Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2002 10:01:12 PM EDT
How do you guys stay motivated to keep working out? I always lose motivation after about 4 or 5 months of lifting.

Its not that I don't see results because I do so I know its not that. I know for a fact that I feel better and am more productive in my schooling when I am in a lifting routine so I know its not that either.

That is why its beyond me why after 4 or 5 months I begin to take a day off here, then another one, and before I know it 4 months has gone by with out getting to the gym.

So whats the secret to motivation?

Link Posted: 11/9/2002 7:40:03 AM EDT
[#1]
[red]Endorphin addicted.[/red][:D] Got to break good sweat exercising/lifting to get more....more...more....more endorphins....got to go back to the gym for the 3rd time today[;)] twice a day I've done, but not 3 times.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Watching the hot chicks work out.  That's the only way I stay motivated.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 4:47:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Stay focused on a goal or upcoming event (competition, sparring, preparing for a sport...whatever you're into) and rewards (30 minutes in the Spa after a hard workout, a new toy when a goal is reached, like a new firearm or knife [:D] , and also having a circle of friends that I work with and work-out with that rag me mercilessly if I start getting slack)
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I will give you some of mine[:)] Seriously once I have been working out for a while it is seriously an addiction. I have a hard time leaving the gym, almost as hard not to go.

What kind of workout are you doing? All cardio sucks and everbody quits. Start lifting some heavy weights past the point of pain and you will get the endorpin high like bolt said. If you work to that point every workout you can't wait to go to the gym, and will start to make yourself going less.

Also, why are you going to the gym? Going "to get in shape" or "for my health" aren't very good reasons. (in terms of keeping you going) Pick smaller short term attainable goals. "gain 5 pounds of muscle in the next two months", "cut my body fat from 23% to 18% by new years" etc.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#5]
 My motivation is simple. I was fat all my life. At my heaviest I was 5'7" 265 lbs. Decided thirteen years ago to lose the weight. I succeeded in losing 100 lbs. I'm now 165 lbs.

Every time I need motivation i just think back to the days of being so fat I would sweat just walking in 50 degree weather and get short of breath climbing a set of stairs and how I'll never let that happen again!
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I see fat people and just knowing that "that" guy can't see his pecker when he takes his pants off is enough to keep me in shape.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 7:43:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Watching the hot chicks work out.  That's the only way I stay motivated.
View Quote

Yep!
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#8]
1) Working out with the "hot" girls at the gym every morning. [:D]

2) I just feel GREAT!!!

3) I look at the pics I have of myself when I was 95 pounds heavier.

[b][red][i]Libertas an Mortis!![/b][/red][/i]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#9]
The two things that keep me on track are;
1) My lifting buddy. MUCH easier to stay on track when someone's waiting for you.
2)A morbidly obese co-worker of mine. just looking at him makes me determined to continue working out.

Look for a partner. It helps a LOT.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Anabolic steroid injections...just kidding. I lose the will to get up at 5 am and work out every few weeks or so. After a few days off I realize I feel worse with out the workout.

Link Posted: 11/27/2002 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Howdy first post here on AR-15, glad ta meet ya.  

Have a goal, a big goal and break it down to little goals. Kinda like climbing a mountain, bight it off in chunks. One month at a time. One day of the month, one hour of the day.

it's the only way to stay motivated...little goals make one large goal. After that, it's all maintenance.

grumps
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top