Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2017 9:33:44 PM EDT
HI ALL...Have been saving up the pennies and am just about ready to acquire the LWRC CSASS TALO SNIPER GRAY  (308/7.62NATO)...OK..who has one..?? How do you like it...?? Does it live up to its MOA Guaranty..???
What say ye learned gentlemen..??? I have a LWRC 6.8 upper 12" 6.8SPC that I have hunted  with the past 2 seasons and it is dead nuts accurate and deadly on these somewhat little texas whitetails out to 150 yds with
Barnes 95gr ttsx and RE 10x.....and my surefire socom 762 rc suppressor.....which is also used on other weapons too....
Thanks to all...
Pete
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#1]
OP - I don't own the rifle in question but just thinking about your questions.  "Does the rifle live up to it's MOA guarantee?"  Hopefully it does.  If it does not, it's a guarantee, send it back.

From what I know of this particular model, it is a limited edition run (LWRC seems to like the limited edition AR deal, I remember the Leonidas deal some time ago).  Anyhow, I think if you're buying this rifle, it is because you want a piece of the limited edition.  If you don't care about that, but you do care about accuracy, there's way more fish in the sea than that LWRC.

At the end of the day, it's going to be a very nice rifle. If you want a 7.62-based rifle that is piston driven, has a slick color about it and a swirly barrel, grab it.  

Just make sure to give us a rundown once you do.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I hear ya FALex...OK..so which one is "better" than that LWRC...????
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not an expert nor do I have direct hands On experience. But I've done a lot of research recently. It seems a lot of people that buy the LWRC REPR end up unhappy with it and wish they would have gone with Larue or GAPrecision.

I can't recall exactly what their complaints are but there were complaints.

Again I have no direct experience. But I had decided that if I decided to buy with a budget around $3k/rifle it would like be the Larue offerings. (Not a Larue fanboy either, I own one MBT and that's the extent of my Larue stuff)
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#4]
THANKS LUNYOU....Had the LARUE 308 fixed stock....what a DOG...would not run right....stovepipes and fail to feed and fail to eject....they NEVER got it right and told me to sell it if I was not satisfied.....

Pete
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sargeny1:
THANKS LUNYOU....Had the LARUE 308 fixed stock....what a DOG...would not run right....stovepipes and fail to feed and fail to eject....they NEVER got it right and told me to sell it if I was not satisfied.....

Pete
View Quote
Good to know.  It's hard to find unbiased opinions on everything.  I have trouble believing magainze reviews, online reviews, and youtube reviews.  It's hard to figure out who's paying who.  

I was looking at a CSASS style rifle for my department to fill what I perceive is a need.  The REPR, OBR, and a couple others kept coming to the top of the heap.  I found less complaints about Larue than the REPR overall.  I couldn't find much useful info from LMT.  GAPrecision seems to be pretty popular in the precision AR world as well.  

I think every maker will have a lemon and everyone will have the holy grail style rifle which is just perfect based on factors you can't recreate every milling.  

I would say at the price point of the Larue, LWRC, GAPrecision it'll be hard to go wrong.  Proper research will help make an informed decision and temper expectations to what you are getting.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a REPR and an SR25.

If i could go back in time, I would have gone LMT, LaRue, or Armalite, and SR25

The last time anything about accuracy was posted in the CSASS thread, LWRCi did not explicitly guarantee sub moa accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#7]
HEY Y'ALL...Thanks for all your help...well..I am going to leave well enough alone..I have a Ruger SR762 that does really shoot just fine...just under 1 MOA at 100yds....with my hunting handload
of the new starline brass .308.. CCI BR 2 primer.. 43 gr Varget... 165 Nosler Partition at 2.770" OAL....scope is a Leopold VX6 3x18x50 in  an American Defense quick detach mount...also set its  adjustlable
gas block on #1 setting for my Surefire Socom RC 2 Suppressor....
This is what happens when you have toooooo much time in retirement...always looking for something new and better..???!!!!
Pete
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:04:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Add JPs LRP07 to the mix as well.  Post up if you get the Lwrc though.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#9]
HEY Y'ALL...Thanks for all your help...well..I am going to leave well enough alone..I have a Ruger SR762 that does really shoot just fine...just under 1 MOA at 100yds....with my hunting handload
of the new starline brass .308.. CCI BR 2 primer.. 43 gr Varget... 165 Nosler Partition at 2.770" OAL....scope is a Leopold VX6 3x18x50 in  an American Defense quick detach mount...also set its  adjustlable
gas block on #1 setting for my Surefire Socom RC 2 Suppressor....
This is what happens when you have toooooo much time in retirement...always looking for something new and better..???!!!!
Pete
View Quote
OP suffered "analysis paralysis."  Don't worry, OP, I'm well versed in this condition. There's only one remedy, and you know what it is.

To answer your other question above about "which is better than the LWRC?"  I cannot answer that, sir.  If you can tell us what the intended purpose of your rifle is, some of us can lead you.  If you're wanting as precision 7.62-based AR, LWRC is not your answer.  They are a great rifle, but there are semi's that produce far better accuracy than what LWRC's are known to do.  If you're desiring a rifle that produces decent accuracy, has a good balance and feel to it, and can run through Armageddon, I believe an LWRC would be your ticket.

Coming to mind: JP, GAP, Spartan Precision, Compass Lake, LaRue.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#10]
HEY FALex....Thanks for your reply and help...OK...did ya see my answer to one of the posts..?? I HAD a LaRue....never ran right...stove pipes..fail to fed...fail to eject....they NEVER got it to run right...told me to sell it if I was not satisfied....AND my neighbor and hunt partner's boyhood friend also had a Larue...SAME problem and same answer.....
What is the remedy and I am not sure I know what it is...???
What do i want it for..? Whatever one can hunt with a .308 Win.....distances out to MAYBE 300yds tops....I like to keep shots inside of 200yds.....I am not trying to brag or show off...I have high end hunting rifles...Bolt actions from Ed Brown....Hill Country Rifles....Blaser R8.....I want an AR comparable to those.......
FALex...thanks again for your help..
Pete
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#11]
HEY FALex....Thanks for your reply and help...OK...did ya see my answer to one of the posts..?? I HAD a LaRue....never ran right...stove pipes..fail to fed...fail to eject....they NEVER got it to run right...told me to sell it if I was not satisfied....AND my neighbor and hunt partner's boyhood friend also had a Larue...SAME problem and same answer.....
What do i want it for..? Whatever one can hunt with a .308 Win.....distances out to MAYBE 300yds tops....I like to keep shots inside of 200yds.....I am not trying to brag or show off...I have high end hunting rifles...Bolt actions from Ed Brown....Hill Country Rifles....Blaser R8.....I want an AR comparable to those.......
Pete
View Quote
I'd go JP or Gap based off this reply.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey Bill3508...Thanks for that reply...looks like I'll have to go and have one built....am seriously looking at GA Precision....
Thanks Again..
Pete
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Pete
View Quote
Honestly in seeing this reply for your wants I'd save a lot of money and go with something less than top tier.

Aero Precision, CMMG, Stag, or the high end DPMS.

All of the above will produce accuracy results that'll due for hunting out to 300 yards. You can get into those, be able to add a good mount and optic for less than the base gun for any of the tier one .308s.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I get great results out of my armalite ar10a4b 20" 

Sub 0.7 moa w/ 165gr bthp. (Maybe better but that's about my ability limit as a shooter)

As far as reliability, it runs very very well with 762x51, but gets an occational stove pipe (once every few hundred rds) with 308 fed match ammo, prolly solvable with an adjustable gas block but I hevent gotten around to that yet.

Most burdan runs reliable as well, only brand it doesn't like is s&b blue box surplus, very hard berdan primers causes light strikes.

I have never had any feeding issue with b series gen2 mags.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a gen 1 REPR and sold it.  2" groups.  Just shot a CSASS and it was 1.5 to 2" groups at 100y with 175g SMK GMM.  Have a SR25 that shoots 2" groups.  I would recommend looking at Seeins Precision SP10.  I have the 18" barrel and it shoots just as good as my buddies POF style GAP 10. It regularly shoots 1" groups with the occasional 1.5".  If you have the money get the GAP 10. If you want almost the same accuracy for 2/3rd the price look at the Seekins.  All groups were obtained with Federal 175g GMM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top