Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2017 12:41:55 AM EDT
Weighed 264 in June.  Cut out fast food and most of the unhealthy crap.  Weigh 232 today.  6ft tall.  Hit a plateau.  Stuck at 232-236 past 5-6 weeks. What workout should I start?  Pure cardio running/jogging?  Newly single trying to get back to 200ish. Currently 30 yrs old.  Weighed 180-190 from 15 to 20 yrs old.  200-230 from 20-24.  230-260 24-27.  260 from 27-30.  Now 232. Got to 232 without any workouts. Best to lift and cardio?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 1:34:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Stop drinking pop... high protein, lower the simple carbs... and change up your work out routine. Eat good stuff often, and keep the metabolism burning. Dont cheat.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:21:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Keto.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:15:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy a food scale, weigh and track your meals.

Make about 90% of your food at home using decent ingredients. Veggies, Meat, Whole Grains, Minimally processed fats.

Track everything you put in your mouth for month and keep your daily calorie intake at 2000 (or less if you can tolerate it).
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#4]
EAT LESS
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Drink a gallon of water a day. I just started last week and have lost 5 lbs
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#6]
If you don't have a lot of spare time:
-Go outside first thing in the morning (just pee and get dressed, that's all)
-Walk for like an hour (later jog once your legs are strong)
-Come back and eat breakfast

If you DO have a lot of spare time:
-Go outside first thing in the morning, eat breakfast outside.
-Piddle around outside while food digests
-Go for a walk
-Stretch, do some pullups/push-ups and ~100m sprints
-Walk more until lunch time

DONT SKIMP ON FOOD. EAT NATURAL. Whole grains, lean meats, fruits, vegitables, nuts, plant-oils.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Jiu Jitsu
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jiu Jitsu
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 7:46:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Keto and start intermittent fasting.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Kind've mirroring what others have said, there's a saying that I like to tell people when they ask me how I lost weight: "Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym". (Quote not originally created by me)

Last year, I was determined to get in better shape, which meant dropping bodyfat. I calculated how many calories someone like me should eat in a day, which can be done through a simple google search, and ate 100-300 calories below what would be considered my daily maintenance calorie amount. The key is to maintain a caloric deficit so that your body burns body fat. You don't want to lose muscle mass, though, so make sure to increase your overall protein intake, while severely cutting the amount of sugary, unhealthy foods (which tend to have the highest amount of calories).

In the beginning especially, you'll probably get very hungry. You need to resist the urge to eat over your daily maintenance amount, so hunger suppressants like coffee or even protein powder help.

Doing this, coupled with a regular workout schedule, I dropped from 186 lbs to 165 lbs in about 3.5 months, while simultaneously gaining lean muscle mass. I highly recommend watching Athlean-X's videos on Youtube for more detailed information on losing weight and working out. His videos definitely helped out a lot.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Kind've mirroring what others have said, there's a saying that I like to tell people when they ask me how I lost weight: "Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym". (Quote not originally created by me)

Last year, I was determined to get in better shape, which meant dropping bodyfat. I calculated how many calories someone like me should eat in a day, which can be done through a simple google search, and ate 100-300 calories below what would be considered my daily maintenance calorie amount. The key is to maintain a caloric deficit so that your body burns body fat. You don't want to lose muscle mass, though, so make sure to increase your overall protein intake, while severely cutting the amount of sugary, unhealthy foods (which tend to have the highest amount of calories).

In the beginning especially, you'll probably get very hungry. You need to resist the urge to eat over your daily maintenance amount, so hunger suppressants like coffee or even protein powder help.

Doing this, coupled with a regular workout schedule, I dropped from 186 lbs to 165 lbs in about 3.5 months, while simultaneously gaining lean muscle mass. I highly recommend watching Athlean-X's videos on Youtube for more detailed information on losing weight and working out. His videos definitely helped out a lot.

Hope this helps!
View Quote
I had the exact oposote experience.

I first saw my abs when my rich ex gf was taking me out to outback steak house every night....

.... Because that same time I had gotten into going to the park all day from the morning and jogging and strength training lol
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Weighed 264 in June.  Cut out fast food and most of the unhealthy crap.  Weigh 232 today.  6ft tall.  Hit a plateau.  Stuck at 232-236 past 5-6 weeks. What workout should I start?  Pure cardio running/jogging?  Newly single trying to get back to 200ish. Currently 30 yrs old.  Weighed 180-190 from 15 to 20 yrs old.  200-230 from 20-24.  230-260 24-27.  260 from 27-30.  Now 232. Got to 232 without any workouts. Best to lift and cardio?
View Quote

Lift heavy things don't eat carbs.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Heavily reduce your sugar and refined carb intake.  If you are active at work or at exercise, carbs are fine.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all of the suggestions thus far.  I am feeling much better at 230ish than I did at 260ish.  I would love to push past the 5-6 week plateau I've hit and continue to move towards 200.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#16]
You're in exactly the same position I was in. I started trying to lose weight at 264 and got stuck at 232 when I was 30. I did a 6 week keto cycle and transitioned to Paleo while walking around 2 miles every day and lifting some. That cut me down to 175.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#17]
CrossFit if you can afford it and one is close to you.  Go to a free session and try it. You will then know if it is right for you.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 1:03:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Jiu Jitsu
View Quote
This. You'll Meet great people and Jiu-Jitsu will get you in tremendous cardiovascular shape and you'll drop the weight quick. Once you're hooked you'll do it for life.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Just wanted to update.  224 yesterday.  Cut out all alcohol and eating around 1100-1200 calories a day. Only meals out in the past few weeks were 2 trips to subway under 400 cal each and a salad from a local place.  Just now getting back into working out.  Started taking a green tea pill and feel much more energy.  I'd love to keep crusing to 200lbs, perhaps 190ish.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:43:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
This...and protein.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:48:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:[ /b]
This...and protein.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:[ /b]
[b]Quoted:

This...and protein.
High protein low carb diet. Lift weights and finish with cardio. Avoid sugars
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#23]
track your food: my fitness pal
Lift heavy things: Stronglifts 5x5, Vandersoft 5/3/1
Stay active.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#24]
No fats, salts & sugars.  Drink lots of water.  And keep moving as much as possible.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
it really is this simple
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 8:28:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
it really is this simple
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just wanted to update.  224 yesterday.  Cut out all alcohol and eating around 1100-1200 calories a day. Only meals out in the past few weeks were 2 trips to subway under 400 cal each and a salad from a local place.  Just now getting back into working out.  Started taking a green tea pill and feel much more energy.  I'd love to keep crusing to 200lbs, perhaps 190ish.
View Quote
Will you be able to maintain 1100-1200? Are you miserable doing that?

Rather than running a huge calorie deficit, which you won’t be able to hold and will just put the weight back on later, find the happy median where you are losing weight/leaning out but aren’t miserable. Usually a 500 calorie deficit is sufficient and maintainable.

Find a workout program you enjoy and will stick with. At the end of the day you are going to have to do the research and reading yourself to really understand your body and nutrition. It takes times playing with diet to get it right for your body. In general, higher protein and moderate carb and low fat is good. Though there are proven diets high in fat and low in carb. Fats arent the devil like once taught, though they have to be the right ones and with the right diet.  Not everyone reacts to food similarly. Do the research. Eat whole foods and avoid sugar refined or otherwise. Doesn’t matter if you drink 30g sugar from OJ or eat 30g sugar in a cupcake.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Stop drinking pop... high protein, lower the simple carbs... and change up your work out routine. Eat good stuff often, and keep the metabolism burning. Dont cheat.
View Quote
Everything except the bolded part. This is nonsense that seems to keep getting passed on as fact. Your body does not "ramp up" in any significant way that would translate into you burning MORE calories than you take in unless you are eating celery constantly.

In fact, the benefits of fasting are becoming more and more understood. NOT eating for extended periods seems to have real effects on fat metabolism and over all health.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Make about 90% of your food at home using decent ingredients. Veggies, Meat, Whole Grains, Minimally processed fats.

Track everything you put in your mouth for month and keep your daily calorie intake at 2000 (or less if you can tolerate it).
View Quote
This is the single best thing you can do. Download MyFitnessPal or Myplate. They will give you calories and Marcos to hit. If you do that you will lose weigh.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Keto and start intermittent fasting.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would strongly recommend against intermittent fasting for the reason that most do it.

It promotes a binge purge eating habit and I've known a couple people that had eating disorders from it.

The whole issue is having a healthy relationship with food. I see zero reason to fast if you have a healthy relationship with food.

Fix the cause,  not the symptom.

I stopped intermittent fasting bc i couldn't build muscle in any useful way and didn't have enough energy all day.

If you have a good relationship with food and your body likes fasting,  have at it.

But don't do it because you can't stop levering entire cakes and chickens into your mouth.

I did it for 4 months,  lost 89 pounds.  My body hated. I had to fix my issues with food first.

Keto and cardio will get you skinny fat like all the gerbils you see pounding cardio every night.

A good barbell based strength program and a healthy diet starting in the 40 40 20 area will change your fucking life.

Ive done the gerbil thing and keto. I didn't know any better back then either.

People want a system,  a group, a leader, a magic bullet,  an answer.  The answer is nothing you buy or a facebook group you join or meals you order.  Its a reasonable balanced diet with healthy fats and carbs in moderation conbined with barbells and dumbbells.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had an x that would actually weigh shrimp tails smh
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 4:27:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Keto and cardio will get you skinny fat like all the gerbils you see pounding cardio every night.

View Quote
i disagree. it really depends on your body type. im an endo-meso and feel the best and have the most energy on a low carb, higher fat diet but i have never had trouble gaining mass or cutting. i just have to decide what i want to do and adjust intake and cardio appropriately
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 4:33:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Forget exercise.

Try intermittent fasting.  Only eat between noon and 7pm.  Nothing caloric during fasting period.   Resets your insulin levels.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
i disagree. it really depends on your body type. im an endo-meso and feel the best and have the most energy on a low carb, higher fat diet but i have never had trouble gaining mass or cutting. i just have to decide what i want to do and adjust intake and cardio appropriately
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats fine. Listening to your body is the number one thing. But for the purposes of general advice, you'll find almost no one on the planet that can gain good mass doing cardio and eating keto. I'd consider those elite genetics. Like phil heath and ronnie Coleman level.

Muscle is protein. That can't be forgotten for most people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top