Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2003 1:39:00 PM EDT
OK I have only been in about a half-dozen fights in my life, and haven't been in any for several years.

I know some of you guys get into rumbles regularly (Devl, others).

My question is, in a real fight, when both people have an adrenaline dump, do nerve techniques have any effect, or does the rush of adrenaline mask out any pain that would come from applying a technique to a pressure point or nerve complex?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#1]

I'm no expert on this topic, but I would think that to effectively implement "nerve techniques" you would have to have a considerable amount of training.

That said, sensitivity to pain might be slightly diminished by adrenaline, but unless your opponent is drugged up on something the techniques should work on him.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 2:15:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I would think that pressure point techniques interefer with neuro-transmissions, and are independent of adrenaline. Tsar guns are an example of interfering/over-loading the neurons.

To wit: It won't matter how pissed/psyched your opponent is. If the impulses can't get to where they are needed....

Kyusho in martial arts is the study of pressure points. You may want to do a "search" to earn more.

My $0.02 worth.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:06:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Medical opinion here...

From what we know of pain, there are few things that 'stop' impulses.  Short of exogenous chemicals (drugs) your body has a limited arsenal of things it can do.

Adrenaline (or, as well call it, Epinepherine... also coupled with dopamine and norepinepherine) has no effect on pain sensation.  What happens is that the 'adrenaline' causes some endorphins to release.  This causes the same effect of taking an analgesic... less pain.  However, its only effective for a short period of time AND it can be overrided.

Your 'tazer' (sp? is it taser? i dunno..)... well, what that does is cause your nervous system to suddenly depolarize and fire wildly, causing muscle weakness, paralysis, and... pain!  It overrides the endorphin effect.  As will pressure points.

Your endorphins are also what are responsible for the 'runner's high' some people experience.  

Now, after this brief surge of endorphins wears off, your body has been poppin out Enkephalins.  Same type of deal, but these do not remove pain, they change its perception.  This is the 'dull throbbing, pain you sometimes experience.

The function of these chemical mediators in the body is 'fight-or-flight' for endorphins.  They will get you 'through the worst' or at least away from that animal about to kill you.  The Enkephalins will allow you to seek help post-incident without being overcome by pain, but it allows you to KNOW you have pain still.  Interesting survival adaption.

However... as said... electricity works well at overcoming it.  Pepper-spray works well too, since it attacks an especially sensitive pain receptor (caspin receptors).  Pressure points are something of a mystery, but i would imagine they somehow bypass the mechanism of pain suppressed by endorphins.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been in Law Enforcment for over 13 years and have been in several altercation in which I had to use force.  Very rarely does anyone try to stand and fight you toe to toe.  They are usually trying to get at someone else or get away from you. There is a difference in people that are pumped up and those that are not. The people who just decide that now is not a good time for them to go to jail and resist can usually be brought under control rather quickly with either an impact restraint (baton) or chemical spray.  These are very effective on people who are not already pissed off.  Its the people who are fighting or pissed off when you get there that give you the problems.  I have struck people several times with the PR-24, or sprayed them with OC with little or no effect.  Most of these people will complain of pain in the area you struck them or compalin about the burning after they have been transported and have had time to calm down. Although OC will take the majority of peoples vison they will continue to fight.  Most of the time you end up on the ground wrestling with the person. When this happens you have to restain them until they wear out or you get them cuffed.  There are no magical holds or moves that are sure to bring someone down every time, or if there are I haven't seen them. The only exception to this is the choke hold which works very quickly, but is not recommended.  The key is that you have to practice.  At the academy you practice on other trainees who comply because they don't like pain and don't like being thrown around.  It makes you feel confident that the techniques will work with everyone, but thats not the case.

Bondster
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Everything you ever wanted to know about street fighting and some things you don't...

Go here -> [url]www.gutterfighting.org[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top