Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2017 10:55:34 PM EDT
How is the G2 platform as a base to build a precision rifle?   Seems like a good barrel swap and trigger group should be more than half way there.

What say you all?
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#1]
There's a company that does them.

Rainier Arms has barrels for them now, including 6.5 Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 7:55:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rickesis] [#2]
Bartlein barrels are available.

Here
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 4:19:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, will check them out.  How do you feel about the rest of the platform?
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:03:54 AM EDT
[#4]
They don’t like Pmags so they are a no go for me.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:54:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Operator_As_Fk:
They don’t like Pmags so they are a no go for me.
View Quote
Was gonna mention the mags and making sure that your round of choice fits in a mag that works.  I love my g2 recon.  Got mine a few years ago when they first hit the market.  

I don't know if the play thing still exists or if it's been resolved.  I use the IMI mags from AIM.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 7:19:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Odd, the first gen DPMS works great with P-Mags.   In fact that was a big selling point for many buyers.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 7:56:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Modifying the PMAGs to better engage the bolt stop takes about 5 minutes if you aren't in any hurry.

My only gripe is the big sloppy firing pin hole in the bolt means primers crater badly withbeven moderate pressures.   It would awesome if someone came out with a better bolt and small firing pin like the high pressure bolts for the gen 1.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I would like to see a billet Small Frame builder's set with nice contoured handguard lock-up, ambidextrous controls, and handguard length options.

Small FP aperture

Adjustable carrier
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 12:04:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Get a rainier barrel, geissle trigger, free float handguard, rifle or A5 buffer system, adjustable gas block, and yer GTG.  Put it together well.  Like every other AR, accessorize to taste.  The only real thing it lacks is a quality ambidextrous charging handle.

Originally Posted By ErikS:
Odd, the first gen DPMS works great with P-Mags.   In fact that was a big selling point for many buyers.
View Quote
The DPMS GII was designed at the same time as the Magpul M3 mags, and Magpul wasnt making the specs available to manufacturers, so DPMS designed the GII with no knowledge of the tolerances required to run M3s.  The problem is, Magpul followers sit slightly lower because of the thicker feed lips required for polymer vs metal, and thats just low enough that in SOME DPMS GIIs the tolerance stacking causes only partial connect with the bolt stop.

It wasnt a problem for MY GII but I modded the mags anyway.  As mentioned, takes less than 5 minutes when you dont know what you are doing.  Appx 90 seconds when you have done a few.

Other option is, just get Lancers or metal mags.  IMO the only reason to get PMAGs is the 25 rounders anyway.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 12:06:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
I would like to see a billet Small Frame builder's set with nice contoured handguard lock-up, ambidextrous controls, and handguard length options.

Small FP aperture

Adjustable carrier
View Quote
Why do you want a billet set when the forged is stronger and has most of the features seen in most Billet sets?  Id rather see them just release their forged sets.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 5:29:11 AM EDT
[#11]
sowinskian:

Lancer makes 25 rounders now too. They've run flawlessly in my rifles so far.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 2:45:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slapdaddy] [#12]
Have not fired mine yet, but that cavernous firing pin hole has me worried too.  Anyone know if there is enough meat in the bolt to have the firing pin hole bushed?  I've had this done to a few LA Remingtons, with great result.  Greg Tannell Rifles did the work, top notch by the way.

I've seen prints for G2 bolts and there isn't a lot there behind the bolt face.  Plus the dual ejectors are nearby.  I have doubts bushing will be an option,  but I hope I'm wrong and someone points out that it's routine and done all the time.

Or better still, come this weekend I'll run handloads through mine and discover it is a non-issue for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top