Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2014 10:21:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut]
Hi, guys. Need your help finding a scope for my father-in-law for his Remington 700 in .300 Win Mag. He's using it for elk hunting in the mountains in Colorado this winter and wants something with some type of BDC. I'd prefer turrets like the Vortex Razor HD I've got. He's got a Nikon on one of his AR-15s with a BDC reticle and I'm not really sold on it. Of course, he already has a good laser rangefinder. Not nearly as important, but the rifle is satin stainless and wouldn't mind keeping the scope the same appearance. Thanks in advance. I haven't had much luck finding anything online.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of range is he comfortable shooting?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't comment on his comfort zone. I know he shoots 200-300 here. He was told to plan on a shot in the mountains to be 200 minimum to 350.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#3]
The old Bushnell Scope Chiefs with BDC were pretty darned good....and SIMPLE.
Now and then you'll find them on ebay for sale.The IV,V and VI were just very good scopes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe my son-in-law used a burris BDC on his .300.  He ended up getting rid of it because the reticle was too busy.  You don't always have much time, especially if you happen to get in timber country - the simpler the reticle the better.

With the .300 to those ranges sight the thing it about 3" high at 100.  It will max out at bout 3.5" high somewhere around 150 IIRC, and be about 3.5" low at around 300 - 350.  So basically out to 350 yards put the crosshairs in the middle of the rib cage and you have a dead elk.  Kill zone is more than that 7" arc described by the bullet trajectory.

My 0.02
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Weaver makes some Grand Slams with good glass and a simple bdc reticle.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Leupold FXIII 6x42 with the LR Duplex Reticle.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Theres a BDC turret for Luepold MK4 scopes calibrated for 300wm. How close that would be to his particular load I dont know. You can also get custom turret labels printed to match whatever load your fil is using.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Several of the elk hunters I know swear by the Sheppard BDCs.  Must be pretty simple to use because those guy are not "ballisticians", if you know what I mean.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top