Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2017 4:48:10 PM EDT
My son and I both have Remington 700's in .260 that are almost ready to be re-barreled. Now, we have to keep our brass separated because his chamber is larger than mine, if we don't the brass (Lapua) gets overworked and results in case head separation after just a few firings. I thought it would be beneficial if both new barrels were cut/reamed to the same spec.
Thanks in advance
Tom
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Not identically, because even if you use the exact same reamer, the reamer will have more wear on it.

For all practical purposes a good smith should be able to use the same reamer to the same headspace, so they will be functionally identical.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Skunkeye:
Not identically, because even if you use the exact same reamer, the reamer will have more wear on it.

For all practical purposes a good smith should be able to use the same reamer to the same headspace, so they will be functionally identical.
View Quote
This is why you ream to within .005" of finish with a resize reamer instead of hosing up your finish reamer doing the whole chamber.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I was wondering if a starter reamer of sorts would work to keep things close. Before a finish ream.

Also is there any benefit to having a blank die reamed from that reamer that would benefit the new chamberings .
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy your own reamer (as long as it's pretty standard) plus HS gauges.  A good smith can then chamber with your personal reamer and gauges...just tell them that you want it identical.

It will be very close.  

There are some smiths who chamber on a CNC...it is very repeatable but not super common.  

It can be done on a manual lathe as well...just takes longer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Might not be an option on your platform, but CHF barrels *should* have pretty identical chambers if they came off the same mandrel.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies, I am looking forward to getting this done.
Tom
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 2:05:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I spoke to my smith today and he said he could get them within 1 thousands of an inch of each other.
I will be ordering 2 Bartlein barrels this week.
Tom
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top