Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2016 3:15:22 PM EDT
I am looking for an optic for my dream build precision AR build in 223.  Most likely will not be used anywere other than the range.  I'll primarily be shooting paper for groups and accuracy.  The Golden Eagle is 15-60 and the Benchrest is 12-42.  Which one would have the better glass, as Magnification is important to me, but I want the better glass as well.  Are there any other reasons why one would suggest one over the other?  Does anyone have experience with both?

Thanks for the opinions and recommendations.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 3:33:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: azmp5] [#1]
Of the 2 I'd go with the night force.  Have Have you looked into the sight on sIII series? I have the 10-50x60 on my 308 BR and love it
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both scopes . My nightforce is 15 years old and has been used all its life on a match rifle, and I've had no issues with it.  I got a golden eagle about 3-4 weeks ago for another rifle and so far it seems like a good scope but I've only used it two times so far.  The turrets are simular to nightforce NXS turrets, larger than the BR model, and the clicks feel about the same. On 60x it would focus nice and clear and showed good image detail, also it has tracked well what little bit I've used it, I didn't do any box testing but have read where other guys have and it done good.  One thing I did notice the first time out shooting a blue score target, the score rings looked black,  The next time I used it I took my nightforce BR and sat it on top of my golden eagle to compare on the same target and my nightforce showed the color blue better, but the golden eagle was just as clear both set on 42x.  Blue seems to be the only color it has trouble with.  I do like the side focus on the vortex vs the front on the NF BR model.  I'm not at all disappointed in buying it so far, it was $850 less than the NF competion 15-55 I was about to get.   All said, Its hard to beat a nightforce, but I was willing to risk it for more power and side focus. its a hard choice between the two.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rlb40x:
I have both scopes . My nightforce is 15 years old and has been used all its life on a match rifle, and I've had no issues with it.  I got a golden eagle about 3-4 weeks ago for another rifle and so far it seems like a good scope but I've only used it two times so far.  The turrets are simular to nightforce NXS turrets, larger than the BR model, and the clicks feel about the same. On 60x it would focus nice and clear and showed good image detail, also it has tracked well what little bit I've used it, I didn't do any box testing but have read where other guys have and it done good.  One thing I did notice the first time out shooting a blue score target, the score rings looked black,  The next time I used it I took my nightforce BR and sat it on top of my golden eagle to compare on the same target and my nightforce showed the color blue better, but the golden eagle was just as clear both set on 42x.  Blue seems to be the only color it has trouble with.  I do like the side focus on the vortex vs the front on the NF BR model.  I'm not at all disappointed in buying it so far, it was $850 less than the NF competion 15-55 I was about to get.   All said, Its hard to beat a nightforce, but I was willing to risk it for more power and side focus. its a hard choice between the two.
View Quote

Thank you for the info.  Good stuff.  Unfortunately, you didn't make my decision any easier.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Jlgil73:

Thank you for the info.  Good stuff.  Unfortunately, you didn't make my decision any easier.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jlgil73:
Originally Posted By Rlb40x:

I know man. It's a tough call spending that much.  If you don't already have any other higher end scopes, go with the nightforce. you can't go wrong with them plus they hold their resale value better. and it's what a lot of other scopes are compared to. I have 3 NF and they are great.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Delivered Yesterday!  

Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#7]
So it's been over a year.... What do you think?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Fatelvis:

So it's been over a year.... What do you think?
View Quote
This might help @Jlgil73
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Sightron SIII with your choice of reticles.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:

This might help @Jlgil73
View Quote
I'm sorry, I'm not computer saavy. Lol
Is that a link to something?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:

This might help @Jlgil73
It's a way to notify jligil73 of this thread again.  It is called a "mention."  I've never heard of the Goldwn Eagle scope, very interested.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got a Golden Eagle, and while I am still sorting out the mounting, I think it might be the clearest scope I have ever looked through.  60x on this is just as clear as 60x on my spotting scope to my eyes...
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#13]
You are looking at the older NF Benchrest scope?

What about the Competition 15-55x52?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top