat and deadlift, dude.” Spondylolisthesis is probably one of them. My medical degree from the University of Interwebs didn’t cover that, so I’ll just say good for you for working through it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Some things require more nuance than the old "just squat and deadlift, dude." Spondylolisthesis is probably one of them. My medical degree from the University of Interwebs didn't cover that, so I'll just say good for you for working through it.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Hit a milestone today. 3/45's. I hope to add another 45 to my bench soon.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Finally got my squats to catch up to my bench.

As of today they’re both at 265 3x5.

Still weak by general squat standards but progress is progress, I guess.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20638/IMG_0605_JPG-762906.JPG

Hit a milestone today. 3/45's. I hope to add another 45 to my bench soon.
View Quote
I was messing with one of those today as well, deadlift to a carry. I didnt have that much weight, just 245 on it (have never used a trap, and never tried the carry).

Good stuff!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Feeling beat up as hell this week. Still slowly squeezing out gains on late linear progression but it’s kicking the ever loving shit outta me.

Got PRs on squats, DL, and bench this week.  PRd OHP earlier this week but today I missed at 167.5 lbs. so had to do 5x3 instead of 3x5.

I’m gonna have to switch up programming to either a heavy/light/medium or 4-day split. After 9 months, I don’t think I can go balls to the wall every lifting day anymore.

I need more recovery.

How’s everyone else making out?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Feeling beat up as hell this week. Still slowly squeezing out gains on late linear progression but it’s kicking the ever loving shit outta me.

Got PRs on squats, DL, and bench this week.  PRd OHP earlier this week but today I missed at 167.5 lbs. so had to do 5x3 instead of 3x5.

I’m gonna have to switch up programming to either a heavy/light/medium or 4-day split. After 9 months, I don’t think I can go balls to the wall every lifting day anymore.

I need more recovery.

View Quote
Check out one of the nSun's programs from reddit. Reddit.com/r/nsuns

I'm currently running the 5 day, and while it's a shit load of volume, I'm making great gains.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:43:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I was messing with one of those today as well, deadlift to a carry. I didnt have that much weight, just 245 on it (have never used a trap, and never tried the carry).

Good stuff!!
View Quote
Saturday I did some carries with it again, and with it being a free day (no programming, just messing around and pushing accessory lifts) I pulled 315 on the trap bar.  Where I'm at with 5/3/1 I'm not there yet on my barbell DL, but I may be able to pull it. Just going to trust the process!
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Who here has made the switch from a linear progression to a heavy/light/medium or volume/intensity type of program with good results?

Obviously it works because that’s pretty standard intermediate stuff, but I’m just wondering about personal experiences because it seems counterintuitive. I’ve always (when I was younger) pushed my max lifts by lifting more at the top range and adding reps when I could. But it doesn’t appear that anybody works with that type of rep progression.

H/L/M or volume/intensity says if you lift a shitload of relatively light weight one day, you can add weight to the bar for sets across on your heavy day, even if you haven’t done that weight before. It does seem like it lets you take your foot off the throttle a little bit though, which would be nice. Adding reps to the top end every day is a relentless grind.

I hope it works but, like I said, it seems counterintuitive.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I need more recovery.

View Quote
I'm back to it after taking 5 months off.  I achieved lifetime PRs last winter, but was the heaviest I had ever been.  I weigh less this winter but still going to give a serious go at my own personal bests:  #335 bench, #395 Squat, #405 DL, #255 OHP.  Around Valentine's Day I will start to cut with July 1 being the endpoint and hoping to hit single digit bf% this year.  Came up short last summer by probably 5-6%.  I figured out I grossly underestimated my TDEE and dropped way too low on my calories.  I think I have a better handle on it this year.

41, 5'9" 215
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#41]
On this cycle I should beat my Bench PR (which isn't very high) and on the way to 2 plates.

Every time at the gym I do feel stronger, and I'm adding more time to my runs. Not losing any weight, which does kinda suck, but I am getting skinnier and Bigger in other areas, like my shoulders and chest is getting flatter but not smaller.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#42]
My LP is officially done. After 9 months of going at it with everything I’ve got, I have to switch it up. But it was a pretty good run:

March 12 - Dec. 18

BW: 183 - 230

Squat: 95 - 275
DL: 155 - 345
Bench: 135 - 275
Press: 65 - 167.5
(All for 5s)

Chins: 4-1-1 to 9-8-7
Dips: 6-4-2 to 12x3

I was smoked at the end. I was eating like a machine to keep making progress but, in the last month, progress slowed and the gut growed. First session back after getting all my PRs I couldn’t do my lifts even with significantly reduced weight. I was toast.

Took a couple weeks to just do light recovery work and now it’s time to switch it up.

Dropped weights by about 10% across the board and I started doing a heavy-light-medium program with descending sets (reverse pyramid) to go for slower weakly increases in intensity while trying to lose all the fat I put on when running out LP.

Got some DOMS from the extra volume but, otherwise, feel pretty good.

Hopefully I can keep the weight on the bar while leaning out a bit. Then, I’ll take another high-intensity run in a couple months.

Still an old guy. Maybe not a noob. Getting less weak.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#43]
57 and sedentary with rotator cuff issues, 2 years post ACDF, 4 years post liver transplant. Arthritis in both hips.

220 pounds 5'10"

Very weak and stiff overall.

Last spring I did 2 months of whole body circuit training with light weights and bodyweight...then I was T-boned and the bone spur in my hip got mad.

It took 6 months of rest, PT, and 3 injections to get it to where I could walk without groaning.

So now I'm back in.

I've got a set of dumbbells at home and I'm easing back into it.

Yay being old!
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Just curious.
View Quote
50 y.o.  I hope to hit these in 2019:

Press 260
Bench 375
Squat 450
Deadlift 500

... while staying at 200 lb. bodyweight. Hitting those would be about 7-8% above my all-time PRs.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:56:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My LP is officially done. After 9 months of going at it with everything I’ve got, I have to switch it up. But it was a pretty good run:

March 12 - Dec. 18

(All for 5s)

I was smoked at the end. I was eating like a machine to keep making progress but, in the last month, progress slowed and the gut growed. First session back after getting all my PRs I couldn’t do my lifts even with significantly reduced weight. I was toast.

Took a couple weeks to just do light recovery work and now it’s time to switch it up.

Dropped weights by about 10% across the board and I started doing a heavy-light-medium program with descending sets (reverse pyramid) to go for slower weakly increases in intensity while trying to lose all the fat I put on when running out LP.

Hopefully I can keep the weight on the bar while leaning out a bit. Then, I’ll take another high-intensity run in a couple months.

View Quote
That bench press is pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

March 12 - Dec. 18

(All for 5s)

Thanks. It’s my only good lift.

The fucked up thing is, I’m not even remotely built for bench. I’ve got really long arms, I can’t get a good back arch, and my leg drive sucks. I should suck at it.

Your 315 video has me motivated.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:28:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The fucked up thing is, I’m not even remotely built for bench. I’ve got really long arms, I can’t get a good back arch, and my leg drive sucks. I should suck at it.

View Quote
I'm so weak now. Stupid diet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m trying to lean out, too. Dropped the weight on the bar and working on reverse pyramid AMRAP sets instead of sets across. Got 250x9 last bench session.

I’m not gonna be able to take a run at 315 until I’m eating again. I’d like to have a shot at it by late fall.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I’m trying to lean out, too. Dropped the weight on the bar and working on reverse pyramid AMRAP sets instead of sets across. Got 250x9 last bench session.

I’m not gonna be able to take a run at 315 until I’m eating again. I’d like to have a shot at it by late fall.
View Quote
250x 9. You should be able to do 315.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Where do you find that calculator?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top