User Panel

Site Notices
Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 4 of 90)
Page / 90
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:45:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gone_Shootin] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TeeRex:

243 with a 1:7.7 Twist has nothing to do with Fudds.  Slinging 105s and 115s downrange moving fast is fun.  I have a a custom 260 and I'm getting one of these in 243 just because I want to push rounds faster.  I'll still shoot my 260 in matches.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gone_Shootin:
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Seeing as this is the only 6mm rifle with a 7.7 twist allowing end users to use the heavy 6mm bullets I am betting it will sell well for people looking to get a 6mm. The .243 was a big cartridge in tactical match shooting back around 2006/2007 but then the Creedmoor came out and other 6mms started becoming popular but the old .243 with the heavies is still an excellent long range round.

I think the .308 will sell best, as they always do, followed by Creedmoor and then the .243 but they will still sell a bunch of .243s.

I agree. I think the 243 was the most ballsy choice and I hope it pays off so others will follow. Savage and remington really dropped the ball on their long range guns by not offering the faster twists.

Don't a lot of the matches limit speed to 3000 fps? I think I remember a old thread about some people choosing 6.5 because the main advantage in the 243 was you could get the heavies up well over 3,000 pretty easily.

I don't know if .243 was such a ballsy choice, because it seems like a good round to lure in the Fudds.

243 with a 1:7.7 Twist has nothing to do with Fudds.  Slinging 105s and 115s downrange moving fast is fun.  I have a a custom 260 and I'm getting one of these in 243 just because I want to push rounds faster.  I'll still shoot my 260 in matches.

You're right about the twist, but .243 is one of those cartridges that has been a staple fudd gun round for decades. And I'm not trying to put .243 down, it is a great round. I'm just saying that it has a wider overall appeal than what some in this thread give it credit for, and will help attract a wider audience to this rifle over the long run.

It was a good decision for Ruger.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I layed hands on the .243 version today.  Very solid platform from the barrel to the stock.  The least desirable part was the Sampson rail.  Folding stock, threaded barrel, 1 in 10 twist (on the .308 I have coming in Tuesday... grrr)  Trigger was Savage-ish remake and the ability to run pmags and metal mags was a plus.  Weight wasnt bad compared to a .338 Armalite AR-30A1.  

Needs packaged bi-pod and muzzle brake.  Pics coming mid next week when I pick it up.  Range trip for the next Sunday but only to 100 yards...boo!

SASS who?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By WarHound55:
Folding stock, threaded barrel, 1 in 10 twist (on the .308 I have coming in Tuesday... grrr)
View Quote

Congrats. When I decide to purchase, have to decide between 308 and 6.5. I reload 308, which is why I went with 308 when I purchased my Savage 10T, so not sure I want to reload another cartridge. The ballistics on the 6.5 is better than the 308 though. Decisions decisions.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I have no clue where everyone is finding these rifles for 1k, espically the .308.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Knoxp9090:
I have no clue where everyone is finding these rifles for 1k, espically the .308.
View Quote

Me too! I had to pay $1350 for the .308.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm wondering what the throat will be like on the .243.  If they're really aiming for serious long range shooters I wonder if they'll have it short enough that you can touch the lands with mag length rounds.  Probably not, though, because someone would end up jamming a bullet hard into the lands and create excessive pressure.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 5:51:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bowhntr6pt] [#7]
View Quote

Several on-line vendors have the .243 for well under 1K... the .308 and 6.5 are in demand and people are over paying just to be the first ones to get the rifle... dealer cost is well under $900 so I'll wait until the rush is over. Those paying top dollar are spending almost half of what a good scope would cost... I guess if you have the money... go for it.

Best deal right now:

kygunco.com has the .243 for $929 and free shipping
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:

Several on-line vendors have the .243 for well under 1K... the .308 and 6.5 are in demand and people are over paying just to be the first ones to get the rifle... dealer cost is well under $900 so I'll wait until the rush is over. Those paying top dollar are spending almost half of what a good scope would cost... I guess if you have the money... go for it.

Best deal right now:

View All Quotes

Best deal right now:

Sold out
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I was at the Nation's show yesterday and there were two of the .243's on the floor, one for $1,000 and the other for $1,399.  I played with the .243 for a bit and my only thoughts were the balance on the .243 with the 26" barrel and I don't particularly like the Sampson rail.  Neither are real issues, just initial thoughts and I'm in for .308 when the prices normalize.  Supposedly there was a 6.5 at the dealer who had the lower priced .243, but he said he sold it as soon as the show opened for retail - FWIW.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:45:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bowhntr6pt] [#10]
Originally Posted By sagillman:

Sold out
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sagillman:

Best deal right now:

Sold out

It is now... Champion shows one for $950

ETA- well... it's OOS now too....
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By alemonkey:

I'm wondering what the throat will be like on the .243.  If they're really aiming for serious long range shooters I wonder if they'll have it short enough that you can touch the lands with mag length rounds.  Probably not, though, because someone would end up jamming a bullet hard into the lands and create excessive pressure.
View Quote

I'll know in a couple days.  I have the hornady goal gauge to measure I only have some 105s right now, but that should give a good baseline
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#12]

I'll know in a couple days.  I have the hornady goal gauge to measure I only have some 105s right now, but that should give a good baseline

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By alemonkey:

Cool, I'll be looking forward to it.  The more I think about it the more I'm actually leaning towards the .243.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Food for thought on the .243 Win... Straight from the horses mouth at Ruger Customer Service...

"We have no plans to make or sell replacement barrels for the Ruger Precision Rifle".

I shoot a lot of .243... ALOT!! Until the aftermarket crowd steps up for the replacements, there won't be an RPR in my future. I can't see investing in a rifle that I will only get to shoot for a few months. For now, I will be sticking to my Savages.

DK
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By z71rat:
Food for thought on the .243 Win... Straight from the horses mouth at Ruger Customer Service...

"We have no plans to make or sell replacement barrels for the Ruger Precision Rifle".

I shoot a lot of .243... ALOT!! Until the aftermarket crowd steps up for the replacements, there won't be an RPR in my future. I can't see investing in a rifle that I will only get to shoot for a few months. For now, I will be sticking to my Savages.

DK
View Quote

Mausingfield with savage barrels would be the shit.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#15]
There's no way anyone else could make replacement barrels either.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Got to handle one today.
I will be buying one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
View Quote

Someone probably already has. The rifle seems to be designed with that in mind. I suspect Ruger is wanting to put out as many complete rifles as possible. If you shoot one out I would bet you could send it in and they would put a new barrel on it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:49:35 PM EDT
[#19]
The Ruger American and M77 share the same barrel threads IIRC, last I checked BHW was going to start making prefits for the M77. If the Ruger PR shares the same threads as the American maybe they'll work.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:01:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By gunnut284:

Someone probably already has. The rifle seems to be designed with that in mind. I suspect Ruger is wanting to put out as many complete rifles as possible. If you shoot one out I would bet you could send it in and they would put a new barrel on it.
View All Quotes

I think he was being facetious. A competent smith can match the thread pattern and chamber a high end barrel for the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 5:46:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm going to get a 6.5mm when it finally slows down maybe like January to March time frame.  Right now they are just too much demand to even consider.  I've been wanting a 6.5 creedmore and almost had my AR10 refitted a few years back.  I think it's a nice all purpose long range cartridge.

Anyway too much hype right now to buy. I already got in on that with the ATN X-sight lol

It sure is a pretty rifle though. Will prolly sell of my Wnchester 70 308 after I pick this up.

Need to find a couple at a gun show to finger'freck some
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:08:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

I think he was being facetious. A competent smith can match the thread pattern and chamber a high end barrel for the rifle.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

Yeah, I caught that. I guess I was replying more toward the guy he was replying to
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#23]
This gun will get me back into the bolt gun world.

I will have one in 6.5cm.
I will put a suppressor on it.
I will spend at least 1.5x the cost of the gun on the optic.
I will find a factory load for it and buy a lot of it.

I might even take a class with it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Just got on the list for a 6.5 creed for 975. Supposed to be getting a call soon. I will do a range report as soon as I get glass on it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Sniper rifle.
View Quote
LMAO. That is what my 10 year old said when he was looking over my shoulder. Except he was so excited it came out as "Niper Rifle!"

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#26]
As soon as I sell my PSL, I'll be searching for one of these in 6.5
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:19:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Anyone know of any dealers with the .308 for a not inflated price? I have a Zeiss that I wouldn't mind parking on one of these
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#28]
What rings for a 6-24x50 Vortex PST FFP? Regular high 1.26" or extra High like a 1/3 co-witness

Or what rings are these?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:37:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: delirious1] [#29]
Originally Posted By postban:
What rings for a 6-24x50 Vortex PST FFP? Regular high 1.26" or extra High like a 1/3 co-witness

Or what rings are these?
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/RPR-1-9Ts2Yamz73j83.jpg
View Quote

I have a vortex razor 5-20 coming.  Look at the height of the largest objective and divide it by 2.  That's the mid ocular to base distance.    I went with the 1.26 rings.   That was suggested by vortex for the razor (when using a mono rail),  I'd look and see what that is for the 6-24.

H1 is 2.26 on both scopes   So 2.26/2 is 1.13   gives you .13 for end cap.  Also consider the rail has 20 MOA built in.   So, there's a slight downward slant.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Handled a .308 at the LGS this Saturday, it impressed me greatly.  Price was about $1100.  I'm definitely buying one.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:18:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: postban] [#31]
Originally Posted By delirious1:

I have a vortex razor 5-20 coming.  Look at the height of the largest objective and divide it by 2.  That's the mid ocular to base distance.   I went with the 1.26 rings.   That was suggested by vortex for the razor (when using a mono rail),  I'd look and see what that is for the 6-24.

H1 is 2.26 on both scopes   So 2.26/2 is 1.13   gives you .13 for end cap.  Also consider the rail has 20 MOA built in.   So, there's a slight downward slant.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/dim_pst-t.jpg
View All Quotes

Or what rings are these?
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/RPR-1-9Ts2Yamz73j83.jpg

I have a vortex razor 5-20 coming.  Look at the height of the largest objective and divide it by 2.  That's the mid ocular to base distance.   I went with the 1.26 rings.   That was suggested by vortex for the razor (when using a mono rail),  I'd look and see what that is for the 6-24.

Thanks for that^. So you are gonna be right down snug on the rail.

I know how that setup works on a standard stock bolt gun, similar to my  700

I like that they offer those matched pair rings at 1.26 but I do think I would like to be up a bit more.
I figure it is similar height above bore and LOS to an AR15 and I use Larue 1.4" for dots and Larue 1.93 for my TR-24g's.
I know canting error can increase but I am getting their level ring also.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Or what rings are these?
View Quote

You'll want at least a 1.3" tall ring.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:46:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: delirious1] [#33]

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/postban/Rifles/Centerfire/Remington%20700%20SPS%20Tactical/IMG_0065.jpg

I like that they offer those matched pair rings at 1.26 but I do think I would like to be up a bit more.
I figure it is similar height above bore and LOS to an AR15 and I use Larue 1.4" for dots and Larue 1.93 for my TR-24g's.

View All Quotes

Or what rings are these?

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/postban/Rifles/Centerfire/Remington%20700%20SPS%20Tactical/IMG_0065.jpg

I ordered the tallest that Vortex makes and what they suggested.   If it doesn't work out, then I'll get something different.    I have the vortex pst 6-24 50 on my custom made win mag with medium rings and I'm happy.   However, I don't know for sure until I get the rings in and match it up with a strait rail.   I'll see.   If  not, I will be looking for some other rings.

from the Q&A on vortex:

Bobo8541
· a month ago  
What height rings should I use for the Vortex Razor Gen 1 5-20x 50mm on a Larue Tactical OBR(gas gun platform)?
1 answers
?

Reuben
· 24 days ago  
You'd want to go with a set of the 35mm "high" rings in a 1.26" height.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#34]

I ordered the tallest that Vortex makes and what they suggested.   If it doesn't work out, then I'll get something different.    I have the vortex pst 6-24 50 on my custom made win mag with medium rings and I'm happy.   However, I don't know for sure until I get the rings in and match it up with a strait rail.   I'll see.   If  not, I will be looking for some other rings.
View All Quotes

Or what rings are these?

Tallest rings you can get will work fine. Worst case scenario ya have to adjust your cheek pad up higher.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Always a useful link to post...

http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:25:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryanralston12] [#36]
Are you guys factoring in that the mounting area is canted 20MOA while the handguard is not parallel to the mounting area? You may need taller rings so the bell housing doesn't it the handguard since it's not canted like the mounting area.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Ryanralston12:
Are you guys factoring in that the mounting area is canted 20MOA while the handguard is not parallel to the mounting area? You may need taller rings so the bell housing doesn't it the handguard since it's not canted like the mounting area.
View Quote

Yeah, something like an AR15 mount or ULTRA high rings. Anything over 50mm or with a sunshade is gonna be tight going forward.

Real guns used a 34mm scope body with a 44mm objective bell and a 1.5" mount.
http://www.realguns.com/articles/726.htm

It will be 3mm tighter with the 50mm I am planning. Looks like 1.5" or up is the way I am going.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By chrismartin:

View All Quotes

I put those parameters in with a 20 MOA rail   Medium passes without butler creek cap,   High passes with a butler creek cap.  So,  1.26 works.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#39]
would someone measure the samson rail.  I have a 9 inch Noveske NSR, I might swap it out with.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#40]

I put those parameters in with a 20 MOA rail   Medium passes without butler creek cap,   High passes with a butler creek cap.  So,  1.26 works.
View All Quotes

That calculator is for traditional drop-comb style stocks. For straight-line stocks like on an AR or the Ruger Precision Rifle, you want 1.375" or higher so you can actually get your eye behind the scope. The whole "get the scope as low as possible" thing doesn't apply to ARs or AR-like rifles.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

That calculator is for traditional drop-comb style stocks. For straight-line stocks like on an AR or the Ruger Precision Rifle, you want 1.375" or higher so you can actually get your eye behind the scope. The whole "get the scope as low as possible" thing doesn't apply to ARs or AR-like rifles.
View All Quotes

Maybe I'm missing something.  I shoot a T5a on my 300 win mag.  Adjustable cheek.  What I have works fine.  How is this different.  It also has an adjustable cheek.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

For some people it still does. Not everyone has the same face.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Maybe I'm missing something.  I shoot a T5a on my 300 win mag.  Adjustable cheek.  What I have works fine.  How is this different.  It also has an adjustable cheek.
View Quote

Your T5A has a drop comb, so you can adjust your cheekpiece substantially lower in relation to the scope than you can on the Ruger. Look at this diagram:

Note the distance between the red lines on both rifles. While both your T5A and the Ruger have adjustable cheekpieces, the Ruger's can't go nearly as low as the the T5A's. That's the critical difference between a drop comb and straight line stock, and why you need higher rings on the Ruger than on your .300WM -- even if both rifles have adjustable cheekpieces.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By RFutch:

http://i.imgur.com/4bGnoZS.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RFutch:

http://i.imgur.com/4bGnoZS.jpg

Fair enough. I would be looking through the top of my skull if I had my scope set up like that on an AR...
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:07:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#45]
Originally Posted By bigcraig:
This gun will get me back into the bolt gun world.

I will have one in 6.5cm.
I will put a suppressor on it.
I will spend at least 1.5x the cost of the gun on the optic.
I will find a factory load for it and buy a lot of it.

I might even take a class with it.
View Quote

Great post.  Add the following:

I will learn to reload for it, get even better accuracy, and save money.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Fair enough. I would be looking through the top of my skull if I had my scope set up like that on an AR...
View Quote

Yeah that nice lookin rig would be a "temple weld" for me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:22:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#47]
On the scope height issue, it will be a matter of personal experimentation.   I still believe in "as low over the bore" as you can get, if you can get a good cheek weld with your stock.  It affects trajectory and reduces the effect of cant.  

Given that it is designed to work with AR stock height, albeit with an adjustable cheek piece, it will not exactly correspond to the classic "measure the objective OD" mounting and go only as high as needed to clear that bell.  That might work, but might not.  Be prepared to try several different heights.

Another factor is iron sights.  While I doubt many of these rifles will have back up irons, some might.  Then you do have to do the "AR' mounting method.  Heck I have a 6-24x50 Burris scope with a long tube and a 4" sunshade.  I had to raise that up to the LaRue 1.93 to get the sunshade to clear the folded front, sight!   So, if you do plan to put anything on the top of that Samson rail (need not be a folded sight) keep its presence in mind if you are using a long scope with sunshade.

I find it exciting that we are having these discussions about scope mounting options.  That means that Ruger has finally done something worth our attention!
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By MS556:
On the scope height issue, it will be a matter of personal experimentation.   I still believe in "as low over the bore" as you can get, if you can get a good cheek weld with your stock. It affects trajectory and reduces the effect of cant.  

Given that it is designed to work with AR stock height, albeit with an adjustable cheek piece, it will not exactly correspond to the classic "measure the objective OD" mounting and go only as high as needed to clear that bell.  That might work, but might not.  Be prepared to try several different heights.

Another factor is iron sights.  While I doubt many of these rifles will have back up irons, some might.  Then you do have to do the "AR' mounting method.  Heck I have a 6-24x50 Burris scope with a long tube and a 4" sunshade.  I had to raise that up to the LaRue 1.93 to get the sunshade to clear the folded front, sight!   So, if you do plan to put anything on the top of that Samson rail (need not be a folded sight) keep its presence in mind if you are using a long scope with sunshade.

I find it exciting that we are having these discussions about scope mounting options.  That means that Ruger has finally done something worth our attention!
View Quote

Have you ever plugged ring height into a ballistic calculator and seen how much it matters? Also can you explain the cant reasoning? I always just used a bubble on my scope.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By MS556:    Another factor is iron sights.  While I doubt many of these rifles will have back up irons, some might.  Then you do have to do the "AR' mounting method.  Heck I have a 6-24x50 Burris scope with a long tube and a 4" sunshade.  I had to raise that up to the LaRue 1.93 to get the sunshade to clear the folded front, sight!   So, if you do plan to put anything on the top of that Samson rail (need not be a folded sight) keep its presence in mind if you are using a long scope with sunshade.

View Quote

Or, given you're unlikely to use irons @ the ranges you'd use the scope, just mount your rear BUIS in front of the scope.  You'd still have plenty of sight radius.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By RePp:  Have you ever plugged ring height into a ballistic calculator and seen how much it matters? Also can you explain the cant reasoning? I always just used a bubble on my scope.
View Quote

If you cant your rifle by 5 degrees, the closer the scope is to the bore centerline, the less the cant will make a difference.
Page / 90
Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 4 of 90)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top