Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2017 5:57:10 AM EDT
After getting back to hitting the gym pretty heavily the past 2-3 months, I am finally feeling like I am back on track to meeting some fitness goals I had fallen back on (getting to ~15% body fat, along with some weight goals and getting down to a 32" waist).  I had gotten lazy and started eating poorly again so this renewed progress pleases me.  

Now for the questions..

1)  Is there anything wrong with mixing up different muscle group workouts on different days ?  Sometimes, due to either time constraints or the fact that someone else is using a piece of equipment I can't finish a muscle workout, so if there are a set of three exercises Im doing for Triceps, are there any negative repercussions to doing two of these on a monday and finishing the third up on a Wednesday?  Or even spreading leg workouts out over the week so that each time I am in the gym I incorporate some kind of leg exercise in with each session.  Asking as I typically see people talking about working on specific muscle groups at each visit.

2) If/when I reach my final goals, and making progress is no longer what I am trying to accomplish, will I still need to workout as hard to maintain where I am at?  Or can I back off ? (assuming I don't get too lazy and too stupid with regards to eating habits).

3) gloves...I see a few people wearing these in the gym...useful or no?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
After getting back to hitting the gym pretty heavily the past 2-3 months, I am finally feeling like I am back on track to meeting some fitness goals I had fallen back on (getting to ~15% body fat, along with some weight goals and getting down to a 32" waist).  I had gotten lazy and started eating poorly again so this renewed progress pleases me.  

Now for the questions..

1)  Is there anything wrong with mixing up different muscle group workouts on different days ?  Sometimes, due to either time constraints or the fact that someone else is using a piece of equipment I can't finish a muscle workout, so if there are a set of three exercises Im doing for Triceps, are there any negative repercussions to doing two of these on a monday and finishing the third up on a Wednesday?  Or even spreading leg workouts out over the week so that each time I am in the gym I incorporate some kind of leg exercise in with each session.  Asking as I typically see people talking about working on specific muscle groups at each visit.

2) If/when I reach my final goals, and making progress is no longer what I am trying to accomplish, will I still need to workout as hard to maintain where I am at?  Or can I back off ? (assuming I don't get too lazy and too stupid with regards to eating habits).

3) gloves...I see a few people wearing these in the gym...useful or no?  
View Quote

1.  No, as long as you are getting enough recovery time.  I am not a fan of doing a lot of accessory work (like dedicated triceps exercises), but do what works best for you.  Compound lifts help me get the best result for my effort.  

2.  Yes; it is a lifestyle change, not an event.  Keep hitting it hard.  

3.  Some do.  I do not.  While my wife does not like lifting calluses on my hands, I find them useful while working and lifting stuff outside the gym.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#2]
1. Go find an actual program strong lifts 5x5 or starting strength or 531. Do that program.

2. Yes keep up on working out.

I don't like gloves. That is likely to mean they are not gripping the bar right.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1. Go find an actual program strong lifts 5x5 or starting strength or 531. Do that program.

I don't like gloves. That is likely to mean they are not gripping the bar right.
View Quote
I bought the starting strength book..no way Im reading all that lol...I'll look into those others.  Generally what I've been doing is looking up workouts on the internet, finding one, and doing that for 6 months or so and than switching..current one is this:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/diesel-power.html

and I've been splitting those exercise up over a 4-5 day period...essentially in the gym every morning M-F.  I think I'm getting enough recovery, but regardless I pretty much need to be in there every morning to help deal with stress...
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I bought the starting strength book..no way Im reading all that lol...I'll look into those others.  Generally what I've been doing is looking up workouts on the internet, finding one, and doing that for 6 months or so and than switching..current one is this:

and I've been splitting those exercise up over a 4-5 day period...essentially in the gym every morning M-F.  I think I'm getting enough recovery, but regardless I pretty much need to be in there every morning to help deal with stress...
View Quote
You don't need to read the ss book to do the program.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#5]
With regard to your first question, there's a lot to be said for increasing intensity and frequency and decreasing per-session volume. Basically, lift heavy, hit the group 2-3 times a week, but don't do like 20 sets. Mike Israetel has some good videos about how the "bro split" (i.e. hitting a body part once a week with crazy volume) leaves a lot of gains on the table due to the limited window of growth and recovery.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:40:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
With regard to your first question, there's a lot to be said for increasing intensity and frequency and decreasing per-session volume. Basically, lift heavy, hit the group 2-3 times a week, but don't do like 20 sets. Mike Israetel has some good videos about how the "bro split" (i.e. hitting a body part once a week with crazy volume) leaves a lot of gains on the table due to the limited window of growth and recovery.
View Quote
Heading into winter this is basically my plan. Decent frequency, adequate recovery, just the basics.

Mon/Thurs - Squat, Deadlift, BB Hack Squat, GHR. Alternating heavy and light days for squat and deadlift.

Tues/Fri - Bench, BB Row, Chinup, OHP. Alternating heavy and light for both Bench/Row and Chinup/OHP

I need to eat and get stronger after a hard summer, then I can mess around with some PPL or something heading into spring.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

48 sets on day one. I would get sick of that pretty fast.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Just from personal experience since you said you are wanting to lose weight while lifting, do not do higher volume.  Lift as heavy as possible for 3 sets.

I did much better strength-wise when I did this vs. high volume.  Something like a 3x5 scheme instead of 5x5.

Just remember, this is personal experience, ymmv.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 1:55:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I find gloves useful to:

- prevent calluses
- provide cushioning for my hands when doing dips
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 3:44:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol...yeah..i've been splitting it up over 4-5 days.  I am seeing results though so thats a good thing..

I'll check out 3x5 or 5x5.

so this 5x5 program ?  https://stronglifts.com/5x5/
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:52:07 AM EDT
[#11]
1. Find a workout program you enjoy and can be consistent with that suits your schedule.
2. Once you achieve your goals you can maintain a lot easier. It only takes around 8 sets per week to maintain muscle size. (Per Dr Mike Israetel).
3. I like gloves because I don't like callouses. I don't like my hands being super rough and them peeling. I tend to grab weights in a way that pinches the skin causing said callouses to form.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top