Page / 769
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Garyindiane:
Is everyone cutting and doing P90X?

No post since the 7th.
View Quote
I tried P90X a while ago. It sucked. It’s a bunch of circus tricks with no actual training component.

If you want to pick that type of thing to burn fat with decent HIIT, do Insanity. It’s not weight training but it will burn fat. If you can mix it in between lifting days you’ll be way better off than P90X.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#2]

No post since the 7th.
View Quote
I’m still getting fatter and stronger.

It has been pretty quiet around here though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#3]

No post since the 7th.
View Quote
No one in this thread even lifts.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Broken page jump start.

Link Posted: 5/16/2019 7:05:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#5]
I'm cutting. I can run 3 miles in under 22 minutes. But squated 390 right before that.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By KaiK:
I'm cutting. I can run 3 miles in under 22 minutes. But squated 390 right before that.
View Quote
Dang that's pretty quick. And a good squat. 👍
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#7]
My squat sucks so fucking bad...

Link Posted: 5/17/2019 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By grady:
My squat sucks so fucking bad...

View Quote
I'll trade you some squat for a few bench XP
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By thormx538:

I'll trade you some squat for a few bench XP
View Quote
I need way more squat than I can spare on bench, but we could probably work something out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Pulled 315 yesterday morning finally. And it went up easy. First time I tried mixed grip.

I bought some of the fat gripz to help with grip strength (should be here tomorrow) and some straps and a shaker (3 items for free shipping, I'm not at the point I need straps)
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 5:54:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kingpin_56] [#12]
Has anyone added running into their program on the off days? how? how did it effect you? Forgive me for not searching 670+pp.

I am thinking about doing some running/walking on monday / wednesday / saturday bringing my training to 6 days a week with one 2 a day. Or combining back and chest for with no accessory work for 5 days training.

The running would not be for time but distance. Ive tracked a few 13 mile hikes while hunting/scouting without issue but I need to run it. I could do a 5k now and may just do that instead but am interested to see if its been done here before with any luck.

If I went from a 455 x 4 to a 435 x 3 Im okay with it. I dont want to go from 455 x 4 to 365 x 2 though.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 7:02:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By kingpin_56:
Has anyone added running into their program on the off days? how? how did it effect you? Forgive me for not searching 670+pp.

I am thinking about doing some running/walking on monday / wednesday / saturday bringing my training to 6 days a week with one 2 a day. Or combining back and chest for with no accessory work for 5 days training.

The running would not be for time but distance. Ive tracked a few 13 mile hikes while hunting/scouting without issue but I need to run it. I could do a 5k now and may just do that instead but am interested to see if its been done here before with any luck.

If I went from a 455 x 4 to a 435 x 3 Im okay with it. I dont want to go from 455 x 4 to 365 x 2 though.
View Quote
455 doing what? DL?

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 1:11:53 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
I'm running 3 miles twice a week. I just did it in  21:30

I'm still  over 1100 on big three closer to 1150.  But also lost around 15 lbs.

You need to get your diet dialed in and make sure you are getting enough protein.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 1:17:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kingpin_56] [#15]
Originally Posted By LoneCoyoteHunter:

455 doing what? DL?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LoneCoyoteHunter:

455 doing what? DL?

455 DL

6'1 1/2" lol I keep getting shorter the more I squat! 110kg yesterday at Docs so about 240

I'm running 3 miles twice a week. I just did it in 21:30

I'm still over 1100 on big three closer to 1150. But also lost around 15 lbs.

You need to get your diet dialed in and make sure you are getting enough protein.
Ok. I could add more meat with ease!

Are you doing anything with the diet on differnt days of training or just more protein in general.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 6:48:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#16]

455 DL

6'1 1/2" lol I keep getting shorter the more I squat! 110kg yesterday at Docs so about 240

Ok. I could add more meat with ease!

Are you doing anything with the diet on differnt days of training or just more protein in general.
View Quote
I'm in keto. It's not good for strength at all.

Eat lots of food if you don't care about weight gain.  Weight gain isn't good for running though. But really good for strength.

More protein everyday for me.

Some people change their calorie intake on different days, and their carb count.  Protein should always be the same though.

Unless you are trying to be a top athlete the calorie thing wont really matter as long as you are consistantly eating the same every day.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote
At 61 1/2 and 240, you will lose weight with all that running, so I would expect a drop in DL.
Probably more than 20 lbs too. On the positive side, you'll fly up hills when hunting.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#18]

I'm running 3 miles twice a week. I just did it in  21:30

I'm still  over 1100 on big three closer to 1150.  But also lost around 15 lbs.

View Quote
Impressive KaiK.  What's your goal?

I have to pass a contractors exam in Floiriduh, so far I've failed 6 practice exams in a row and I've told myself I don't have a life or a gym membership till the test is passed.  Leaving for the swampland in a few hours.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#19]
My squat finally inched ever so slightly passed my bench. So, I guess that’s a step toward normal.

Part of it is due to actual progress on the squat. Unfortunately, part is also that gains on bench have ground to a halt ever since I pushed for my 315 1RM. Running back up since then has been very frustrating. Not hitting any PRs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Pulled 365# for 5 tonight, new PR for deadlift.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 11:50:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SCW:

Impressive KaiK.  What's your goal?

I have to pass a contractors exam in Floiriduh, so far I've failed 6 practice exams in a row and I've told myself I don't have a life or a gym membership till the test is passed.  Leaving for the swampland in a few hours.
View Quote
Be ripped, fast and strong.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#22]
My squat finally inched ever so slightly passed my bench. So, I guess that’s a step toward normal.

Part of it is due to actual progress on the squat. Unfortunately, part is also that gains on bench have ground to a halt ever since I pushed for my 315 1RM. Running back up since then has been very frustrating. Not hitting any PRs.
View Quote
Sometimes when you make a nice gain, you have to "consolidate" it by backing off a bit and focusing on increasing your reps at a lower weight.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Program for bench today had me at 185 for a 1+ amrap, got 4 out, then said fuck it and threw on another 20# and got 205 for 1. 225 soon!
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Keymaster4225:
Program for bench today had me at 185 for a 1+ amrap, got 4 out, then said fuck it and threw on another 20# and got 205 for 1. 225 soon!
View Quote
Good job man!
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
Pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Pretty good.
View All Quotes
Pretty good.
Bench has been my weakest lift since I started. I've now got a 365 for 5 dead, 315 for 3 squat and 145 for 4 ohp. Doesn't help that I've been battling elbow tendonitis for awhile either.

I'll be seriously stoked when I finally hit 2plates on bench.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Bench has been my weakest lift since I started. I've now got a 365 for 5 dead, 315 for 3 squat and 145 for 4 ohp. Doesn't help that I've been battling elbow tendonitis for awhile either.

View All Quotes
Pretty good.

I wear elbow sleeves. I don’t know if it’s the slight compression or the warmth, but I haven’t had tendinitis issues since wearing them. They are pretty worn out so it could just be placebo.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By frayedknot:
I wear elbow sleeves. I don’t know if it’s the slight compression or the warmth, but I haven’t had tendinitis issues since wearing them. They are pretty worn out so it could just be placebo.
View All Quotes
Pretty good.

I've been wearing a compression sleeve almost 24/7 on my left  elbow for a few weeks and it's finally feeling better. I can actually do curls again, thank christ, now I can actually try to get my arms to grow.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#29]
I might need to get a sleeve.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
I use fairly loose knee sleeves when I squat so I don't get much compression but they do get the joint warm quick and I've never had a knee issue again since using them. I'd say the warmth is likely a huge factor. Elbow sleeves are probably my next purchase.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By PancakeOfDoom:

I use fairly loose knee sleeves when I squat so I don't get much compression but they do get the joint warm quick and I've never had a knee issue again since using them. I'd say the warmth is likely a huge factor. Elbow sleeves are probably my next purchase.
View Quote
it is my very strong opinion that the average knee sleeve does dickola for stability but helps because it keeps your joints warm and the blood a-flowin...
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By therex:
it is my very strong opinion that the average knee sleeve does dickola for stability but helps because it keeps your joints warm and the blood a-flowin...
View Quote
These seems to be true. One of mine is completely blown out on one side. Doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By therex:
View Quote
I agree.  I only wear one on the knee that has seen several surgeries.  I have to put it on an hour or more before I lift and it feels great, gives the knee plenty of time to get warm.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Took a week off and 5 months snuck by.

Feels bad man.

Wife said my delts were smaller

Feels bad man.

Guess I'm back.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:
Took a week off and 5 months snuck by.

Feels bad man.

Wife said my delts were smaller

Feels bad man.

Guess I'm back.
View Quote
I took about a month off and now 2 months later I still haven’t caught back up to where I was. I must be getting old I guess.

I think I’m going to have fun and do some heavy singles today. That should really make me feel old
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By BASE:

I took about a month off and now 2 months later I still haven’t caught back up to where I was. I must be getting old I guess.

I think I’m going to have fun and do some heavy singles today. That should really make me feel old
View Quote
Never ever take a month off... All of those gains lost.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:

Never ever take a month off... All of those gains lost.
View Quote
Sad.

I did pull 465x5 Wednesday and that’s pretty close to where I was. Squats tonight did just what I said they would and made me feel old. 425x1 and then wussed out on 445. I put my belt on for the first time in a while and had to go another notch out
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#38]
I strive to one day achieve the wretched weakness of which some of you complain.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I strive to one day achieve the wretched weakness of which some of you complain.
View Quote
Ok... But I don’t really recommend it.

Explode a disc in your back. You’ll lay there for a few months doped up on meds waiting on the surgery, and rest of the year in physical therapy trying to get off the pills.

Ta da! ... All of your gains gone, and the barbell empty is too heavy for you to move.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't know if anyone is familiar with 70sbig.com

I just found out that Justin Lascek stopped updating the site because he enlisted and became an SF soldier. He lost his legs to an IED a few months ago.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By MeatBag:
I don't know if anyone is familiar with 70sbig.com

I just found out that Justin Lascek stopped updating the site because he enlisted and became an SF soldier. He lost his legs to an IED a few months ago.
View Quote
I read about that over at the starting strength forums. I was wondering what had happened to 70’sbig. His article on Memorial Day is pretty moving.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Worked up to a 525 DL tonight, 193lb BW. I've hit 500 once before but I weighed like 215lb.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Worked up to a 525 DL tonight, 193lb BW. I've hit 500 once before but I weighed like 215lb.
View Quote
I hit 380 for a single tonight. That’s my best. I felt pretty fucking good about it until I read your post.

Seriously though, nice job! 525 is legitimately strong.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote
Very nice.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Got 480x5 deadlifting today. I think that’s an all time best for me.

My squats are still all messed up. I think I’ve done something to my IT band as it keeps hurting worse on the outside. This has been going on for 3 months or so now and is getting really frustrating.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 7:56:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By BASE:
Got 480x5 deadlifting today. I think that’s an all time best for me.

My squats are still all messed up. I think I’ve done something to my IT band as it keeps hurting worse on the outside. This has been going on for 3 months or so now and is getting really frustrating.
View Quote
That's pretty stout.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Oh, hi guys.

Things have happened.

Attachment Attached File

Introducing....

Attachment Attached File

I also did a thing for my wife.

Attachment Attached File

And this is coming. The photo is from a bad angle. It will be mounted high on a wall so you will be looking up at him. He is posed as if he were about to hook and toss you. One thing with buff mounts I have always been less than impressed with, is when they are mounted on a wall and looking forward, the bosses and overall horn conformation isn't always accentuated. So with this pose I was hoping to overcome that. Once it finally gets here and I put it on the wall I'll post more.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:
Oh, hi guys.

Things have happened.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/316036/IMG_0762_jpg-971576.JPG

Introducing....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/316036/IMG_0884_jpg-971578.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/316036/IMG_0866_jpg-971579.JPG

And this is coming. The photo is from a bad angle. It will be mounted high on a wall so you will be looking up at him. He is posed as if he were about to hook and toss you. One thing with buff mounts I have always been less than impressed with, is when they are mounted on a wall and looking forward, the bosses and overall horn conformation isn't always accentuated. So with this pose I was hoping to overcome that. Once it finally gets here and I put it on the wall I'll post more.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/316036/buffalo_shoulder_JPG-971594.JPG
View Quote

Congratulations!
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:
Oh, hi guys.

Things have happened.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/316036/IMG_0762_jpg-971576.JPG

Introducing....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/316036/IMG_0884_jpg-971578.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/316036/IMG_0866_jpg-971579.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/316036/buffalo_shoulder_JPG-971594.JPG
View Quote
Definitely yours. You both have the same shaped head.

Not sure I could pull it off, but I guess when you're big, no one would make fun of you for driving a minivan. I'm trying to unsmall myself. Not quite "big enough to drive a minivan and not get made fun of" yet.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#50]

Congratulations!
View Quote
Thanks!

Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:

Definitely yours. You both have the same shaped head.

Not sure I could pull it off, but I guess when you're big, no one would make fun of you for driving a minivan. I'm trying to unsmall myself. Not quite "big enough to drive a minivan and not get made fun of" yet.
View Quote
lol. Unfortunately for him, he has what was my hairline.

My wife was really surprised I wanted to go with a minivan, she wanted a medium to large suv. I 1) didn't want to pay for it and 2) didn't want to deal with something pretending it is as family friendly as a minivan. We got it from carmax, got a fair price on the van and they did me right on her trade in. It has a ton of options and will serve us well.

Plus if you want to split hairs, it would be way easier to transport a bunch of lifters in this thing than any other vehicle type. Low entry, good for poor mobility especially after squats. Tons of interior space, good for big guys and/or folks with ILS. 3 climate zones(that will undoubtedly have the a/c cranked). 2 drink holders per person, 1 for protein and 1 for BCAAs. DVD/bluray so they can watch Westside vs the world on the way to the buffet. Everything reclines, which should help with the apnea.
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top