Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2017 4:28:26 PM EDT
Federal Gold Medal Berger - 130
GM65CRDBH130

Just curious if anyone has gotten their hands on this factory round yet? There are online vendors that have it listed, but everything shows OOS. Wonder if they have even released a few lots yet? I'm optimistic since FGMM has been incredibly awesome in other calibers. I'm assuming it's the Berger Hybrid bullet in 130?

Link
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I want to try some.  I haven't seen any available yet though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 12:58:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd like to try these out as well since the only factory that shoots decent in my rifle is Hornady 140gr. No go on Prime 130, Hornady 120, or Hornady 147.

My Berger 130gr AR Hybrid and Berger 140gr Hybrid Target handloads shoot 1/2MOA, though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:05:34 AM EDT
[#3]
My brother has 2 boxes.  I hope to try them out this weekend.

It's OOS everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#4]
FYI Walmart (of all places) has this ammo.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#5]
No Wally World Creedmoor ammo here.

I've found it for $23.59/box.  The furor must've calmed down or Federal really ramped up production because I can find it everywhere now (except Wal-Mart).
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rob78:
No Wally World Creedmoor ammo here.

I've found it for $23.59/box.  The furor must've calmed down or Federal really ramped up production because I can find it everywhere now (except Wal-Mart).
View Quote
Yeah no kidding. I really wanted it several months back because I was curious about them possibly using RE16 as the powder. 
I haven't pulled one apart yet, but it performed exactly like my load with the 130 Bergers. 
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:46:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ocabj] [#7]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
FYI Walmart (of all places) has this ammo.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/313055/IMG_4964-299784.JPG
View Quote
That box has the telltale signs of being opened. That is my biggest pet peeve when I walk down any ammo aisle of a store: people opening ammo boxes then putting them back on the shelf.

Anyway, I have my own mini-review of this stuff posted earlier this week: https://www.ocabj.net/mini-review-federal-premium-gold-medal-berger-6-5mm-creedmoor-130gr-ammunition/

Link Posted: 9/10/2017 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ocabj:

That box has the telltale signs of being opened. That is my biggest pet peeve when I walk down any ammo aisle of a store: people opening ammo boxes then putting them back on the shelf.

Anyway, I have my own mini-review of this stuff posted earlier this week: https://www.ocabj.net/mini-review-federal-premium-gold-medal-berger-6-5mm-creedmoor-130gr-ammunition/

https://www.ocabj.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Ocab-20170830-065954-1200.jpg
View Quote
Good review. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice review. I finally found some at Academy today for $27/box. Will try it out soon. That SD is a little higher than I expected though. So far it's still the Hornady 140 ELD-M for my Bergara rifle and if the FGMM doesn't out perform it, I've got my final load picked out till I start reloading. If that ever happens.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:21:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I fired two 5 shot groups though my JP barreled AR10.  It FLATTENED the primers.  That's  the only load to do that out of about 10 different boxes.

Velocity was outstanding, like 2850fps from a 22".  SD was 10.  BUT, it was the least accurate load I have tried next to Superformance.  HOWEVER, it had been 115 rounds since the barrel was cleaned before that.  I will clean the barrel and try the other 10, but I am scared by the flattened primers.  Maybe my barrel is fouled to the point of building pressure.  

Now I read somewhere these were made for magazine length.  Maybe my JP barrel already has a short chamber for magazine length ammo and these are getting forced into the lands.  I have not tried ejecting an unfired, but chambered round yet.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 6:35:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jonathan1994:
I fired two 5 shot groups though my JP barreled AR10.  It FLATTENED the primers.  That's  the only load to do that out of about 10 different boxes.

Velocity was outstanding, like 2850fps from a 22".  SD was 10.  BUT, it was the least accurate load I have tried next to Superformance.  HOWEVER, it had been 115 rounds since the barrel was cleaned before that.  I will clean the barrel and try the other 10, but I am scared by the flattened primers.  Maybe my barrel is fouled to the point of building pressure.  

Now I read somewhere these were made for magazine length.  Maybe my JP barrel already has a short chamber for magazine length ammo and these are getting forced into the lands.  I have not tried ejecting an unfired, but chambered round yet.
View Quote
From what I've read, Federal loaded these to the limit.

An early lot I fired resulted in a couple of blow primers and flattened primers in all others.  I got concerned (eve started a thread about it).

I still see flattened primers.  22" Kreiger barrel with Fulton Armory bolt (headspaced to barrel).

I've seen inconsistencies between lots.  One box I was able to shoot two 5 round groups, one was 1.25" and the next was slightly larger at just under 1.5" at 300yds.  Several weeks later we're shooting at 500yds and I'd end up with 3 shots nearly on top of one another, the next two would be next to each other but 6" higher.  Seemed to be a result of velocity differences from bullet to bullet.

I've gone back to the 140ELDM until Federal figures things out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I have no idea what powder they used, but I don't feel like Federal Gold Medal Berger is loaded to the limit when I compare it to what I have been doing for my own Berger 130gr AR Hybrid handloads prior to getting some of the FGMB ammo.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ocabj:
I have no idea what powder they used, but I don't feel like Federal Gold Medal Berger is loaded to the limit when I compare it to what I have been doing for my own Berger 130gr AR Hybrid handloads prior to getting some of the FGMB ammo.
View Quote
What powder are you using on your Berger 130 reloads
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
What powder are you using on your Berger 130 reloads
View Quote
H4350
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#15]
One thing to remember is that OEM's do not use canister grades of powder.  So, you can dissect by red neck reverse engineering!  But you are wasting time and NRG.  Why not use
QUALITY BRASS (AND FEDERAL IS NOT BRASS) work up loads for your gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top