Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 769
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 12:51:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I quit today on squats. not sure if it was the trying to do leg day after an 8hr night shift or the 3 am breakfast of chicken breasts and an avocado.

But squats killed me. Weight that shouldnt have been heavy was mind boggling.

But I only quit on the pause squats. I upped the weight to 405 and did box squats instead. on the idea that I'm still focusing on the movement above the hole and I'm upping the weight and lowering the intensity. Was a salve to my wounded ego to hit 2 sets of 10 at a 405 box squat.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/10/2020 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 4:09:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ACPjunkie:
I quit today on squats. not sure if it was the trying to do leg day after an 8hr night shift or the 3 am breakfast of chicken breasts and an avocado.

But squats killed me. Weight that shouldnt have been heavy was mind boggling.

But I only quit on the pause squats. I upped the weight to 405 and did box squats instead. on the idea that I'm still focusing on the movement above the hole and I'm upping the weight and lowering the intensity. Was a salve to my wounded ego to hit 2 sets of 10 at a 405 box squat.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/169843/Screenshot_20201110-044404_Sheets_jpg-1677559.JPG
View Quote

I felt that way yesterday.  Just didn't have the energy.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I did conditioning with a sandbag yesterday, knowing full well I had to sit my ass on a very steep roof all day today.

As expected, it sucks being very hamstring and calf sore while working on a roof.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Today I learned that doing “boring but big” 5x10 squats is, um, challenging.

The second half of the last two sets was mind torture.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#7]
your not wrong. It's tough. like a great big mental game
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By UTex86:

View Quote

That sounds awful.  It wasn't bad when I was doing bench press.   But my squat and quads are big enough not to do that.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 7:57:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UTex86] [#9]
View Quote

I completely agree.

IMO with squats, especially on higher rep sets, your mind is ready to quit before your body is. As opposed to some lifts where I find the set is over because the body simply will not perform another rep no matter how bad you want it.

With squats when my mind is ready to quit, I can still usually grind at least one more out, sometimes several more. I've surprised myself a couple of times when I resolved to not quit the set, and "just one more" 'd myself to get 4 more reps.

I'd argue that squats is the most mental of the lifts.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 8:26:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grady] [#10]

View Quote

Volume kills my old ass.

I upped the BBB percentages significantly and dropped the reps to sets of 5 instead of 10. And I do the alternating method instead of BBB on the same day as the main lift. It’s been working well for a long time.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 8:26:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bcauz3y] [#11]
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone have a bison bar? Duffalo, Yukon, etc? Big bowed bar?

I recently got one on sale from titan and maybe I'm doing it wrong but I kind of fuckin' hate it. Do I just need to stop being a pussy or are they really turrible?
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By therex:
Does anyone have a bison bar? Duffalo, Yukon, etc? Big bowed bar?

I recently got one on sale from titan and maybe I'm doing it wrong but I kind of fuckin' hate it. Do I just need to stop being a pussy or are they really turrible?
View Quote

No, but I hate safety bar squats lol.

Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#14]
They're fairly awesome for me. For you, you squat fairly narrow and stay fairly upright. The bent bar is going to force you to stay more upright. For me, with messed up shoulders, this gives me the ability to squat more upright. Try wide stance with this bar and it should be better.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By grady:

Volume kills my old ass.

I upped the BBB percentages significantly and dropped the reps to sets of 5 instead of 10. And I do the alternating method instead of BBB on the same day as the main lift. It’s been working well for a long time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Volume kills my old ass.

That's similar to the FSL template, where you use your first 531 set for fives.

I think there is boring but strong too, where it's the same layout as BBB, but something like 85% for 5x5.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

I think there is boring but strong too, where it's the same layout as BBB, but something like 85% for 5x5.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

Volume kills my old ass.

I’ll check out those templates.

The way I’m doing it right now is kinda like a 4-day Texas Method with reps cycled weekly on intensity day.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Achievement unlocked.

Link Posted: 11/11/2020 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#18]

I completely agree.

IMO with squats, especially on higher rep sets, your mind is ready to quit before your body is. As opposed to some lifts where I find the set is over because the body simply will not perform another rep no matter how bad you want it.

With squats when my mind is ready to quit, I can still usually grind at least one more out, sometimes several more. I've surprised myself a couple of times when I resolved to not quit the set, and "just one more" 'd myself to get 4 more reps.

View All Quotes

I completely agree.

Your brain tries to fool your body. It “feels” like your legs stop working. That if you start the descent that you won’t get back up. But somehow you do. I feel like I have to shut off my brain and concentrate on the movement cues when doing the last 4-6 when doing 20 rep squats.

I agree that it’s the most mental.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Achievement unlocked.

View Quote

Nice!

I live vicariously through you guys that are consistent enough to make progress.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Achievement unlocked.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/11/2020 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Achievement unlocked.

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/11/2020 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By frayedknot:

Your brain tries to fool your body. It "feels" like your legs stop working. That if you start the descent that you won't get back up. But somehow you do. I feel like I have to shut off my brain and concentrate on the movement cues when doing the last 4-6 when doing 20 rep squats.

I agree that it's the most mental.
View Quote
100%

I've even been known to put my towel over my head so I'm not even looking at myself in the mirror. All I have to think about is going down and coming up. Its hell, and people look at you weird. butfuckit

I've broken down and bought creatine today. Gona get swole AF.
I think I've broken my legs. I'm getting hella DOMS on every leg session this time around on Cube. I wasnt prepared for that . So I'm going to add creatine in and see if the extra water moving through the muscles and gets the DOMS to chill the fuck out. I'm pretty good on water consumption out here, considering this is the fucking desert, so Im not too too concerned about kidney stones. I am having issues with getting enough protein day to day. My only hot meal during my work week is midrats, so I can pound hella eggs and breakfast meats, add in some cold boiled eggs or the plain chicken breasts they keep under the warming lamps takes care of my pre-bed meal. But Im still needing to add up to three 40 gram protein shakes to hit 300 grams daily

add in my ongoing issues in maintaining a decent sleep schedule during the day out here and its just lame.

Link Posted: 11/11/2020 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#23]

I've even been known to put my towel over my head so I'm not even looking at myself in the mirror. All I have to think about is going down and coming up. Its hell, and people look at you weird. butfuckit

View Quote

I don’t have a mirror in my basement. But, I often will close my eyes during limit sets for squats and deadlifts.

I’m pretty sure there are times when I haven’t actually closed my eyes that I’ve experienced visual and auditory exclusion.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Achievement unlocked.

View Quote

Hells yah!

That’s strong.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Another squat comp on Friday.

I'm three weeks into the second round of Cube and about 20 days from my last max attempts at 500 and 515.

Obviously you dont want to try and max mid cycle, but just as obviously. Mama ACPjunkie didnt raise no bitch.

So my conundrum, I've had a grand total of 3 deadlift workouts and 3 squat workouts. 4 and 4 if you count the actual max attempts. Cube does a good job of setting up for a max session/ meet at the end of the 10th week. But thats at the end of week 10, not week 3/4 (I start week 4 tomorrow with deads)

So what should I be looking at for my attempts?
Using a 500lb squat max ( the heaviest I've completed) 90% is 450, 95% is 475. I'm tempted to use 475 as an opener, 2nd attempt at my true hundo percent and maybe get froggy for my 3rd attempt.

any significant issues with this train for thought?

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#26]
My work schedule made lifting pretty difficult (still is) and then when covid hit I completely stopped lifting back in April. So I have not been following Wendler for about 15 months. I was right around a 1000lb total. I’m on my third cycle back into Wendler with a total weight reset and it feels great.

Feels good man.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 3:43:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ACPjunkie] [#27]
Week 4 Cube starts off with "Heavy" Deads.

Worked some block pulls and deficits, this was probably the heaviest I've ever pulled from a deficit. I wouldnt say it felt good, but I'm happy with my adaption to the programming.

460x5  at a 3-4in deficit. Feels good man, feels good.

Link Posted: 11/19/2020 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Week 4 Cube starts off with "Heavy" Deads.

Worked some block pulls and deficits, this was probably the heaviest I've ever pulled from a deficit. I wouldnt say it felt good, but I'm happy with my adaption to the programming.

460x5  at a 3-4in deficit. Feels good man, feels good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clpapyj3m0s
View Quote

I might have to throw deficits into the mix.

What’s your drop off from regular DL?
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:
This is why you break obstacles.
View Quote

it happened once, and I say that it was rigged!
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#31]

I might have to throw deficits into the mix.

What's your drop off from regular DL?
View Quote
Hard to say, I haven't worked a 5RM  for standard deads in months at this point and I've never looked for a 1RM on deficits so I cant exactly draw a correlation there. A max calculator says that 5 reps at 460 would put my 1RM at 517, which seems inaccurate but thats what it says.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Got 275x9 on bench yesterday, which is a pretty big calculated 1RM PR.

Up to 234lbs now but pants still fitting well arms still looking nice and veiny.

How are you guys filming yourselves? Little tripod for the phone or just propping it up somewhere?

Looking forward to my monster rack getting here (hopefully in ~6 weeks or less) and I can start working out in the garage.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Got 275x9 on bench yesterday, which is a pretty big calculated 1RM PR.

Up to 234lbs now but pants still fitting well arms still looking nice and veiny.

How are you guys filming yourselves? Little tripod for the phone or just propping it up somewhere?

Looking forward to my monster rack getting here (hopefully in ~6 weeks or less) and I can start working out in the garage.
View Quote

I have a carbon fiber Manfrotto Befree fluid ball head that has a phone clamp in the QD plate... It’s a $400 tripod to hold a $1,000 phone to film me squat not very much weight. I also use this tripod as my ultralight backpacking tripod for holding my binos when glassing for deer and elk. Or scoring antelope on the hoof.

Garage gym are best gym...  Lobo solitario en entrenamiento. (Lone wolf in training).
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 11:30:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CLICKBANGBANG] [#34]

In case anyone didn’t see it, 03RNs wife went into labor very early. If you could, go congratulate him and keep baby Claire in your thoughts and prayers.

It looks like he mentioned C-section and baby and mom is doing ok.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/My-wifes-going-into-labor-13-weeks-early/5-2393437/?page=1

Link Posted: 11/20/2020 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#35]
did 3x3 @ 443 which felt really good and I wanted to see if I could pull 500 today cuz I WAS FEELING GOOD.

note to everyone: That's a dumb idea don't do it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#36]
did 3x3 @ 443 which felt really good and I wanted to see if I could pull 500 today cuz I WAS FEELING GOOD.

View Quote

I hate when that happens.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Garyindiane:

View Quote
yeah, I feel like I had a bad chiro visit. :( Right at the transition point, I got three quick pops up my back. I finished the lift (easily, btw) because I figured that would hurt less. I feel ok, definitely fatigued in my back I just hope I haven't hurt anything.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#38]
yeah, I feel like I had a bad chiro visit. :( Right at the transition point, I got three quick pops up my back. I finished the lift (easily, btw) because I figured that would hurt less. I feel ok, definitely fatigued in my back I just hope I haven't hurt anything.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Garyindiane:

Those pops were the muscles becoming so confused they let out an audible cry.

You’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I wouldnt go to sleep though. I always seem to wake up super soar, so sleeping must be the cause.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Bailed on 515lb again. Shits heavy yo

My second attempt earned me second place, again. I'd have taken it if I had hit 515.

Link Posted: 11/20/2020 9:25:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AnvilUSMC] [#41]

My second attempt earned me second place, again. I'd have taken it if I had hit 515.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pu75ONxYvo
View Quote

High pulls just became your new best friend.

You lost the lift with your upper back, your legs had the drive. Great attempt though man and congrats on placing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#42]
I havnt played with high pulls since my crossfit days. Can add them back into the mix.

I'm also going to up the intensity of my pause squat variations as well as going heavier for fewer reps on my RDL on my squat specific days. Maybe add in a bit of glute specific work, heavy hip thrusts or whatever the girls in yoga pants do with the curl bars.

Regardless, still running Cube. I'll finish week 4 tomorrow with OHP and accessory work.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

I pulled 525 the other day because I was feeling good and then whent and lifted the atlas stones.  

Well not all of them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#44]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pu75ONxYvo
View Quote

You had that.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Been a pretty good week.

Hit some rep PRs.

Squat 405x6
Bench 315x5
DL 455x6

Turkey recovery will be very welcome indeed.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Happy Thanksgiving, gentlemen!
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Happy Thanksgiving, gentlemen!
View Quote

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Been a pretty good week.

Hit some rep PRs.

Squat 405x6
Bench 315x5
DL 455x6

Turkey recovery will be very welcome indeed.
View Quote
Stronk indeed
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Pause Skwatz suck.

Happy thanksgiving, may the turkey god bless you with bountiful gains
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#50]
We still doing Klokov presses?

Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top