Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2017 3:44:22 PM EDT
Ok,
So I'm getting my parts together for a 6.5 Grendel build.  I plan on using a hanguard with a barrel nut that doesn't need to be timed.  That being the case, is there a "Sweet Spot" for torque values that's generally considered to be ideal, or are there just too many variables?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:00:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: borderpatrol] [#1]
I torque AR15 barrels twice to 35 pounds, loosening after each time. The final torque setting I use when I don't have to time the gas tube is 55 foot pounds. I use 70 foot pounds for AR10's.

As long as you have 35 foot pounds or more you're fine. Some will say 30 foot pounds is enough. There is a lot of stuff going on when that rifle is fired and I figure tighter is better. 55 foot pounds will not hurt a thing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Bill A. found that at least 60ft-lbs for the 6.5 Grendel worked best in testing across a wide fleet sample of rifles when he was ironing out all the details back in the days when it was under development.

I use a lot of torque on 6.5 Grendel and AR10s.

They are different animals than 5.56 NATO in many ways.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
Bill A. found that at least 60ft-lbs for the 6.5 Grendel worked best in testing across a wide fleet sample of rifles when he was ironing out all the details back in the days when it was under development.

I use a lot of torque on 6.5 Grendel and AR10s.

They are different animals than 5.56 NATO in many ways.
View Quote
Thanks for the tip. I all so have a rail with a Barrel nut that doesnt need to be indexed.

I would love to be able build it now, it will have to wait until after the summer.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree 60 ft lbs is a good idea. I have done 300 BLK and AR10 builds at this torque setting as recommended by a gunsmith buddy over the years and never had an issue.
My AR10A4 carbine with seekings rail and my AR10A2 both have thousands of rounds through them and no issues..
Took my A4 down last month to install new Troy rail and was still torqued to exactly 60lbs.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#5]
So I ended up with a Geissele SMR.  I contacted Geissele about the torque value for the aluminum barrel nut.  The manual says 40lb, but they said I should go no higher than 50.  Any concerns with not being able to very high with the torque?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
So I ended up with a Geissele SMR.  I contacted Geissele about the torque value for the aluminum barrel nut.  The manual says 40lb, but they said I should go no higher than 50.  Any concerns with not being able to very high with the torque?
View Quote
Go with the manufacturer recommended torque imo, chances are it will be more than fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top