BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 769
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SCW:
I'm pretty sure I'd look like a deposed French king if I tried to hold 500lbs over my neck.

I did manage a 45lb clean today, followed by a few front squats.  That makes the first of both in right about 17 months.  The bar sat on my shoulders well, but still hurt the wrist so I didn't try for more.

Then I got a few split jerks at 175, first time for those in 17 months too.  Gotta love progress, even when it's just getting back to old working weights.
View Quote
lol. I had the safety bars set! Just high enough where the bar could crack some ribs but not kill me. Stabilizing that much weight was the interesting part. Once I got it stable it was good.

Lifting with the shirt is totally different than the sling shot. With the slingshot you feel the rubber band effect from the elasticity. With the shirt it helps you move the weight, but you definitely feel like you are doing all the work. It is a cool sensation.

That's great you are getting back into some other lifts. Most guys would have just said screw it after an injury put them down that long. It says a lot about your determination.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:
Did a little work in the bench shirt. Got 5 plates to a 4 board. Went up smooth took a little effort to touch. 455 to a 4 board was stupid easy(touching was the hardest part). Gotta love it.
View Quote
Good stuff!
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Then I got a few split jerks at 175, first time for those in 17 months too.  Gotta love progress, even when it's just getting back to old working weights.
View Quote
Glad to hear things are progressing, but did you jerk from behind the neck or what? If you're doing empty bar cleans and front squats, I mean...
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By therex:
Glad to hear things are progressing, but did you jerk from behind the neck or what? If you're doing empty bar cleans and front squats, I mean...
View Quote
No, they were normalish jerks.  I can't rest the bar on my shoulders so I was jerking from about the same position you'd start a press from.  Holding weight in the  hands doesn't hurt much anymore, but letting the wrist bend back like a front squat is not great.

I'm doing crossfit for the time I'm here in Phoenix, the 6:30am class has a few old fat guys, a few old fat ladies and a few skinny old ladies.

I'm the slowest of them all.  I spend my time staggering around unable to ask for medical assistance, and by the time I can ask another old lady has passed me and I try another round.  And at 6:30 it's only 114 in the shade.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#5]

I can't rest the bar on my shoulders so I was jerking from about the same position you'd start a press from. 
View Quote
Oh. Uh. So when you press/jerk, you're...holding the bar completely off your body? 
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By therex:
Oh. Uh. So when you press/jerk, you're...holding the bar completely off your body? 
View Quote
Zactly.

Today was a chipper wod

30cal row
45 russian swings (I used a 75lb kb)
200m OH carry (I used a 45lb plate)
45 box jumps
200m KB carry (I used two 75lb kbs)
45 burpees
30 cal air dyne

I finished in 25:35 which means the old man in the wheelchair with emphysema and a hook for a left hand beat me, but his mother didn't!
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:49:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: therex] [#7]
Deadlift daaaaaaaaaaaay:
3×4×380 
2×3×405 
2" Deficit:
2×6×360 

My hands hurt. :( 
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#8]
@nyalaman What countries in Africa have you hunted? My dad and I are looking at doing something possibly in Mozambique, Zimbabwe, etc. and I was wondering if you had any recommendations for outfits out there. I am looking at doing Cape buffalo and he is looking into sable, nyala, and other plains game.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't put my hand flat still so I did those burpees off my knuckles.  Weak skin, I had a pretty good puddle of blood when I was done that I scrubbed off the floor and the fingers are pretty hammered today.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:59:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nyalaman] [#10]
@nyalaman What countries in Africa have you hunted? My dad and I are looking at doing something possibly in Mozambique, Zimbabwe, etc. and I was wondering if you had any recommendations for outfits out there. I am looking at doing Cape buffalo and he is looking into sable, nyala, and other plains game.
View Quote
Anvil- I've only hunted RSA, but traveled quite a bit around within it. You can definitely hunt all 3 species there in one trip. Cape Buffalo is mostly in Northeastern areas and Sable is spread out in spotty but larger areas. Nyala are found most heavily populated in the Eastern Cape and Natal provinces, but other regions too. There are some Southern concessions that hold Cape Buffalo. If I were doing Cape,Nyala, and Sable, I'd use John X Safaris, I know they have all 3 animals in their concessions. They guided me in 1996 and they've grown in size and reputation and have stunning trophies.
Here is their website. http://www.johnxsafaris.co.za/
This outfitter can set you up with up with them, this is who I have used as an outfitter for many years.
Thomas Hunt out of Boston- email-     [email protected] or call at 508-954-5487. He's been all over Africa and can give you good advice, and he may suggest another safari company because he keeps way more up to date on it than I do. He is a true expert on Africa.
RSA is a good option compared to other countries because it saves you an additional flight (usually) to another country, saving money and time. Plus if you go south of Johannesberg, you can avoid the malaria shot, because it's a malaria free zone in the cape province. I'd suggest going sooner instead of later. South African whites fear that at anytime their government could destabilize, turning the country into a shit show, like Zimbabwe did. A golden age of hunting there may truly be coming to an end.
This outfitter is excellent, a small family run business that has a good Nyala population at reasonable prices. http://www.eccapasshunt.co.za/
Tom Hunt (above) has hunted a lot in Zim and Mozamique, he can advise you best. John X Safari's guides in Mozambique also, I forgot to mention.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I can't put my hand flat still so I did those burpees off my knuckles.  Weak skin, I had a pretty good puddle of blood when I was done that I scrubbed off the floor and the fingers are pretty hammered today.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/122594/IMG_0179-302919.JPG
View Quote
Holy crap-ouch.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By nyalaman:

Anvil- I've only hunted RSA, but traveled quite a bit around within it. You can definitely hunt all 3 species there in one trip. Cape Buffalo is mostly in Northeastern areas and Sable is spread out in spotty but larger areas. Nyala are found most heavily populated in the Eastern Cape and Natal provinces, but other regions too. There are some Southern concessions that hold Cape Buffalo. If I were doing Cape,Nyala, and Sable, I'd use John X Safaris, I know they have all 3 animals in their concessions. They guided me in 1996 and they've grown in size and reputation and have stunning trophies.
Here is their website. http://www.johnxsafaris.co.za/
This outfitter can set you up with up with them, this is who I have used as an outfitter for many years.
Thomas Hunt out of Boston- email-     [email protected] or call at 508-954-5487. He's been all over Africa and can give you good advice, and he may suggest another safari company because he keeps way more up to date on it than I do. He is a true expert on Africa.
RSA is a good option compared to other countries because it saves you an additional flight (usually) to another country, saving money and time. Plus if you go south of Johannesberg, you can avoid the malaria shot, because it's a malaria free zone in the cape province. I'd suggest going sooner instead of later. South African whites fear that at anytime their government could destabilize, turning the country into a shit show, like Zimbabwe did. A golden age of hunting there may truly be coming to an end.
This outfitter is excellent, a small family run business that has a good Nyala population at reasonable prices. http://www.eccapasshunt.co.za/
Tom Hunt (above) has hunted a lot in Zim and Mozamique, he can advise you best. John X Safari's guides in Mozambique also, I forgot to mention.
View Quote
Thanks for the information! I did come across John X and have requested more info from them. I'll get in touch with Thomas and see what he has to say.

My dad is has a hang up to hunting RSA unless we find a place that is absolutely no high fence. He started getting upset that the farm we have gone to in Namibia started putting up some high fence, even though it was to keep a-hole cats away from the cattle and we never went behind any high fence...

But it does look like we are going to the dark continent to hunt Black Death. So I am beyond excited. After hunting a pissed off black wildebeest by foot I decided I needed more.

In two weeks I'm off to Texas for aoudad. We are going to hopefully iron out the details for 2018 then.

I agree with you about Africa's future being bleak. RSA and Namibia are both talking about land confiscation rather than simply buying land from whites that put it for sale and giving it to people with no idea how to farm because of their melanin count.

Thanks again for the info.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote
That's hardcore.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#14]
That's hardcore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That's hardcore.
It's crossfit brah.

You're not even trying unless you get rhabdo
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#15]
My shoulder hurts today and I didn't even do anything shoulder related
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MeatBag:
View Quote
Sounds like crossfit.  Just talking about it causes shoulder problems.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:45:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MeatBag] [#17]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Fuck. I think I can feel the SLAP tear and rhabdo coming on. I should've known better
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:34:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Fuck. I think I can feel the SLAP tear and rhabdo coming on. I should've known better
View Quote
I saw on the little banner running across the bottom during a football game yesterday that someone got a partial rotator cuff tear and a torn labrum from runniing the bases.  What?  Is 'running the bases' a new phrase for crossfit?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Shit you not. Inzer just sent me two emails saying they shipped my Leviathan and my sdp.
Inzer I love your product but god damn, you gotta do something about your computer system. Lol.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Start my strength phase this week. Yippee
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:48:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nyalaman] [#21]

Thanks for the information! I did come across John X and have requested more info from them. I'll get in touch with Thomas and see what he has to say.

My dad is has a hang up to hunting RSA unless we find a place that is absolutely no high fence. He started getting upset that the farm we have gone to in Namibia started putting up some high fence, even though it was to keep a-hole cats away from the cattle and we never went behind any high fence...

But it does look like we are going to the dark continent to hunt Black Death. So I am beyond excited. After hunting a pissed off black wildebeest by foot I decided I needed more.

In two weeks I'm off to Texas for aoudad. We are going to hopefully iron out the details for 2018 then.

I agree with you about Africa's future being bleak. RSA and Namibia are both talking about land confiscation rather than simply buying land from whites that put it for sale and giving it to people with no idea how to farm because of their melanin count.

Thanks again for the info.
View Quote
@Anvil- happy to help and good luck. I can see your dad's point of view on the High fences. Strangely we had a wounded Waterbuck that we were tracking  jump over a 9 foot high fence, from a no fenced area, INTO a high fenced area. Bleeding with a 300 mag in it's head, we found it 4 hours later. It had to have climbed that fence like a ladder, I have no idea how it was able to climb it. Blood and hair was on the top of the fence, and on each side of the fence...That's awesome that you're going back for Buff. I wish I could now- I'll go back with my son someday for a Buff, it's not in the cards at this moment in my life though. I know how you say it's calling you back... Africa always calls you back...like a drug calling an addict. Good luck on the Audad hunt, that will be fun, and post pics. What are you using for a rifle for the Audad? And where are you going.... west TX ?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#22]
531 squats today. 340x10 and some straight leg deads. Shrugs and weighted wide grip pulls. Did some curls and tri pulldowns for the bros too. Started making some decent progress on my main lifts again.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By BamaMarine:
531 squats today. 340x10 and some straight leg deads. Shrugs and weighted wide grip pulls. Did some curls and tri pulldowns for the bros too. Started making some decent progress on my main lifts again.
View Quote
Good training man, good squats.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#24]
750 reverse average bands today. Maybe could have gone 25-50 more but it started to sloppy so I called it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#25]

@Anvil- happy to help and good luck. I can see your dad's point of view on the High fences. Strangely we had a wounded Waterbuck that we were tracking  jump over a 9 foot high fence, from a no fenced area, INTO a high fenced area. Bleeding with a 300 mag in it's head, we found it 4 hours later. It had to have climbed that fence like a ladder, I have no idea how it was able to climb it. Blood and hair was on the top of the fence, and on each side of the fence...That's awesome that you're going back for Buff. I wish I could now- I'll go back with my son someday for a Buff, it's not in the cards at this moment in my life though. I know how you say it's calling you back... Africa always calls you back...like a drug calling an addict. Good luck on the Audad hunt, that will be fun, and post pics. What are you using for a rifle for the Audad? And where are you going.... west TX ?
View Quote
We are going in the mountains south(ish?) of Terlingua. It should be interesting. I'm thinking of bringing my .375 and using 270 grain hornady. Trajectory with a 200 yard zero is similar to a .308 out past 400 yards. That or a new(to me) .30-06 model 70 I need to try out. I'll probably end up with the .375 since I'm comfortable with it and want to accumulate more and more hunting with it.

I'm thinking of putting a picatinny rail on my .375 and putting my ta33 acog on it for the buff hunt. Should be pretty ideal as long as the eye relief is correct. I can use it like a red dot with both eyes open or take advantage of the magnification for more precise shots.  I'll measure before I spend money though.

I hear what you are saying about the fences. In principal I am against high fence. In reality they don't seem to do anything if the animal is even ever so slightly motivated.

You'll get back there with your son. It's a great goal. This will probably be my last trip there for sometime. I can see us going back for plains game in a few years but my dad is in his 60's and wants some different experiences as well. I'm worried that I'll get absolutely addicted to dangerous game and have to figure out how to fund it for thirty years.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By HALFNATTYGAINZ:
750 reverse average bands today. Maybe could have gone 25-50 more but it started to sloppy so I called it.
View Quote
Sweeeet.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Is there a 5 - 3 -1 program with more reps? I just think 5-3-1 really doesn't work for me, although I do use some of the principles of 5- 3 -1, I do not use the standard calculator to determine my weights.

Also unrelated, but my bench press is suffering, but my DB bench seems okay and my overhead press and pull-ups are better than ever. What gives? I feel like it HAS to either be a form issue or an injury I'm not aware of. Do you think I should just post a video of me doing flat bench to see what's going on?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By djkest:
Is there a 5 - 3 -1 program with more reps? I just think 5-3-1 really doesn't work for me, although I do use some of the principles of 5- 3 -1, I do not use the standard calculator to determine my weights.

Also unrelated, but my bench press is suffering, but my DB bench seems okay and my overhead press and pull-ups are better than ever. What gives? I feel like it HAS to either be a form issue or an injury I'm not aware of. Do you think I should just post a video of me doing flat bench to see what's going on?
View Quote
Are you asking for more reps on the main(Big) set or assistance lifts?
He has the suggestion of the GVT (german Volume training) which is a ton of volume.
Did you ever try Triumvirate?
Triumvirate = 5 x 10 of two exercises after the main lifts, this should kick most anyone's ass if they are doing it right.
Do You do Joker sets, or First set last from the beyond Book? That adds volume to the main movement.
Someone here will chime in about bench. I suck at it. Posting the video is a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By HALFNATTYGAINZ:
View Quote
There's some strength. Jesus.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By djkest:
View Quote
That's basically what the Juggernaut Method is
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#31]
@AnvilUSMC That 375 set up will be fun...It will be pretty flat shooting how you're setting it up it sounds. I would think it's very easy to get hooked on the dangerous stuff and Buff. Trump Jr is hooked on Buff hunting. He was on a series of hunting shows years back as a young man, and he made many trips, he made it very clear that he was drawn to the stalk in Buffalo hunting, he was passionate.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#32]
@AnvilUSMC That 375 set up will be fun...It will be pretty flat shooting how you're setting it up it sounds. I would think it's very easy to get hooked on the dangerous stuff and Buff. Trump Jr is hooked on Buff hunting. He was on a series of hunting shows years back as a young man, and he made many trips, he made it very clear that he was drawn to the stalk in Buffalo hunting, he was passionate.
View Quote
The only thing I'm worried about with the acog set up would be height over bore. Cheek weld I can take care of with a cheek pad if need be. I'll need to measure carefully and plug the numbers in to see what the trajectories should look like. I'm thinking of using the larue acog mount meant for the m16a4 that you can set further back so there shouldn't be eye relief issues.

I'll have to see if I can find the shows with Trump jr. I've had a lot of fun stalking some aggressive black wildebeests. So I can only image the thrill of Cape buffalo. Looks like we will be nailing something down in the next two weeks or so.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:43:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#34]

The only thing I'm worried about with the acog set up would be height over bore. Cheek weld I can take care of with a cheek pad if need be. I'll need to measure carefully and plug the numbers in to see what the trajectories should look like. I'm thinking of using the larue acog mount meant for the m16a4 that you can set further back so there shouldn't be eye relief issues.

I'll have to see if I can find the shows with Trump jr. I've had a lot of fun stalking some aggressive black wildebeests. So I can only image the thrill of Cape buffalo. Looks like we will be nailing something down in the next two weeks or so.
View Quote
With the height above bore you'll just have to try it out and then evaluate from there, hopefully it works. I'm pretty sure that the Trump Jr shows evaporated prior to the election, I've looked for them and can't find them. Apparently he's on the board of Boone and Crockett, and on Arfcom here too. Black wildebeests are quite a unique localized animal, and tough as nails. They can take the lead and energy and not go down easy. Let us know what your plans are when they come together so we can live the hunt though you.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Hank:

[morganfreemanhesrightyouknow.jpg]
View Quote
I suspected that after seeing the Juggernaut template.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Went to the gym with the wife today and did her WOD, found a 5 rep max weighted pullup.  I only got 5lbs  My 1RM was 25lbs.  I guess I need more pullups in my life, and less cookies.  

Headed out to Boise next week, so another month down the tubes with no gains (or even any real training).
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, I'm finally mostly healing up. Hip and shoulder are mostly better...I have a bit of golfers elbow, but...whatever.
Snatched 225 and squatted an easy 405 - not PRs, but the most I've been able to do in quite a while.

Hope everyone is killing it
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:02:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#39]
Been sick since Cola Warrior. Did nasal rinse. Got vertigo. Fell on floor. So fun.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Need some advice.

Wife unit is now a crossfitter. She did a hero wod on Monday. Her biceps are still swollen to the point where she can't bend her arms straight and the muscles are tight and solid. Especially her primary arm. Not good.

I have been lifting heavy things my whole adult life and have never had a similar thing happen. We are days past when her Dom's would be gone.

Any insight into this? I have had some horrible Dom's from both lifting and endurance work, but have never seen a muscle swell and get tight unless associated with some type of impact injury. Not to mention we are archery deer hunting in 10 days and there is no way she can shoot her bow.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:18:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MeatBag] [#41]
Originally Posted By flinch08:
Need some advice.

Wife unit is now a crossfitter. She did a hero wod on Monday. Her biceps are still swollen to the point where she can't bend her arms straight and the muscles are tight and solid. Especially her primary arm. Not good.

I have been lifting heavy things my whole adult life and have never had a similar thing happen. We are days past when her Dom's would be gone.

Any insight into this? I have had some horrible Dom's from both lifting and endurance work, but have never seen a muscle swell and get tight unless associated with some type of impact injury. Not to mention we are archery deer hunting in 10 days and there is no way she can shoot her bow.
View Quote
Pretty sure that's a primary symptom of rhabdo. Not joking.

"The “classic triad” of rhabdomyolysis symptoms are: muscle pain in the shoulders, thighs, or lower back;  muscle weakness or trouble moving arms and legs; and dark red or brown urine or decreased urination."

Requires a medical diagnosis
Symptoms include dark, reddish urine, a decreased amount of urine, weakness, and muscle aches.
People may experience:
Pain areas: in the muscles
Whole body: fatigue, inability to exercise, or water-electrolyte imbalance
Muscular: cramping, muscle weakness, or delayed onset muscle soreness
Urinary: dark urine or insufficient urine production
Also common: body ache, kidney damage, or muscle stiffness
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#42]
I looked at that first. Urine is clear and pale yellow. She isn't suffering from any distress other than her biceps at this point. No sign of anything weird going on other than a little fatigued, but with her schedule it is expected.

Regardless, bitching at her to go see a doctor tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:31:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MeatBag] [#43]
Doctor is definitely a good call. Better safe than sorry.

Tell her you'll never let her live it down if they have to amputate her arms later
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Latest quiz makes me think it may be. Now all the sudden she thinks she has a bladder infection that just happens to have started the day of the massive wod.

Grrrrr......
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By flinch08:
Latest quiz makes me think it may be. Now all the sudden she thinks she has a bladder infection that just happens to have started the day of the massive wod.

Grrrrr......
View Quote
Another possibility is compartment syndrome.

I know it's a decently common calf injury from running.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Ya, we just got done reading about that one. To the doctor in the morning.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:05:24 PM EDT
[#50]
And thanks for the help. Pretty concerned about her. I'm usually the one who gets beat up.
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top