Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2017 7:28:03 PM EDT
Given the choice of one and only one, for a "do it all rifle," would you choose the .260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmore, or 6.5x55 SE, and which rifle would you choose in that caliber?  It's a thought exercise at the moment, but it may well turn into a new rifle for me down the road.  My current mental criteria are as follows:
1)  Bolt action rifles only, and the rifle must be available off-the-shelf.  I'm not interested in building one.
2)  Capabilities of each cartridge.  I know they're near-ballistic triplets, especially to a handloader, but there ARE differences.
3)  Capability of the rifle.  Accuracy, portability, durability, and yes, beauty.  If it'll print tiny groups while being light enough to carry up a mountain and pretty enough to have on display, I like it.  Blued steel and walnut may be out of place with light weight, but I'd like both if possible.
4)  Cost of the rifle.  If/when I buy one, I'm not spending multiple thousands of dollars on the gun.  I don't have a theoretical budget YET, but I'm working on one.
5)  Availability and quality of factory ammo and reloading components, particularly brass.
6)  Since most manufacturers chamber their rifles for one or at most two of these cartridges, I am NOT settled on a maker OR a cartridge, only the .264 caliber (and in a non-magnum chambering).
7)  I am most decidedly NOT in a hurry.  Finding the "right combination" is part of the game for me.

To sum things up, I'm looking for a rifle light enough to carry long distances, accurate enough to at least sing the tune of high marksmanship, pretty to look at, hard hitting to hunt with, easy on the shoulder, and easy on the pocketbook.

What are your suggestions, and why?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:51:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: goalieMN] [#1]
6.5 Creedmoor.  

They are all comparable.  I don't like reloading similar calibers,  and the Creedmoor runs well at mag length out of an AR if I ever want to go that route.

And I already load for it.

Edit:  I added a Savage long range hunter for 550 bucks after rebate.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#2]
@ goalieMN:

So, essentially, 6.5 CM for you because of the AR/LR 10 compatibility, and because of a screaming deal on a rifle?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Christensen Arms Modern Precision Rifle

This is a neat looking rifle that comes in 6.5 CM and is lightweight....
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Based on blued and walnut stock Dakota arms

6.5 Creedmoor has a few more loadings than the other two cartridges. Now if you travel over seas the 6.5 Swede is out there.  Now the  .260 Rem is gaining ground. But the Creedmoor has had a better marketing plan. But growing up reading Jack O'Connor and his custom mod 70  .270's. It's hard to not in vision that as the mountain rifle of the west.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:00:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
Based on blued and walnut stock Dakota arms

6.5 Creedmoor has a few more loadings than the other two cartridges. Now if you travel over seas the 6.5 Swede is out there.  Now the  .260 Rem is gaining ground. But the Creedmoor has had a better marketing plan. But growing up reading Jack O'Connor and his custom mod 70  .270's. It's hard to not in vision that as the mountain rifle of the west.
View Quote
Someone from another thread mentioned the Bergara rifles, and they look purty, but only show 6.5 CM.  I also like the looks of the CZ 550 FS (full stock), but see 6.5 SE available there.

Curious, how does the CM handle the long 160-grain pills, as compared to the SE?  I know the Swede, when handloaded in a modern rifle, can make some good use of those long bullets at range, but I'm not familiar enough with the CM's ability to handle heavy-for-caliber bullets.

Keep in mind that, if/when I ever do go ahead and get this mental exercise rifle, it may well be used on anything and everything from coyotes to elk to steel gongs at long range.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:16:33 AM EDT
[#6]
6.5 CM because they have great factory ammo choices. If you reload then pick any you like, and add 260 AI or SLR in there also.

It really comes down to if you want factory Ammo, want to reload, and if so do you mind firefoarming. I went with 260 rem because I reload but I'm contemplating a 260 AI barrel now for a few extra fps.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RMCH:
3) If it'll print tiny groups while being light enough to carry up a mountain and pretty enough to have on display, I like it.  Blued steel and walnut may be out of place with light weight, but I'd like both if possible.
4)  Cost of the rifle.  If/when I buy one, I'm not spending multiple thousands of dollars on the gun.  I don't have a theoretical budget YET, but I'm working on one.
View Quote

Tikka.  They do lightweight and accurate very well, and I think they make blue and wood versions of their light hunters.
I think they're usually in the 7-900 neighborhood.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Someone from another thread mentioned the Bergara rifles, and they look purty, but only show 6.5 CM.  I also like the looks of the CZ 550 FS (full stock), but see 6.5 SE available there.

Curious, how does the CM handle the long 160-grain pills, as compared to the SE?  I know the Swede, when handloaded in a modern rifle, can make some good use of those long bullets at range, but I'm not familiar enough with the CM's ability to handle heavy-for-caliber bullets.

Keep in mind that, if/when I ever do go ahead and get this mental exercise rifle, it may well be used on anything and everything from coyotes to elk to steel gongs at long range.
View Quote
I do not know of a factory load 160gr'er. But the Swede has a 1-8 twist in some rifles and the 160RN stabilize just fine. But they shed velocity quick and will destabilize long before a High BC bullet. 143gr ELD-X should be just fine on elk. Or 140gr partition if you need maximum penetration.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#9]
@ goalieMN:

So, essentially, 6.5 CM for you because of the AR/LR 10 compatibility, and because of a screaming deal on a rifle?
View Quote
Yes.

Creedmoor is the only one purposefully made to work well with VLD bullets from a magazine.

All the calibers perform.

I don't want to limit myself without any increase in performance
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#10]
6.5 Creedmoor all day. It’s quickly becoming the normal if not already there.

Any of the calibers will do but the 6.5 seems to be the best option when all factors are compared.

I do not know of a factory load 160gr'er. But the Swede has a 1-8 twist in some rifles and the 160RN stabilize just fine. But they shed velocity quick and will destabilize long before a High BC bullet. 143gr ELD-X should be just fine on elk. Or 140gr partition if you need maximum penetration.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

My question to him was going to be why do you think you need the 160.

With the 140 class bullets we have now it seems like they handle just about everything you would want to do with these calibers anyway.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Any of the calibers will do but the 6.5 seems to be the best option when all factors are compared.

With the 140 class bullets we have now it seems like they handle just about everything you would want to do with these calibers anyway.
View Quote
Only reason I would is if I got invited to a European hog hunt where everyone uses the 156gr bullets. But they are driven and shots are well under a 100 yards most of the time.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Weakest answer yet. "Just because everyone else uses 156gr bullets"
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By avvidclif:
Weakest answer yet. "Just because everyone else uses 156gr bullets"
View Quote
Maybe? But these events are steeped in ritual and etiquette. So you might be more cultured than I. Ask the OP he's the one asked about the 160gr'ers. I was just envisioning a scenario.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:23:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RMCH] [#14]

View Quote
Honestly, it probably comes from loading for M96 Swedes, which I haven't done for several years now.  I've had it in my head that this would be a benefit for certain situations, but with wife and kids in the last 5 years, I haven't really paid much attention to the modern rifle bullet advancements, and have forgotten exactly -what- I used to load in the 6.5x55 (my logbooks are still vaporware somewhere after my last move, and finding them hasn't been a priority with two small children just yet).  Factor in a bit of a built-in prejudice in favor of heavy-for-caliber bullets, and et voila!, you have my assumption that ~160's were still a "thing" desired in all-purpose 6.5mm rifles.

ETA:  Thanks for the replies!  Y'all are giving exactly the kinds of advice and counter-questions I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:41:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Probably the .260 Remington.  For an off the shelf rifle it's the best pick, IF you are a reloader.  The case is based on .308 and is therefore a 'standard' case head and bolt face.  Primer. powders and bullets are common.

The 6.5 Creedmore is a decent round, but is limited in upper end bullet weight.  

6.5x55 is one of my all time favorites, but only available in either surplus rifles, already converted surplus rifles of questionable history, or European rifles which have to be imported and usually expensive.  Also, it has a case head dimension unique in the known universe.  Remington did chamber a special run a few years ago and they're difficult to find for sale and expensive when found.

I have a sporterized (prior to me getting it) Swede M94 Mauser.  I like it and think of it as my 'anything' rifle.  But were I starting and selecting a rifle for the purpose, it would likely be a .260 Remington caliber.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Unless you reload I would go with the 6.5CM, 260REM if you want to roll your own.

There are lots of options chambered in 6.5CM from great manufacturers like Bergara, Weatherby/Howa, Savage, Tikka/Sako, Browning, etc. and lot's more in the custom/semi-custom world. I would pick an action or maker/manufacturer that you like/prefer and roll on.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By OldManMontgomery:
Probably the .260 Remington.  For an off the shelf rifle it's the best pick, IF you are a reloader.  The case is based on .308 and is therefore a 'standard' case head and bolt face.  Primer. powders and bullets are common.

6.5x55 is one of my all time favorites, but only available in either surplus rifles, already converted surplus rifles of questionable history, or European rifles which have to be imported and usually expensive.  Also, it has a case head dimension unique in the known universe.  Remington did chamber a special run a few years ago and they're difficult to find for sale and expensive when found.

I have a sporterized (prior to me getting it) Swede M94 Mauser.  I like it and think of it as my 'anything' rifle.  But were I starting and selecting a rifle for the purpose, it would likely be a .260 Remington caliber.
View Quote
I’m confused by your comment on the Creedmoor and heavy bullets? Care to expound?

Unless something changed CZ built several rifles in 6.5x55 which are not hard to come by. They have been building them as long as I can remember.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I’m confused by your comment on the Creedmoor and heavy bullets? Care to expound?  
View All Quotes

I'm confused too. My understanding is that the shorter 6.5 CM case is better suited for loading long bullets at magazine length.  I know I have no problems loading 147 ELD-Ms for my CM. Hell, the 140s and 147s are commonly available in commercial ammunition.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Went and coonfingered a few rifles the other day: the ones that stood out and were in my mental price range were the Bergara B-14 and the Browning X-Bolt "Hell's Canyon Speed."  The Bergara just seems like a solidly built and good-looking rifle all-around, and their accuracy guarantee caught my attention.  However...  That X-Bolt with the long, crazy, attention-grabbing name was also very attention grabbing itself, first for the esoteric looks, and then far more so in its light weight and handling.  They're both in 6.5 CM, but that seems like less and less of an issue, due to now-widely-available factory ammo (my little town's Wal-Mart has it as a regularly stocked item now) and handloading potential.  So...

Haven't bought one, at least not yet.  I've yet to hear anything bad about the Bergara rifles, and I'm not really expecting to.  But does anyone have any warnings or advice on what to expect with Browning's rather "odd" X-Bolt?  Aside from personal preferences such as weight or appearance, is there anything that would definitely recommend one rifle over the other?
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#20]
They will all work.   I have one of the Remington 6.5 Swedes, but it just sits in the safe as I have a Ruger #1 in that caliber that I use to hunt with, when I get drawn for a tag (not very often though)
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#21]
The CM is growing by a massive amount. Sales from all manufacturers are through the roof with no signs of slowing. It will be around for a long time and support will increase.

The Tikka T3X in 6.5CM utilizes a slightly longer magazine, a 24" barrel, and options to change grip and forearm shape. All in a very accurate lightweight package. That is my choice. Now actually getting one, therein lies the problem.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By flinch08:
The CM is growing by a massive amount. Sales from all manufacturers are through the roof with no signs of slowing. It will be around for a long time and support will increase.
View Quote
This is my opinion.   All are good,  but all perform about the same - there is no reason to have so many of the same round flavors.   6.5CM has pretty much won the VHS/Beta race,  so just run with that.

As to reloading - not sure why 260 is being listed as "better "  you can certainly reload 6.5CM.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#23]
X bolt is a solid proven gun. Haven’t seen that particular model but they’re all good solid guns.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Does reloading the 260 rem somehow make the COL/fit in a magazine issues go away?

They are all amazing performers.   Only one was designed from scratch to use the bullets people were already using in the 260 (long VLD bullets) from a magazine without the round being too long for the magazine.

And mags are not limited to only gas guns.

So,  like I said,  for ME,  I see no reason to handicap myself without a huge increase in performance.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By goalieMN:
Does reloading the 260 rem somehow make the COL/fit in a magazine issues go away?

They are all amazing performers.   Only one was designed from scratch to use the bullets people were already using in the 260 (long VLD bullets) from a magazine without the round being too long for the magazine.

And mags are not limited to only gas guns.

So,  like I said,  for ME,  I see no reason to handicap myself without a huge increase in performance.
View Quote
No. Many 260s are throated long so you won't be able to "kiss and rock on" without a 3" box and crowding powder space in a standard short action. I know you know what and who I'm talking about.

I've been shooting the 260s for 17 or 18 years so I'm not switching unless I absolutely had to.

In the end we're only talking about 2gr of difference in capacity with the 6.5CM and 260Rem. Too many people are hung up on bench rest gack when they can't shoot past 150 yards and make it count.

I picked up a Stevens 200 in 300WM for $200 last year. I may go 6.5 Swede with the sharp shoulder and run a long pipe on it. 6.5s love a long pipe for velocity. One of my 260s has a 28" barrel and it's an easy 100-200 fps depending on load vs a 24". I know it's not cutting edge and short action but I'm pretty sure the critters and steel won't care.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 11:17:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By heavy260:

No. Many 260s are throated long so you won't be able to "kiss and rock on" without a 3" box and crowding powder space in a standard short action.
View Quote
Kissing the lands can be heavenly.  And save a whole lotta ammo finding the right "load" that shoots well......

I get where you're at.  At least 6-7 people I know shoot deer with 260's on my recommendation over the years.  And here I am with the Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 12:42:32 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote
Not true. I bought a Howa on sale after last deer season in 6.5x55 for $360. I believe Weatherby makes a vanguard in 6.5x55 if you want something pretty.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 12:50:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MudBug:
Not true. I bought a Howa on sale after last deer season in 6.5x55 for $360. I believe Weatherby makes a vanguard in 6.5x55 if you want something pretty.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MudBug:

And the CZ, Tikka, Sauer etc aren’t that expensive. 15-20 years ago that statement might have been true but certainly not any time recently.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 6:47:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Tikka or Bergara in CM.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm trying to meet all of your criteria but it's the cost thing that I MIGHT be missing depending on what kind of a deal you may find.

Just to hunt with a bolt gun, I would go with 6.5 x 55 SE.  I LOVE that cartridge.  It's case capacity when chambered in a safe, modern action IMHO gives it a velocity advantage over the other two as long as pressures are kept somewhere between "warm" and "are you fucking nuts?'  You will need a long action which won't help with weight.  I have a wood stocked, blued Sako AIII Hunter with a medium contour barrel.  It's gorgeous and more importantly an absolute hammer.  The Sako is spendy, no doubt but Tikka and CZ make nice 6.5x55 rifles as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top