SilencerCo Radius (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the tip. Ordered mine today.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm on the fence about these but at that price why the hell not.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Wasn't planning on this until next year but at that price I'm in for one as well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I also got in on this deal, but think my usecase may be different than others.

My plan is to use this with my Thermal so that I can accurately range targets in the dark.  It's very hard to even estimate the distance of a coyote in the dark, especially if you're hunting some place you've only hunted in the dark.  Traditional range finders don't work because you can't see where you're aiming.  My feeling is that this will allow me to range what I see in my thermal and feel much more comfortable with my shots.

Should be here this week!
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ffxhub:
I also got in on this deal, but think my usecase may be different than others.

My plan is to use this with my Thermal so that I can accurately range targets in the dark.  It's very hard to even estimate the distance of a coyote in the dark, especially if you're hunting some place you've only hunted in the dark.  Traditional range finders don't work because you can't see where you're aiming.  My feeling is that this will allow me to range what I see in my thermal and feel much more comfortable with my shots.

Should be here this week!
View Quote
As long as you can get it co-axed properly, it should work great.  How are you going to mount them together?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I think my plan is to setup the Radius on the left side rail.  Get it lined up with my Trijicon Accupower and then throw the clipon Apollo in front of the Accupower and I should be good to go.....at least that is my working theory.  I haven't seen a lot of folks using it like this so I'll be figuring it out as I go.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm gonna mount mine to my Bushnell Legend Tactical spotting scope.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:00:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#8]
Originally Posted By AggiePhil:
I'm gonna mount mine to my Bushnell Legend Tactical spotting scope.
View Quote
I had exactly the same thought...  spooky!    Haven't pulled the trigger on either so this would be a double tap if I do...  This forum keeps costing me $$$!  DOH!
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:43:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EdwardAvila] [#9]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:53:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#10]
Well, I got mine mounted up to my AIAT last night and did a very basic alignment at 100yds.

I really, really like it and I suck at judging range by eye

I got a return on a silo that was 857yds away at about 8:10PM last night with no problems.  I would have guessed it was over 1K yds away easily but when I checked it on Google Earth it showed that I would have been wrong LOL.

I wound up mounting it on the keyslot panel for now on the AT as I didn't want to change out my rings right now.  I also like it on the right side actually.  I placed the remote switch right where my trigger finger rests when not shooting and I can see the display without having to move my head at all.

Here she is in all of her 18lb 3oz of glory  The yellow cap is just to protect the crown when moving it around in the safe.

The only thing I am curious about is how tight I should make the clamp..did I miss that in the instructions?

Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I just leave it on auto and don't bother with the cable.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I may wind up doing that as well but for now I figured I'd save the batteries and avoid lasing everything I look at with the IR laser.

I also figured that I would save wear and tear on the buttons by not using them as much but that is probably a non-issue.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Ordered it before I saw the deal.  I had looked at them previously and liked the concept, and at that price I couldn't pass it up.

I got it yesterday.  I don't have my rifle set up to put it on yet, but it seems like a solid, well-conceived piece of equipment.  I agree with the battery flap though; it's a little difficult to get it closed properly.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I actually sent mine back as I wasn't impressed with the QD mounts ability to return to the original alignment after taking it off and putting it back on a few times.  I wish they would have just used cross bolts like a Spuhr mount or something.

Since I would need to remove it a lot it just wasn't going to work for me.  The rest of the unit was awesome though.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#15]
They updated the mount somehow. Pretty sure mine has one crossbolt.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AggiePhil:
They updated the mount somehow. Pretty sure mine has one crossbolt.
View Quote
Mine did too.  Basically, it worked like a bicycle skewer.  If it was more like an ADM mount where it had notches on the bolt head side it would have been fine for repeatability.  I decided to get a Kilo 2200MR and really like it so far.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:36:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Took mine out today could range up to the 675y berm consistently, couldn't hit 1000y even on scan due high mirage is my guess. I'll still keep my sig kilo handy for day shooting, expecting it will suit my intended purpose of night ranging with PVS clip on just fine though.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine came in.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice, keep us updated on how it works for you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice and good way to mount...makes a lot of sense. Guessing that is a bushnell legend under there?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:09:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Yep!
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#23]
One question, does the Radius have an inclinometer for angle compensated ranging?  (Like the HCD mode on the Vortex 1000)  
Most of my shooting is done in fairly hilly terrain from an elevated position.  Typically 400 yds and under, sometimes out to 600.  (5.56)  

For you guys that shoot extreme long range, how big a deal is it if a rangefinder doesn't have this feature?  What is your preference, actual or compensated?  

I guess the reason I'm asking is that the whole reason I want one is so I don't have to get off the scope.  
If I have to punch in numbers on a ballistics calculator, that sort of defeats the purpose for me.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:25:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#24]
Originally Posted By Repairman_Jack:
One question, does the Radius have an inclinometer for angle compensated ranging?  (Like the HCD mode on the Vortex 1000)  
Most of my shooting is done in fairly hilly terrain from an elevated position.  Typically 400 yds and under, sometimes out to 600.  (5.56)  

For you guys that shoot extreme long range, how big a deal is it if a rangefinder doesn't have this feature?  What is your preference, actual or compensated?  

I guess the reason I'm asking is that the whole reason I want one is so I don't have to get off the scope.  
If I have to punch in numbers on a ballistics calculator, that sort of defeats the purpose for me.  
View Quote
I don't know about the Radius, but yes look angle matters. How much depends on target size and angle.
If you are shooting Pdogs at 600yds with a 15° angle of fire without compensation for the angle you may have a miss by a few inches.

I have my doubts on how well this thing can range a small  furry target close to the ground accurately anyway (due to beam dispersion) . The ranging error will probably be worse than the angle of fire effect. 

Probably better off( or as well off) using a good hand held and laying out ranges based off landmarks in your area ahead of time.

Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
I don't know about the Radius, but yes look angle matters. How much depends on target size and angle.
If you are shooting Pdogs at 600yds with a 15° angle of fire without compensation for the angle you may have a miss by a few inches.

I have my doubts on how well this thing can range a small  furry target close to the ground accurately anyway (due to beam dispersion) . The ranging error will probably be worse than the angle of fire effect. 

Probably better off( or as well off) using a good hand held and laying out ranges based off landmarks in your area ahead of time.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/images/rifle-basics-2-big-001.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By popnfresh:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/images/rifle-basics-2-big-001.jpg

Thanks popnfresh, that's basically what I'm doing currently with my Vortex 1000.  It won't consistently range past 400 yds on small non-reflective targets (like prairie dogs) but the angle feature is nice. Anything inside that range, though, and it performs like a champ.  I end up ranging off nearby landmarks or mounds and making do.  
I've got a couple of spots for p-dogs.  One is a bowl with primarily downhill shooting, the other is a draw in a pasture with shots taken anywhere from a Flatline Ops full rolled up rear bag with the bipod bottomed out up to to a flat bag with 3" elevation on the bipod to pick em off the side of the hills.  I was somewhat surprised at how "short" some of the downhill readings would range back as.  
When I first started hunting these areas, I made up some crude hand-drawn sketches with yardage notes and terrain features, that helped a lot.  

Thanks for the range card pic, I'll have to print off a few to stick in the bag.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Thanks popnfresh, that's basically what I'm doing currently with my Vortex 1000.  It won't consistently range past 400 yds on small non-reflective targets (like prairie dogs) but the angle feature is nice. Anything inside that range, though, and it performs like a champ.  I end up ranging off nearby landmarks or mounds and making do.  
I've got a couple of spots for p-dogs.  One is a bowl with primarily downhill shooting, the other is a draw in a pasture with shots taken anywhere from a Flatline Ops full rolled up rear bag with the bipod bottomed out up to to a flat bag with 3" elevation on the bipod to pick em off the side of the hills.  I was somewhat surprised at how "short" some of the downhill readings would range back as.  
When I first started hunting these areas, I made up some crude hand-drawn sketches with yardage notes and terrain features, that helped a lot.  

Thanks for the range card pic, I'll have to print off a few to stick in the bag.  
View Quote
Sounds like you do need to upgrade your range finder.
Bryan Litz tests showed about the same performance you are getting from your Ranger1000, 400 meters, about 700m for the SiCo Radius, 900m for the Kilo2000....on non reflective targets.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#27]
So I have a SiCo Radius in route ($379) and cant find any info on use of rechargeable RCR123A batteries. When looking into the rechargeable 123a's I see that some are 3.7v, 3.2v and if you can find them 3.0v. Is anyone using rechargeable batteries in their radius? Note that most of them say 3.0v but that doesn't mean they are putting out 3.0v. I have read that some are over 4.0v. I don't want to zap this thing.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#28]
It's 8hrs of continuous use for a set of CR 123's.  I just use Titanium Innovations batteries. I pick them up on black Friday for about .80 each.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tpen-tcr123a-.html
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Lc17smp:
So I have a SiCo Radius in route ($379) and cant find any info on use of rechargeable RCR123A batteries. When looking into the rechargeable 123a's I see that some are 3.7v, 3.2v and if you can find them 3.0v. Is anyone using rechargeable batteries in their radius? Note that most of them say 3.0v but that doesn't mean they are putting out 3.0v. I have read that some are over 4.0v. I don't want to zap this thing.
View Quote
I thought I recalled reading in the manual that they said no to RCR123A's but I don't have mine anymore so I can't verify.

It isn't worth the risk to me though when you can buy US made CR123A's for $1.50 each in bulk.

I am blown away that they are closing the out for $399 as I thought I did well at $499.  I sent mine back as it didn't do what I wanted it to do but much lower and I will have to reconsider my position.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm tempted to buy a third just for a spotting scope.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:15:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Couple questions.
1.  These do NOT hold a good zero when removed and reattached, correct?  I have read this mentioned by more than a couple owners.

2.  What is the MINIMUM number of rail space needed to have the laser securely mounted?  One of my uppers has side rails that are 2.5" long and have three rail slots, will that be enough to hold it or not?  The top rail will be occupied by a clip-on thermal, so it won't be available for the radius if I buy one.  I would want this mostly for ranging at night.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
SilencerCo Radius (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top