Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2017 8:13:00 AM EDT
I've been thinking about picking up an 700 long range in 300RUM for my magnum gun. Thoughts? It's hard to beat for 600 bucks features wise
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#1]
No one? I'm reading mixed reviews
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:14:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MtnRoamer] [#2]
I have one in 300 Win Mag in an XLR chassis and it has performed better than expected.  

Most 3 round groups were under an inch @ 200 during load development.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, from an earlier thread about the LRs

Originally Posted By tx1021:
I know this thread is kind of old but finally got around to doing some load development for my 300 Win Mag LR Model 84164.

It's a factory barreled action with nothing done to it besides an initial cleaning sitting in an XLR Carbon with a Bushnell LRTS.

Been slowly working up to find pressure since I'm using the new Hornady 225 ELD-M and there wasn't much info on it.  Anyways shot 10 separate 3 round groups at 200 today, I know 5 is better and 10 even more so but just working on load development right now...  

Over the 10 groups the best was .25 MOA and the worst was 1.05 MOA, with an average of all the groups at .57 MOA.

Cartridge specs:
225gn Hornady ELD-M
Nosler Virgin Brass, neck sized only
CCI 250 Primer
COAL: 3.670"

Very very slight pressure signs with 75.5 grains of RL26 at a velocity of 2904 FPS, SD of 8.

No pressure signs reached with H1000 yet but have worked up to 77.5 grains at a velocity of 2826 FPS, SD of 3.

These loads are well above book max for most of the heavy 30 cal bullets so if you're using the new ELD-M start low and work up.

Hopefully this info helps someone.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/Tx1021/Snapchat-748476918_zps4ughq6sl.jpg~original
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tx1021:
I have one in 300 Win Mag in an XLR chassis and it has performed better than expected.  

Most 3 round groups were under an inch @ 200 during load development.
View Quote
That's more than adequate for me. Did you have and issues mechanically? Some guys were saying burrs on the chamber, plastic shims, etc.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Stock magazine setup would scratch the hell out of the brass, fixed it with a little bit of polishing, but never actually fired it in the factory stock.  It did come with the plastic shims...

Chamber would leave some small marks on the brass at first but everything seems to have worked itself out after ~200ish rounds.

Bolt has felt as good as any stock Remington and closes and opens nicely.  Not much else I can think of, really enjoying the rifle but it does seem like a bit of a gamble from what I've seen from others on the internet... Personal experience has been positive though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Out of the bolt rifles I've shot with, the R700 action is my favorite. Savage would be my second choice. I built a 1/4 MOA 700 in 308 on the stock 18" barrel, and loved it. Barrels can be changed, but all the action is in the action, in my opinion. Everything feels tight, smooth, and intentional. Too many bolt rifles seem to have sloppy bolts, with lots of movement. Sorta like comparing a Remington 870 to a Mossberg 500, the 870 is tight and fluid while the 500 feels like granddads chinky slapstick. I suggest you go to a store and handle them, see what feel right for you.

Accuracy is rather irrelevant to me when buying a base bolt rifle. They can all be made accurate, modified, and most people do anyway. I feel like the R700  is more expensive to build, although I enjoy the simple and effective design of the 700 action and bolt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top