Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2017 11:52:23 PM EDT
Which press does the serious reloaded choose?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Carlhwv:
View Quote

Dillon Super 1050

But I bet you are asking about the first press a novice reloader should get:: in that case ANY of the typical presses are just fine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#2]
For precision  stuff Co-ax.  Lots of people do case prep on a progressive.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Carlhwv:
View Quote
Depends on what you mean. If you're asking the question then you don't reload what you mean by serious is probably flawed.

So, a CH4 4 station is a nice multi-station non-progressive used by competition shooters. My coach and I both use one, so do most of the guys we compete against. They're great for taking to a range if you're dong a bench match or you have another good reason to be handloading at the range. https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/044000 These are super easy to use and set up. They're stupid strong and durable. Expensive but worth it especially if you need something between a single stage and a progressive press but you don't like turret arrangements or you want to take it to the range. It's really fast to use like a prog. If you have time and money this is a good way to go.

RCBS Rockchucker single stage is the old standby for newbs that want to not cheap out and want good kit for a lifetime. http://rcbs.com/Products/Presses-and-Kits/Single-Stage/Rock-Chucker-Supreme-Press.aspx The simplest and one of the toughest there is. Everyone I know has at least one Rockchucker. If you have time but not money this is the way to go. I have one of these which I use for load development.

Dillon 550 or another progressive press is what most hardcore shooters will eventually upgrade to if they shoot high volume enough or want to save time enough. http://www.dillonprecision.com/rl-550c_8_1_23594.html Progressive press, very difficult to set up compared to single stage or turret. Once you get into a dillon you'll go broke on accessories. If you have money but completely lack time this is the way to go. I have one of these that I use for all of my high volume ammo production, especially match rifle ammo.

Lee Challenger Anniversary Kit: If you don't have money (the kit is about 100 bucks) and you have plenty of spare time and neither of those situations are likely to change anytime soon, this is a great way to get into reloading without making a huge investment. It's sufficient to turn out great ammo but is not nearly as sturdy or slick as more expensive options. They're plenty durable. I've used my roughly for ~20 years and it's still chugging along. http://rd.bizrate.com/rd?t=https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/423081/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-anniversary-kit?cm_mmc=pf_ci_connexity-_-Reloading+-+Metallic+Reloading+Presses-_-Lee-_-423081&mid=77064&cat_id=12150125&atom=10468&prod_id=&oid=6045349214&pos=1&b_id=18&bid_type=10&bamt=cfbf9532e1e82faa&cobrand=1&ppr=b7affea52df7762b&rf=af1&af_assettype_id=12&af_creative_id=2973&af_id=26865&af_placement_id=1659178&dv=bc8b5aa76eb237768d786e8a48e2cde3&af_campaign_id=j2ndevbf4100zk8a03b2f

There's also the Dillon 650 and Super 1050 which are things you'll get if you know you need it. If you don't know you need one, you don't.

Those that are Al Gore level serious would probably get a Camdex machine because why pussy out when it comes to free shit to drink. http://www.camdexloader.com/
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:08:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#4]
The press doesn't matter. Lee will work

Someone please tell me how a CO-AX makes better ammo than any other press, you cannot say straight seating because I have already tested this.

With a Forster Ultra or Redding Comp seater my 18 year old, sloppy auto progressive press makes straight consistent ammo.
Outside of seating a bullet straight and not messing up the brass(more related to die and brass), the press you choose has almost nothing to do with the quality of ammo you make.

The ergonomics of the Co-Ax suck for speed as well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:58:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#5]
Disclaimer: I haven't done any reloading in years (but may be getting back into it for precision rifle ammo)...

I don't know that the press is all that important as long as it is functioning correctly...  Dies are another question entirely and I am sure that there has been many a long discussion/debate regarding reloading dies and which is/are best...

I think that a good single stage press is all that you really want initially as you are more interested in quality of the final product than volume/speed of loading.  RCBS, Lee, Hornady all make good single stage presses.  When I was in my late teens and early 20s, I loaded more stuff on an RCBS Rock Chucker than I tell you.  Great press and unkillable!  

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
The press doesn't matter. Lee will work
View Quote
Period. For all the money I have in presses, my 20 year old lee turns out just as high quality of ammunition as my RCBS. Honestly, I think the more complicated your press the more likely you are to make mistakes that result in crappy loads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top