Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2017 9:38:57 PM EDT
I used to just run 5 days a week, do half assed sit ups and push-ups occasionally to prepare for pt tests. It got me two bum knees and I went to my doctor to talk about a permanent profile and surgery options to fix the pain. He told me to get a gym membership and after 6 months come back and we will reevaluate.

Now I only work out 3 days a week, 30 minutes treadmill and 1 hour weights each day. My run time has dropped 2 minutes and my push-ups have increased by 20. I hate core work so I'm still weak there. But best of all, my knee pain is almost completely gone. I have no limp and my knees haven't buckled in months.

I find myself looking forward to the gym and new ways to get stronger. I just need to stop eating so shitty so I can lose the weight so I stop being taped.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:53:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I actually stopped lifting to focus on my running because I thought that would make me better. Instead I just got injured. I also get a lot of back pain when I don't do strength training.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:29:43 AM EDT
[#2]
We have actually evolved to run a lot. It's just that most people do it wrong right from the start. I know what you are talking about though, too many years of sports banged me up, mostly from poor form when running fatigued.

If you were forced to run without shoes all the time, you would be up on the balls of your foot with long strides and a neutral or forward position. Most people have a backwards lean and plant with the heel when they land, it's like a jackhammer for the knees. The shock absorbers are the bones in the foot and the calves.

I haven't run in years though, I hate it now. Even though I should probably be sprinting regularly.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I also get a lot of back pain when I don't do strength training.
View Quote
My back used to always hurt during down time, mostly from too much sitting around. Once I started deadlifting and doing pullups correctly it basically eliminated it.

No one every believes me though.

"My back has been killiing me lately"

"You should deadlift twice a week, your welcome to come over and work out with me and I can help you with the form."

"That will just make it worse, that's bad for your back"

Fine then, be in pain.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We have actually evolved to run a lot. It's just that most people do it wrong right from the start. I know what you are talking about though, too many years of sports banged me up, mostly from poor form when running fatigued.

If you were forced to run without shoes all the time, you would be up on the balls of your foot with long strides and a neutral or forward position. Most people have a backwards lean and plant with the heel when they land, it's like a jackhammer for the knees. The shock absorbers are the bones in the foot and the calves.

I haven't run in years though, I hate it now. Even though I should probably be sprinting regularly.
View Quote
I had this problem.  I'm not running much these days, but I don't get pain when I do anymore.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My back used to always hurt during down time, mostly from too much sitting around. Once I started deadlifting and doing pullups correctly it basically eliminated it.

No one every believes me though.

"My back has been killiing me lately"

"You should deadlift twice a week, your welcome to come over and work out with me and I can help you with the form."

"That will just make it worse, that's bad for your back"

Fine then, be in pain.
View Quote
lifting helps but i am on my ass a lot. I have to also include a couple short walks a day or some yoga for my back to feel good. I don't have the most optimal setup for posture in my work chair or couch but the deadlifts and rows and even squats help me sit up straighter for a lot larger percentage of the day.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I need to learn how to lift. So far I've been using the machines at Planet Fitness to get in to the routine and build a base.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 3:12:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I used to just run 5 days a week, do half assed sit ups and push-ups occasionally to prepare for pt tests. It got me two bum knees and I went to my doctor to talk about a permanent profile and surgery options to fix the pain. He told me to get a gym membership and after 6 months come back and we will reevaluate.

Now I only work out 3 days a week, 30 minutes treadmill and 1 hour weights each day. My run time has dropped 2 minutes and my push-ups have increased by 20. I hate core work so I'm still weak there. But best of all, my knee pain is almost completely gone. I have no limp and my knees haven't buckled in months.

I find myself looking forward to the gym and new ways to get stronger. I just need to stop eating so shitty so I can lose the weight so I stop being taped.
View Quote

Lifting weights has remarkable health benefits both physically and mentally.  I make it a point to get into the gym M-F if I can and do some thing with weights when I can.  Sometimes Im not able to do everyday like that but I try.    Im switching over to a starting strength routine right now (had been doing some overly involved weight routine i picked out of bodybuilding.com), and while SS is a 3 day a week program, the "off days" I'll still go in and do weight stuff even if it's a kettle bell workout.  

Not lifting results in more aches and pains, and also results in less mobility with my shoulder.  

Running...always hated it, still hate it.  I did go through a period a year or so ago where I would run 3-4 days a week for roughly 3 miles or so, but I stopped for awhile.  I've been trying to get out one day a week, but still hate it.  I recognize the health benefits of it, but it's honestly one of the least enjoyable forms of exercise for me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top