Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2017 9:46:17 AM EDT
I'm seriously planning and working on the drawing board for a precision bolt or DMR platform. I've been taking my time with the research due to me having two AR projects underway currently, 1 RECCE and 1 SBR build that I sent my form 1 out for last month. With that being said all my firearms are relatively practical and meticulously thought out while considering factors like my environment/AO, parts availability, ammo availability, etc.

I originally started looking at DMR options because I live in a large city in Texas, and wanted something versatile that would be practical in the "worst case scenario shit hits the fan lock up the wife and kids" type situation and also practical for hunting and recreational events/competitions also perhaps. But even though this is a self loading dedicated DMR I cannot determine rather it will be absolutely more practical than a bolt gun. Especially something like the R7 SPS Tactical or Howa 1500.

Do I need to be talked out of the M1A? I think my love for that platform and the nostalgia is clouding my judgement.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm currently building a shorter (18.5") Remy 700 for the same purposes as you are thinking.  I wanted something lighter weight and super maneuverable because I won't be doing a lot of prone shooting.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/precision-rifles/Decided-to-build-a-Bolt-gun-/3-6809/

Having used M14's in many different configurations I knew that it wasn't going to be what I wanted.  The semi-auto would be super helpful but the weight, parts, maintenance, and expense ruled out the m1a/m14

The next idea was a nice AR10.  I was going to run Aero Precision everything with a nice match grade barrel and a Mk6 scope.  I've had AR10s before and used the crap out of an M110 rifle.  But they get heavy too and I just didn't want another AR style gun.

I wanted to be able to hunt with it and the gun to be a little more "Socially" acceptable.  I have friends with kids that like to come over and we shoot small calibers in the back yard.  So I wanted something simple to help teach fundamentals to folks that don't have the grown ups Mil experience.

So the 700 was the choice and I'm super excited about this build.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Infidel4life11:
I'm currently building a shorter (18.5") Remy 700 for the same purposes as you are thinking.  I wanted something lighter weight and super maneuverable because I won't be doing a lot of prone shooting.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/precision-rifles/Decided-to-build-a-Bolt-gun-/3-6809/

The next idea was a nice AR10.  I was going to run Aero Precision everything with a nice match grade barrel and a Mk6 scope.  I've had AR10s before and used the crap out of an M110 rifle.  But they get heavy too and I just didn't want another AR style gun.
View Quote
Nice build thread! I subscribed.

Coincidentally I was considering the option of AR10 with all Aero components also! But there's the huge redundancy factor there of course. I've standardized ammo for my household but a standardized weapon platform would taking it a little to far haha. Thanks your your input. Your build thread just pushed me a little further over onto the bolt gun and R7 side.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone else have experience or input on this, or is the M1A Precision even more rare than I thought?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried myself. I was REALLY biased and tried to make it work and was never happy with it. I bought a Springfield Loaded model, started with it. I did all the standard accuracy tweaks everyone recommends, shimmed the gas system, Sadlak guide rod, NM piston and and bedded it in the stock. That resulted 1.5ish MOA at best but not really consistently. I then went to a Sage chassis and essentially made it an M39 EMR clone, I loved the rifle like this, other than being really heavy. I did a metric TON of load workups and FINALLY got a load together with 168 Amaxes that would shoot about 1 MOA fairly consistent but would still occasionally just launch a flyer for no apparent reason. It was extremely picky about the ammo needed to make it shoot good and I just eventually ran out of patience with it. I was neck turning brass and spending a ton of time on case prep and just got tired of it. I shot one 600 yard F Class Mid Range match with it and had a good time but it was just so brutal on how it treated the brass it was way too much work.

I sold the chassis and put it in a USGI fiberglass stock and just accepted it for what it is and enjoy it for that. I kept the Sadlak scope mount and occasionally throw an Aimpoint on it and shoot local 2 gun matches with it BHD Shugart style.  I really wanted to make it work because I love the platform but in a precision role I was never happy with it. I went down the 308 AR platform and built a precision rifle that will flat shoot and not be as picky about it.

Hope this helps, this was my experience with one. Someone could maybe go with a good barrel with less tight of a chamber than my Loaded has and see better results but I just didn't pursue it any further.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried myself. I was REALLY biased and tried to make it work and was never happy with it. I bought a Springfield Loaded model, started with it. I did all the standard accuracy tweaks everyone recommends, shimmed the gas system, Sadlak guide rod, NM piston and and bedded it in the stock. That resulted 1.5ish MOA at best but not really consistently. I then went to a Sage chassis and essentially made it an M39 EMR clone, I loved the rifle like this, other than being really heavy. I did a metric TON of load workups and FINALLY got a load together with 168 Amaxes that would shoot about 1 MOA fairly consistent but would still occasionally just launch a flyer for no apparent reason. It was extremely picky about the ammo needed to make it shoot good and I just eventually ran out of patience with it. I was neck turning brass and spending a ton of time on case prep and just got tired of it. I shot one 600 yard F Class Mid Range match with it and had a good time but it was just so brutal on how it treated the brass it was way too much work.

I sold the chassis and put it in a USGI fiberglass stock and just accepted it for what it is and enjoy it for that. I kept the Sadlak scope mount and occasionally throw an Aimpoint on it and shoot local 2 gun matches with it BHD Shugart style.  I really wanted to make it work because I love the platform but in a precision role I was never happy with it. I went down the 308 AR platform and built a precision rifle that will flat shoot and not be as picky about it.

Hope this helps, this was my experience with one. Someone could maybe go with a good barrel with less tight of a chamber than my Loaded has and see better results but I just didn't pursue it any further.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:53:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HuntinBuddy80:

View Quote
That's definitely what I do want to avoid. I do love your dedication though! That seems like a lot of work for 1.5MOA. Not to mention the dedicated time and research invested into developing a load that will make a factional difference. I completely understand how that can be exhausting. I'm glad you decided to keep the rifle and just enjoy it for what it is. Yeah, I think I'm going to plan for a bolt gun similar to the 700 SPS and also look at AR10 build options. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#7]
No problem. I spent a lot of time over at m14forums and those guys are a wealth of knowledge and they hold some of the same experiences. Thats not to say that somewhere out there someone doesn't have one that shoots lights out, this was just my experience. I wanted it to work oh so bad but I just couldn't make it to where I was happy with it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:51:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10MMGuy] [#8]
Originally Posted By GHOS7:
I'm seriously planning and working on the drawing board for a precision bolt or DMR platform. I've been taking my time with the research due to me having two AR projects underway currently, 1 RECCE and 1 SBR build that I sent my form 1 out for last month. With that being said all my firearms are relatively practical and meticulously thought out while considering factors like my environment/AO, parts availability, ammo availability, etc.

I originally started looking at DMR options because I live in a large city in Texas, and wanted something versatile that would be practical in the "worst case scenario shit hits the fan lock up the wife and kids" type situation and also practical for hunting and recreational events/competitions also perhaps. But even though this is a self loading dedicated DMR I cannot determine rather it will be absolutely more practical than a bolt gun. Especially something like the R7 SPS Tactical or Howa 1500.

Do I need to be talked out of the M1A? I think my love for that platform and the nostalgia is clouding my judgement.
View Quote

Just out of curiosity have you given some thought about a Mossburg Patrol rifle in .308, it is short 18" barrel, lighter weight, adjustable stock LOP (Kid or small adult friendly), magazine fed in 5,10,20, or 25 rounds, M14, M1A, or AR10 PMAGS. Just food for thought, no build time, cost is easy on the wallet.

-EDIT-  sorry I just saw that this was in precision rifles thread, please excuse my brain fart, and interrupting.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to be a huge fan of the m1a/ m14 style rifle, take a look at my username for reference. I thought that platform rifle could be configured to do just about any rifle you could want with a rifle.

After owning multiple, take it from me, for a precision rig don't waste your time. I've swapped over to ARs and bolt guns now and will never look back. For legit precision work, go bolt, for a fun DMR/ plinker go AR style. It's much easier and cheaper to build and maintain these rifles when any kind of "precision" is desired.

Just my opinion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top