Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2017 4:38:35 PM EDT
Hey guys sorry to beat a dead horse but I'm building a precision 223 ar.
Shots will be taken out to 1k
I want something that mimics my bolt guns or as close to it as I can (timney 510 2lb)
Was thinking about the hiperfire 24c or perhaps the jard 1.5lb single stage.
Open to suggestions tho.
I do think I want to keep it a single stage tho.
I was using a timney 4lb today and it just wasn't cutting it too much pull for a precision gun.
Would like to be around the 200$ mark.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to larue and pick up and mbt for 99 bucks theyre on sale right now! Go now!
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
I am not sure I would want a 1.5 pound AR trigger. There is a lot more going on in a semi auto than a bolt gun. You don;t only have the recoil back but then the bolt carrier moving forward and a lot more fouling getting in there. This is why you don't see many below 2 pounds and most in the 3-4 pound region.

I run an AR Gold trigger that is about a 3.5 pounds from the factory but it is adjustable. I left it at 3.5 and it breaks super clean and has a very short reset. Great for fast doubles. It's a little more than you were looking to spend but if you wanted to stay in your price range the Hiperfire would be my choice. Have tried them out and they are very nice.
View Quote
Cool. Thanks Rob I will.get the hiperfire.
You can disregard my email. Considering you answered my question here.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#4]
This if you want precision.

Geissele Hi-Speed National Match Rifle Trigger

On sale this weekend for $219.00

http://palmettostatearmory.com/geissele-hi-speed-national-match-match-rifle-trigger-05-127.html
HSNM
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The MBT is a no brainer right now
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mrrick:
The MBT is a no brainer right now
View Quote
Yep.  Great trigger.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:26:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cb4017] [#7]
I got the email that LaRue is having their MBT Trigger $99 sale right now.  Not seeing it on the website yet though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By cb4017:
I got the email that LaRue is having there MBT Trigger $99 sale right now.  Not seeing on the website yet though.
View Quote
They sold out by mid afternoon yesterday.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_219/282954_MBT-Sale---Got-Me-Again-Mark-.html
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:44:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Get a Geissele SDC. I love flat bow triggers. And its single stage too.......after you pull thru the first stage.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:05:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got a Velocity 3lb that's pretty good.  It does have a bit of creep before the break.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:30:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spartacus2002] [#11]
I have an SSA-E and the two stages and the 2nd-stage break are nice, but the reset is slow and kinda weak compared to the M1A trigger I'm used to.  I don't think I'll get another one.

Can anyone recommend a trigger just like the SSA-E but with stronger reset?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mrindecisive:
Go to larue and pick up and mbt for 99 bucks theyre on sale right now! Go now!
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#13]
If you are looking for a single stage, maybe take a look at this one.  I just ordered one to see what it is all about.  

JMT Saber
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:53:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#14]
I've been running the SSA-E's in all of my precision builds until I put together a creedmoor build last week. I decided to try the Geissele Hi-speed NM. There is a huge difference between it and the SSA-E's. I probably should have added more resistance to the first stage, but it is very smooth and I only spent about 20 minutes with adjustments. The final stage is very similar to my Timney Calvin elites in my bolt guns.

I liked it enough to grab 2 more and 2 of the hi-speed DMR's after the first range outing. The DMR's are probably better for supported positions since they can be set heavier, at least that was my thought process prior to ordering.

Timney also just released their AR Calvin Elite 1.5lb single stage trigger. Definitely worth looking at if you crave a light single stage setup.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Any reason you want to keep it a single stage vs a 2-stage? Sounds like it's just what you're accustomed to. Curious because I'm considering a trigger change and would like to know where your heads is at.  I currently have a standard PSA single stage and I'm considering going to 2-stage. Maybe I'm overlooking a much nicer single stage as an alternative?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I love my jard in my precision ar. It's the lightest single stage I've found. I don't like ghe 2 stage travel. I like the adjustments I can have with the jard.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I am not sure I would want a 1.5 pound AR trigger. There is a lot more going on in a semi auto than a bolt gun. You don;t only have the recoil back but then the bolt carrier moving forward and a lot more fouling getting in there. This is why you don't see many below 2 pounds and most in the 3-4 pound region.

I run an AR Gold trigger that is about a 3.5 pounds from the factory but it is adjustable. I left it at 3.5 and it breaks super clean and has a very short reset. Great for fast doubles. It's a little more than you were looking to spend but if you wanted to stay in your price range the Hiperfire would be my choice. Have tried them out and they are very nice.
View Quote
The 1.5lb jard is safe due to the redesign of the sear location. You have enough engagement to be safe. If you got a mil spec trigger down to 1.5 lb it would have so little engagement or such a light spring that I wouldn't trust it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I own several Geissele, Larue, and CMC triggers. The Larue MBT is the best 2-stage for the money IMO. Almost as crisp as SSA-E, but closer in weight to SSA.

However, I've really been liking my CMC 3.5 single stage. Mine actually breaks closer to 3# even. Very crisp and a great option for single stage if that's what you are looking for. I wouldn't want a precision AR trigger under 3 lbs I don't think.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#20]
I use a 3 lb Tinmey on my 308 and it works out very good for me
I go from a 2.5 on a bolt gun to the 3 lb semi biggest difference
is how you control the trigger with your firinghand

TS2
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Geiselle SSA-E.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:02:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Wasn't just talking about the sear but the total movement of the system. Finger doesn't take much force to set off 1.5 pounds and as I said with more going on in a semi it's just not worth it to me to chance. With a bolt gun it's one round and then you have to work the bolt to get another round. A semi has that next round in there before you work through the follow through of the shot.

If you are happy with a 1.5 then that is great but it's not for me.
View Quote
He was asking about a trigger for a precision 223, not a 50bmg. He's probably 90% going to be shooting it supported bag, bipod, rest, or at least a sling. 223 has very little recoil.  A jard 1.5lb is drop safe when adjusted correctly. I tested mine (with optic off). Unless you pull the trigger It's not going off. Why do so many people think of a trigger being too light at 1 or 1.5 lbs.

The heavier the trigger is, the more likely you are to induce unwanted movement into the rifle as you break the shot.

If you have excellent trigger control, the trigger won't matter. Some people can shoot a military trigger great. Look at camp perry! If you take an average target shooter and give them a better trigger though, their groups will shrink. If you want to work on trigger control, shoot a ruger lcp. 10oz gun with a 6lb trigger  You will see that if your squeeze isn't straight and consistent you group goes to hell.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:56:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nyle_AR15] [#23]
I have several Timney 3lb single stages, couple BRO 3.5lb, G2S, SSA-E, and recently bought the G national match for $180 a couple weeks ago when Primary Arms were blowing them out. After setting the sear engagement and 2nd stage to about 8oz, damn. All other triggers feel like mil-spec seriously
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 1:10:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GONIF] [#25]
ELF , try one and you'll buy one . I got mine for $199.99 ,best money I have spent on an AR trigger.
View Quote
http://graniteridgeoutfitters.com/ELF-Match-Trigger-AR15-Curved-or-Straight-2-3-4lbs-4lbs-ELF-Match.htm
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I run JP Precision triggers in both my precision rifle and my go to rifle. Love those triggers. Well worth the money at $120. Almost too cheap really.

JP Fire Control
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:10:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m6z] [#27]
Anyone try the Battle Arms Development Triggertech trigger?

User Adjustable Trigger Pull from ~2 to 5 lbs with click feedback indications. Other features include: Frictionless Release Technology (FRT)™ Zero Creep, Short Two Stage Action, designed to feel like a 1911 trigger

Battle Arms Development BAD-TT-15 Trigger

I've currently got a Larue and a Velocity 3lb.  Always looking for something new it seems.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#28]

It doesn't matter if it's a .223 or a .50. A semi with a very light trigger is not something that I would recommend. Bolt guns are different.

There is a point where a heavier trigger will do that but it's usually not going to be in the weights listed in a semi. Especially with a two stage trigger.
View Quote
I have a JARD 1.5lb, it's EASY to double - especially if you adjust the sear engagement down.  I wouldn't recommend it for a precision build.  The Geissele High Speed Match is a better option.  I've got several of them set just over 2lb. Only need .5lb on the second stage.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By m6z:
Anyone try the Battle Arms Development Triggertech trigger?

User Adjustable Trigger Pull from ~2 to 5 lbs with click feedback indications. Other features include: Frictionless Release Technology (FRT)™ Zero Creep, Short Two Stage Action, designed to feel like a 1911 trigger

Battle Arms Development BAD-TT-15 Trigger

I've currently got a Larue and a Velocity 3lb.  Always looking for something new it seems.
View Quote
I would like to try one.  .030 reset is half of a SD3G.  They need to integrate a trigger block like the fostech triggers so they can't be tripped too fast...
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:24:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m6z] [#30]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

I would like to try one.  .030 reset is half of a SD3G.  They need to integrate a trigger block like the fostech triggers so they can't be tripped too fast...
View Quote
Huh, The reset is rather short on the SD3G.  I forgot to mention, but I've got one of those too..

Is this geared more towards the SD3G (fast) or precision?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By m6z:

Huh, The reset is rather short on the SD3G.  I forgot to mention, but I've got one of those too..

Is this geared more towards the SD3G (fast) or precision?
View Quote
Anything with a reset that short is geared toward fast.  I wouldn't want to go under .08 reset for anything geared towards precision.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:44:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#32]
Originally Posted By spartacus2002:
I have an SSA-E and the two stages and the 2nd-stage break are nice, but the reset is slow and kinda weak compared to the M1A trigger I'm used to.  I don't think I'll get another one.

View Quote
Something very wrong with your trigger then. I'd pull it and put in a different lower. If that does not shake out, ask for a new one. Reset is very strong on the SSA-E.

My guess is improper install or lube, but could be reciever tolerance or bad trigger.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#33]

It doesn't matter if it's a .223 or a .50. A semi with a very light trigger is not something that I would recommend.
View Quote
Why?  If the gun goes off when you want it to and only when you want it to?

Im talking 1.5 pounds not 1.5 ounces. I have 3 rifles that I shoot regularily.
An ar in 5.56, 10/22, and a .17hmr bolt action. Non of them have over a 2 lb trigger. Why would they?  I have never had a gun go off when I didn't want it to. Maybe that's because I learned to how to shoot properly at the OSU rifle club shooting custom anschutz's in the rotc basement. They had triggers in the 1-5 oz range. They were very sensitive.  I grew up hunting, but that was where I learned a lot about building a position, breath control, etc.

Are you a mechanic or a mason or something?  If your trigger finger is all calloused up and not sensitive I could understand.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Accidental bump fire. That's why. If your SSA-E has a light reset you installed it wrong.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By DevL:
Something very wrong with your trigger then. I'd pull it and put in a different lower. If that does not shake out, ask for a new one. Reset is very strong on the SSA-E.

My guess is improper install or lube, but could be reciever tolerance or bad trigger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I swapped in an SSA trigger spring, that fixed it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Wisconsin Trigger Co has my full and unabashed support right now.

Not on sale the MkIIA3 is still cheaper than the on sale G national match trigger.

It allows you to adjust the 2nd stage, overtravel, 1st and 2nd stage pull weight, and it is by far the crispest trigger i have ever touched because i set it to my personal preference.

Because you adjust the disconector on a MKII, every trigger can be set to break perfectly and offer the safety necessary to keep your gun from firing unintentionally.

I can't think of another product that has all the features for the dollar.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:56:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#38]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Agree.  SSA-E has very strong reset.  I think 3.5 lb total pull through is as light as I'd want to go with a semi auto unless it is a pure benchrest queen.  The SSA-E meets this criteria and has a very crisp second stage of about 1.2 pounds.  If you, the rifle and ammo are 1/2 MOA capable, that trigger will not handicap you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top