Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/4/2003 7:40:58 AM EDT
Hi, anyone have any information/experience about hapkido or combat hapkido. I've done some extensive net searching, but want some first hand information. There are schools for both relatively near me. One is a Tae Kwon Do school that is adding hapkido. One is traditional hapkido, but very expensive. and the other is Combat Hapkido.. they say they actually teach a combination of traditional and combat hapkido. I think I am leaning toward the combat hapkido because they also incorporate some escrima stick tactics which I am interested in. Anyone have any thoughts? thanks
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:51:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:55:38 AM EDT
Thanks for the input. Actually, Combat Hapkido is a recognized school/style by the Korean KiDo Federation. The Korean name is Chon-Tu Kwan HapKiDo. Basically it takes a lot of the high kicks and flashy stuff out and just uses the practical stuff. It also incorporates a complete 'ground grappling system.' In regards to the sticks, I am just wanting to learn that for personal interest. It is not like I'm going to be carrying a pair of 20" sticks with me.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:57:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:32:09 PM EDT
Any martial art is better than no martial art. Do you want to carry a Jennings 25 auto or a Sig 239? I have trained in Shotokan Karate, Wado ryu, Te Kwon Do, Jujitsu. Advanced belts in all but due to things happening beyond my control could not stay at one school long enough to get that Black Belt. I am welcome to train with any of my former teachers. Now my opion. Stay the Hell away from Combat Hapkido! They are very skilled but fall way short on why of DO The national org has some very serios character problems. Hopkido is a very good school to train at if you can not do high kicks. Very practical art for women and those not as physical inclined. Most people never make it to the Black Belt level anyway, thats OK What you learn will last you a life time. Some schools are more sparing oriented, competion, or Kata . Try to find one thats balanced. Remember most arts are really about how not to fight. The " Combat Schools" need to advertise in Soldier of Fortune, the attitude are simalar. Pay attention to the level of comentment of the students when you visit a school. Watch the kids program. It will tell you a lot aboyt the charecter of a school. Ryus like firearms have a speciality to them, but follow any WAY long enough and there will be overlapping of styles. GOOD LUCK on your choice.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:15:38 AM EDT
Top Top