User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LaRue_Tactical:

awmp,

I tossed this note in a couple threads today ...

Comparing our last year's rifle sales through 4/15, 2014 to the same period this year - rifle sales are near double.  Might be that now that we're caught up folks are more willing to take the leap, or it might be that those thousands of rifles delivered last year are getting seen by the neighbors, dunno.

Either way, we're cruising along, barrel shop is clicking, MBT trigger shop is clicking, and we're getting things settled on some new calibers.

ML

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LaRue_Tactical:
Originally Posted By awmp:
Dang !  After shooting with sea2summit (which by the way is a very good shot and knows his stuff) I find myself wanting and saving for a LaRue.

Well should I say saving for a LaRue PredatOBR in 7.62, the only reason saving for the 7.62 is a I bought a LaRue PredatOBR in 5.56 last night!

Got home after shooting and my wife said how was it, I started talking and she said oh no, here we go again! LOL. Yeap, hold on baby!

Originally Posted By sea2summit:
Originally Posted By mezzkat:
Originally Posted By sea2summit:
You guys can stop now. OP is going to get his hands on a tOBR this weekend...but I am bringing a crowbar to get it out so after that it's all on Mark.

You are a wise man.  So how hard did you have to pry on that bar to get your rifle back?  And is the smile still on OP's face?  

I had to distract him with an OBR to get him to let go.  Said something about wife and trouble and needing a place to sleep tonight if I remember correctly

awmp,

I tossed this note in a couple threads today ...

Comparing our last year's rifle sales through 4/15, 2014 to the same period this year - rifle sales are near double.  Might be that now that we're caught up folks are more willing to take the leap, or it might be that those thousands of rifles delivered last year are getting seen by the neighbors, dunno.

Either way, we're cruising along, barrel shop is clicking, MBT trigger shop is clicking, and we're getting things settled on some new calibers.

ML

"New calibers".... that makes me happy!  

I don't know how popular  tOBR barrel would be in .22lr, but I'd love it.
Congrats to OP and cheers to Summit for taking him out!

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 9:57:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: imartez] [#2]
Originally Posted By CaribouLou45:
Just a quick pull from the KAC forum (not mine):

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/45Thoughts/KACAPC_Target1_zps133d2c5c.jpg

While you don't see targets posted as much on the KAC forum as Larue, there are fewer people on the KAC forum given the higher price. When you do see them posted, they look like the above. Hopeful mine will be no exception. Currently setting up the glass on it.
View Quote

OP, this is my target that I posted on the KAC forum. The SR-25 APC is the model I have and what was used for this target. I also have a LaRue Tactical PredatOBR 7.62 w/ 14.5" barrel, so I do have experience with both rifles.

As far as accuracy goes, they are equally accurate and are both sub-moa rifles. So, as a comparison, here goes.

Fit and Finish: LaRue - They use billet receivers, their machine work is 2nd to none and it's all hand fitted (I believe). The SR-25 has a very nice fit, but the machine work on the LaRue is really that good
Accuracy: Tied - My experience has been excellent with both rifles. I have achieved sub-moa groups with both rifles
Reliability: Tied - I have had no issues with either rifle. Every time I have loaded them up and fired, they both operated without any issues
Usability: SR-25 - The lower is ambidextrous, comes with iron sights, gas system makes the rifle have less felt recoil

The one thing I can say that KAC wins on hands down is muzzle device for the SR-25. The 7.62 MAMS muzzle brake is amazing. It makes an already soft shooting .308 even softer and keeps it very flat.

The one thing I can say that LaRue wins on hands down is the price. The PredatOBR starts at $3370, the SR-25 APC costs around $4650, HUGE difference there. You could literally buy the tOBR and very good glass for the same price as the APC
Oh, APC + MAMS ($395), you're at $5045.....Yeah, that should give you some perspective.

OP, ultimately it comes down to you. Whatever you choose, you really can't go wrong, they are both great rifles. I'm fortunate enough to have both, so I don't have to choose.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 2:56:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AEROMechanic] [#3]
Originally Posted By imartez:

OP, this is my target that I posted on the KAC forum. The SR-25 APC is the model I have and what was used for this target. I also have a LaRue Tactical PredatOBR 7.62 w/ 14.5" barrel, so I do have experience with both rifles.

As far as accuracy goes, they are equally accurate and are both sub-moa rifles. So, as a comparison, here goes.

Fit and Finish: LaRue - They use billet receivers, their machine work is 2nd to none and it's all hand fitted (I believe). The SR-25 has a very nice fit, but the machine work on the LaRue is really that good
Accuracy: Tied - My experience has been excellent with both rifles. I have achieved sub-moa groups with both rifles
Reliability: Tied - I have had no issues with either rifle. Every time I have loaded them up and fired, they both operated without any issues
Usability: SR-25 - The lower is ambidextrous, comes with iron sights, gas system makes the rifle have less felt recoil

The one thing I can say that KAC wins on hands down is muzzle device for the SR-25. The 7.62 MAMS muzzle brake is amazing. It makes an already soft shooting .308 even softer and keeps it very flat.

https://youtu.be/Y-5R-mUg5z4

The one thing I can say that LaRue wins on hands down is the price. The PredatOBR starts at $3370, the SR-25 APC costs around $4650, HUGE difference there. You could literally buy the tOBR and very good glass for the same price as the APC
Oh, APC + MAMS ($395), you're at $5045.....Yeah, that should give you some perspective.

OP, ultimately it comes down to you. Whatever you choose, you really can't go wrong, they are both great rifles. I'm fortunate enough to have both, so I don't have to choose.

View All Quotes

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/45Thoughts/KACAPC_Target1_zps133d2c5c.jpg

While you don't see targets posted as much on the KAC forum as Larue, there are fewer people on the KAC forum given the higher price. When you do see them posted, they look like the above. Hopeful mine will be no exception. Currently setting up the glass on it.

Hmmm, what about a MAMS on a tOBR?

ETA: I noticed the rifle in the vid you posted is an ECC, do they have the same gas system as the APC?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:03:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: imartez] [#4]
Originally Posted By AEROMechanic:

ETA: I noticed the rifle in the vid you posted is an ECC, do they have the same gas system as the APC?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AEROMechanic:

I believe it is the same length, but it's also improved. Here's a link to the MOD2 gas system, same gas system in the 7.62 rifles as well.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_381/248067_Mod2_Gas_System.html
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats what I did, I got a LMT and later after I saved got a SR-25.

Larue was a choice, just couldnt wait.

Free

Originally Posted By AWDeity:

tOBR is what I want.

LMT MWS is what I can afford.

ramen noodles every day gets old.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:29:43 AM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

I also own a Larue 18" .308 OBR as well as a SR25 ECC and pretty much mimic imartez's sentiments with just a little variation.

One, my OBR with a SF Brake shoots just as soft and even softer when it's on the suppressed setting with no can on the end and my SR25 has a MAMS installed. The only issue I personally have running it that way is that I'm a lefty and sometimes get hit with brass since it's not getting all the gas to cycle correctly. It will still extract and pick up the next round but, won't lock back on an empty mag. Not the rifles fault though cause that's not how it is supposed to be ran.  

Accuracy wise, I'd give the slight nod to Larue out of my samples with me shooting. I have an older OBR with a Lothar barrel and my ECC started life as an EMC and I'm pretty surprised just how accurate it is for a CL barrel.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Ruger is a very reliable, very accurate rig if you treat it right. Like just about all AR platforms...the trigger sucks, and the stock leaves some room for improvement...but mine shoots MOA if I do my part...Highly reccommend.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Just to be clear, is that MOA all day?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:09:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dsparil] [#10]
Larue OBR 16" package for sale on the EE right now. ready to go. Hate to sell it but if you want a Larue this is your best bet for one ASAP. BTW how is that Burris working out for you? I've heard mixed things about the Burris XTR II line.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#11]
JP PSC-12
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:39:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Just based on ones that I personally have handled or shot, I say JP, GAP, and KAC. Pretty much in that order.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 6:34:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: animportant] [#13]
Mark if you don't start making 6.5 grendel barrels and bolts for my tobr, I will have to join the other Larue trolls

Back to the 7.62 tobr discussion, I'd be interested to know if 6.5 CM is a potential barrel in the future. .260 will be great but if non-reloaders knew 6.5 CM production is on the horizon, I find it hard to argue against the tobr platform. That's my opinion though.

Lastly, I think for an overall product, rifles made by GAP and SID and others seem great, but at the end of the day, you have to give credit to guys making, um... The entire product.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:07:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By animportant:
Mark if you don't start making 6.5 grendel barrels and bolts for my tobr, I will have to join the other Larue trolls

Back to the 7.62 tobr discussion, I'd be interested to know if 6.5 CM is a potential barrel in the future. .260 will be great but if non-reloaders knew 6.5 CM production is on the horizon, I find it hard to argue against the tobr platform. That's my opinion though.

Lastly, I think for an overall product, rifles made by GAP and SID and others seem great, but at the end of the day, you have to give credit to guys making, um... The entire product.
View Quote

There's an LRP-07 in EE right now for the price of a MWS, and I know JP has the 6.5CM uppers out now...

Money
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I really want a Larue but I think the OBR is butt ugly. Might grab a tOBR instead just for that reason.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#16]

There's an LRP-07 in EE right now for the price of a MWS, and I know JP has the 6.5CM uppers out now...

Money
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By animportant:

Money

I know, there has been some smoking deals on LRP's between arf and the hide.  I own one but am desiring a second.  I just bought another PWS (Mk216), and I'm interested to shoot it.  I love PWS's rifles for all around bad assery.  I'll get around to running my PWS's for accuracy but now they all have dots and irons...just need to recycle a few more cans for more optics.

I'd like to give an OBR a try, I've only fondled one.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:36:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4A1] [#17]
I have the LMT MWS, I like it a lot.  It's probably not as accurate as a Larue OBR.
I like the fact the Larue is on the forums here with us, I wish LMT was on the forums and would chime in when their products are mentioned.
My MWS does have a Larue optic mount though
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Old topic, but getting the itch to get a .308 semi auto rifle.

I have a tavor x95 and really like it and was thinking about the Tavor 7?

Other AR type .308s worth taking a look?

Your experience?

Pics?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:09:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Based on this forum, I searched for every model mentioned. I found a "like new" FDE LMT MWS (LM8/slick side) near me for 2k even and grabbed it. I recall seeing Laure recently for under 2k used. Check out Armslist man, all the rifles mentioned here are outstanding, Id look for a killer deal.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top