Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2017 10:22:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WI_Bill]
Can I get some recommendations for scopes, magnification at least 18x, illuminated, FFP, ranging-type reticle?  I'm intetested in two price ranges, up to $900 and up to $1500.  Currently looking at weaver, primary arms, but open to suggestions.  Thanks.

Edit:  for a tikka ctr 6.5 cm.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#1]
For the $$$ spent, the gen II V vortex viper PST is best bang for the buck IMB.

It's FFP, illuminated, 5-25x power, and Vortex warranty and customer service are gtg.

I have two Gen I Viper PST and they're both gtg, and the Gen II improves on any shortcomings of the first gen.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought a Vortex Viper PST Gen II last week and so far it's great. With my military discount it was $1000 shipped.

IMG_9012 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
IMG_9024 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 2:17:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#3]
Does that include rings?

If not the MHSA Gen I Razor and Sphur mount is the best deal going for $1700 at the moment.

Otherwise, I would look at the Bushnell DMR II-i.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 7:32:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WI_Bill] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jlficken:
Does that include rings?

If not the MHSA Gen I Razor and Sphur mount is the best deal going for $1700 at the moment.

Otherwise, I would look at the Bushnell DMR II-i.
View Quote
1500 is just the scope.  I'm also looking at what would meet the requirements in the 900 range.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can find a Gen 1 vortex Razor, that's a good option.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#6]
The bad thing on the new gen II viper PST is you have to find them in stock somewhere, dealing directly from Vortex is a 6 month back order they told me. I got lucky and saw it posted on the sniper forums that a place had received a few and quickly ordered one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By WI_Bill:

1500 is just the scope.  I'm also looking at what would meet the requirements in the 900 range.
View Quote
I sent you an IM.

If you can afford the $1500ish class of scopes you really should get one right away as you really won't regret it.

I bought lots of $1000 scopes before I bought my Gen II Razor and I am finally happy with my optic choice now.  I got it on sale for $1700 so that helped a lot though
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Your high point budget is really close to the 4.5-29x56 Athlon Cronus. Most are $1700, I found mine for $1500. It has been stellar so far. Great reticle and all the goodies, FFP, illuminated, side focus, zero stop, and glass quality between Razor Gen II and ATACR.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jlficken:

I sent you an IM.

If you can afford the $1500ish class of scopes you really should get one right away as you really won't regret it.

I bought lots of $1000 scopes before I bought my Gen II Razor and I am finally happy with my optic choice now.  I got it on sale for $1700 so that helped a lot though
View Quote
Thanks, I saw that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I ordered the Weaver 6-30x56 that has been on sale.  It's heavy, but my eyes are bad so I'm hoping it is as bright as reported.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ISED8U:
For the $ spent, the gen II V vortex viper PST is best bang for the buck IMB.

It's FFP, illuminated, 5-25x power, and Vortex warranty and customer service are gtg.

I have two Gen I Viper PST and they're both gtg, and the Gen II improves on any shortcomings of the first gen.
View Quote
I don't need to write it again so see the text above.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By WI_Bill:
I ordered the Weaver 6-30x56 that has been on sale.  It's heavy, but my eyes are bad so I'm hoping it is as bright as reported.
View Quote
I think this Weaver is the best value currently going.  10 mil turrets, zero stop, illumination, very bright LOW built glass.  I haven't sat it down to do an optical comparison with my Razor II yet, I'll hopefully get that done tomorrow.
https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-super-slam-tactical-rifle-scope-6-30x56mm-34mm.html

If you get .mil discounts, then the Bushnell DMR II is a great choice.  Without a .mil discount the original Razor/sphur mentioned above is a pretty good deal.

If your willing to bust your budget just a little and want to save weight, the Leupold MK 6 3-18 with H58 is $1800 at Natchez.
https://www.natchezss.com/leupold-mark-6-rifle-scope-3-18x44mm-34mm-front-focal-h-58-reticle-matte.html

The PST II's seem pretty nice, but I would get the Weaver for slightly less.  I'm pretty sure the Weaver will have better glass.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

I think this Weaver is the best value currently going.  10 mil turrets, zero stop, illumination, very bright LOW built glass.  I haven't sat it down to do an optical comparison with my Razor II yet, I'll hopefully get that done tomorrow.
https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-super-slam-tactical-rifle-scope-6-30x56mm-34mm.html

If you get .mil discounts, then the Bushnell DMR II is a great choice.  Without a .mil discount the original Razor/sphur mentioned above is a pretty good deal.

If your willing to bust your budget just a little and want to save weight, the Leupold MK 6 3-18 with H58 is $1800 at Natchez.
https://www.natchezss.com/leupold-mark-6-rifle-scope-3-18x44mm-34mm-front-focal-h-58-reticle-matte.html

The PST II's seem pretty nice, but I would get the Weaver for slightly less.  I'm pretty sure the Weaver will have better glass.
View Quote
I was watching your posts in another thread.  They helped to sway me to the weaver.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Good choice! I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up with a spare.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
Are the Weavers still made by Simons?
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

View Quote
I don't know about others.  My understanding is the Weaver Tactical line was contracted through Light Optical Works in Japan.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:17:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mustb123] [#17]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Burris XTR II
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know about others.  My understanding is the Weaver Tactical line was contracted through Light Optical Works in Japan.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

I just got mine in the mail today; the bottom of the main tube says "Made in Japan".  I think the guts of the scope might have a lot in common with the Razor II 4.5-27.  For instance, the elevation turret has a similar zero setting mechanism where you pop the cap off and turn an infinitely fine adjustment screw to move the reticle independently from the turret mechanism.

Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:55:42 PM EDT
[#20]
SWFA fan here. They have sales quarterly or so. 20% usually. Their HD 5x20 is my favorite in your price range. At this time, I refuse to spend $2500+++ for a scope. It was a decision between the SWFA and the Vortex for me.
Enjoy your scope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top