Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:21:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Euronymous] [#2]
[URL=http://s302.photobucket.com/user/Euronymous_666/media/20170816_164824_zpszowc51qr.jpg.html][/URL
does that count?
Savage b17 3 shots  at 50yd..lol
Wish my obr shot that well?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Would all of these be approved bags? It was mentioned that the Armageddon X-wing had a "V", but it's not different than the Midway small bag or the Wiebad Barricade bag...or any bag really; if you apply pressure in the middle the sides will tend to rise. They all will require hand pressure, and likely less than the triad Wedgie, which is approved. Not looking to be argumentative, just trying to get some clarification and perhaps discussion going. I'd hate to use any equipment that isn't approved.

Referenced cartridge is a 260 Remington.

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Most bags allowed are the size of your hand. No big V-bags
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:30:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By akethan:
Most bags allowed are the size of your hand. No big V-bags
View Quote
Listed approved bag dimensions
AccuracyFirst- 8x5x2"
Crosstac- 6"
Triad Red Tac- 6x4"
Triad Wedgie- 6x3.5"

Dimensions of bags posted above:
Armageddon 7x6x1.25"
Midway- 7.5x5.5x2"
Wiebad Barricade- 7x3.5x1.25"

Not pictured, but I think I've seen it used:
Tab Gear- 5.5x7x2"

So, is it safe to assume that the bags that I posted are allowed? When I think of formed "V" style bags, I think of what would be common in F class or benchrest style shooting. Rigid, formed bags that cradle the rifle without any pressure or manipulation by the non firing hand, which isn't what I would classify the bags that I inquired about as. But, as I stated in my IM, it's your thread and challenge, so you establish the rules. I'm just looking for clarity.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Use this bag. Wiebad Barricade- 7x3.5x1.25"
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Use this bag. Wiebad Barricade- 7x3.5x1.25"
View Quote
Are all of the bags allowed? That's the question.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:56:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 30Caliber] [#10]
Made an attempt today with my Savage 110 that I picked up used on the cheap.  257 Roberts Ackley Improved.  Who knows who's barrel it is.  The Weaver K10 scope came with it.

Ideal 257312 cast bullet.  GC and PC'd.  15.2gr 2400.  It wants to do it, but I need to weed out the fliers.  Top left is just over 1" and center one is about 7/8".  I may cherry pick some bullets and make another pass at it.  Otherwise, we'll switch over to some Sierra's or Speer TNTs and just get it done.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Has anyone made it with cast bullets before?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

Are all of the bags allowed? That's the question.
View Quote
No
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Can you explain why? Not just for me, but to help others out.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:51:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akethan] [#13]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
Can you explain why? Not just for me, but to help others out.
View Quote
I'm not dragging this on with you any further . Hundreds of shooters have managed to work with it.

Shoot with the approved bags or don't.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:53:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#14]

I'm not dragging this on with you any further . Hundreds of shooters have managed to work with it.

View Quote
FYI...the Midway bag that was pictured has been used and is visible in multiple entries that you've approved. This is why there are comments about your decision on the bag as being "silly". What you allow vs don't makes zero sense and you're not consistent. I'll use the bags that I've got on hand that are comparable or the same as you've previously approved. If that's not acceptable, then all of the previous entries using comparable bags (and there are a lot) should be considered voided.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 6:28:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 30Caliber:
Made an attempt today with my Savage 110 that I picked up used on the cheap.  257 Roberts Ackley Improved.  Who knows who's barrel it is.  The Weaver K10 scope came with it.

Ideal 257312 cast bullet.  GC and PC'd.  15.2gr 2400.  It wants to do it, but I need to weed out the fliers.  Top left is just over 1" and center one is about 7/8".  I may cherry pick some bullets and make another pass at it.  Otherwise, we'll switch over to some Sierra's or Speer TNTs and just get it done.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88780/IMG_0279-289982.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88780/IMG_0278-289983.JPG

Has anyone made it with cast bullets before?
View Quote
Don't think so. Make a formal entry in the other thread.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 5:35:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 30Caliber] [#16]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:

Don't think so. Make a formal entry in the other thread.
View Quote
This is going to be tough with cast bullets.  Hit the range at 8a.m.  I got rid of the big fliers by culling the bullets I had, but things opened up a bit after coming up from 15.2gr to 15.0gr.  The "good" groups were 1.25".  It probably didn't help that I fumbled my carefully sorted box of loaded ammo and lost track of the 3 foulers I had in there made from stuff I was going to remelt.  Won't make that mistake again.  Going to try down a little lower next time and hopefully that will tighten things up.  My 16 pcs of real 257Rob brass seem to shoot better than the 12 reformed 6mmRem cases.

Ran outta good bullets, so I spent the morning casting.  That mold only has one hole, so it's slow going, but I drop 2 then pour a 9mm double mold to keep busy.  I have enough now to make probably 3 more attempts at this point.

This is my new quest.  2 attempts so far.  Please put me on the call-out list.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I have been following this thread for some time gathering the nerve to post anything worthy of some of the marksman we have on this site.
Besides lacking precision shooting skills, I haven't had the equipment to even get close until now.
I do have a question on the front rest I could use.
Would this be allowed?

When measuring, we are to measure out to out of the grease ring then deduct 1 bullet diameter, isn't that the same as out side to inside of the grease ring of the max spread? Is there a reason we are to measure this way? Just curious.

I have a new stick that is showing some promise & we have a ARF member new to my AO at my place this weekend. I'm hoping to shoot this challenge with him.
Here's the rifle.

Here's the early results.

Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Plank_Spanker:
I have been following this thread for some time gathering the nerve to post anything worthy of some of the marksman we have on this site.
Besides lacking precision shooting skills, I haven't had the equipment to even get close until now.
I do have a question on the front rest I could use.
Would this be allowed?
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10620666_10205422668152354_8863582370582857758_n.jpg?oh=1f0eeacd276f633bd1d02f1260b44906&oe=5A586644

When measuring, we are to measure out to out of the grease ring then deduct 1 bullet diameter, isn't that the same as out side to inside of the grease ring of the max spread? Is there a reason we are to measure this way? Just curious.

I have a new stick that is showing some promise & we have a ARF member new to my AO at my place this weekend. I'm hoping to shoot this challenge with him.
Here's the rifle.
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20292620_10214503917057901_13431044094378746_n.jpg?oh=df9aeff0333d87f5c380d828e9796323&oe=5A2A57D6

Here's the early results.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20914222_10214772667696499_7364973474494686705_n.jpg?oh=89943779c98dd27c1ef0a96796797499&oe=5A268586
View Quote
The front rest is fine. The rear rest is not.  

Measure from the outside edges of the two furthest grease rings and deduct the bullet.  Your above measurement is only picking up half the bullet diameter.

You may also want to try On Target
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#19]

The front rest is fine. The rear rest is not.  

Measure from the outside edges of the two furthest grease rings and deduct the bullet.  Your above measurement is only picking up half the bullet diameter.

You may also want to try On Target
View Quote
Ok thanks, I knew the rear rest was not compliant.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm so confused now...This bag was approved, but the small bags that I posted above would be in question?

Seems like it would be much clearer if the rules stated no benchrest style "rabbit eared" bags or bags that don't require hand pressure for supporting the rifle during firing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#22]
The GAHTF is going to have another MOA competition soon.  Hopefully that will bring some more posts your way.

Don't worry superjlarge.... there will be some legal rear bags you can borrow.  Or at least some old socks and bag of beans ;)
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By GAhunter95:
The GAHTF is going to have another MOA competition soon.  Hopefully that will bring some more posts your way.

Don't worry superjlarge.... there will be some legal rear bags you can borrow.  Or at least some old socks and bag of beans ;)
View Quote
I think I'm good. Based on what's been approved, I think all of mine are legal.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:39:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: robpiat] [#25]
These are the two types of rear bags I use most often. Are they OK? Both require pressure to support the gun.

https://www.milehighshooting.com/tab-gear-str8-str8-laced-bag/

or

https://www.amazon.com/Wiebad-LLC-Mini-Range-Cube/dp/B017MGNDW6
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
So where are all these 1/2 MOA Tikkas? Not trying to call them out, but I keep hearing about how amazing accuracy is out of them, but no recent takers.

I bought a T3x Stainless Lite and it shoots 1.25-1.50 MOA 3 shot groups. Acceptable for hunting but nothing special. Obviously the CTR should be more accurate, but I'm just looking for groups. I've had people tell me their CTR shoots sub .1 MOA but obviously could not back that up.

Honestly if I knew my rifle shot the way it does before buying (purchased new), I would have bought a Remington receiver and built something off a Remage for close to the same price.
View Quote
The GA HTF just held their 3rd annual MOA Challenge shoot.

A Tikka with a ~$300 scope did a 0.525 MOA.  His best group was 0.331" iirc
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 11:02:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jpgolffl] [#27]
Originally Posted By JmacAr:
Consider this my placeholder, but I have a question regarding the rear bag...

This is the only bag that I have and I don't remember who made it so I can't give you the website URL.

**Edit** Just checked the link earlier in this thread, 100% sure it's this bag: http://www.triadtactical.com/Red-Tac-Gear-Rear-Bag.html

Just want to know if the results will be official or un-official

Picture next to my shoe to give a size reference.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2yy9grb.jpg  
View Quote
Too big
View Quote
Hate to bring up old $hit but isn't this rear bag in the actual example of how to do this challenge the exact same size (maybe bigger)as the bag you are saying is too big?

I can nearly guarantee that the a2 style stock in the pic is larger than the shoe in the other pic. Using that for scale...How in God's name can one bag be approved and one not be approved because it's too large? Also, I can't imagine why a monopod being used with the hinge engaged and a balled up fist grasping it for support can't be used in the SPR class. That is exerting MORE human control over the rifle than using one of the randomly "approved" bags.....  And one front rest is fine but if you put a towel over it it is not? This is bizzare
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 1:24:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akethan] [#28]

Hundreds of shooters have managed to work with it.

View Quote
A folded up monopod and your fist or a small bag would be fine as long as that is the way you really shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#29]

A folded up monopod and your fist or a small bag would be fine as long as that is the way you really shoot it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Ok, I was going off of previous ruling after someone asked about fisting the folded monopod....We are going to need MOA all day lawyers to figure all of this out.

Monopods are not approved even if it supported by your hand.
As for "as long as thats really how you shoot it" goes, I'm pretty sure that applies to all entries. Anyone could easily use a bench rest set up and then take a pic of a rear bag and call it a day. For that matter they could shoot it at 50 yards and get .25 moa and take a pic at 100 and take 1st place. I'm not really into that so we should be good.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#30]
If y'all can, update your older (<June '17) entries with Imgur or Arfcom hosting.

I redid my Service entry on page 9, spring '15. I think I need to redo my Bolt entry from a few months later.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
So where are all these 1/2 MOA Tikkas? Not trying to call them out, but I keep hearing about how amazing accuracy is out of them, but no recent takers.

I bought a T3x Stainless Lite and it shoots 1.25-1.50 MOA 3 shot groups. Acceptable for hunting but nothing special. Obviously the CTR should be more accurate, but I'm just looking for groups. I've had people tell me their CTR shoots sub .1 MOA but obviously could not back that up.

Honestly if I knew my rifle shot the way it does before buying (purchased new), I would have bought a Remington receiver and built something off a Remage for close to the same price.
View Quote
I plan to do my moa all day target this coming Friday. Here’s a target from last week. Two 10 shot groups with handloads from my CTRAttachment Attached File

.5 inch squares for reference
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 10:26:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jpgolffl] [#32]
I've shot this a couple of times aiming to get something at least in the 0.7's. I keep screwing it up and ending up just under MOA. Not bad but I know I can do better. I've shot plenty of .5 groups but lately it has been a little tougher. Maybe the cooler weather? Fri was kind of windy and I couldn't get real comfortable but was shooting decent. Ruined a .7ish average with two pulls and one really bad shot on the last group. Damnit...

Home built Mega MKM with Larue 18" stealth, Leupold MK4 3.5-10, tactical yoga mat.

Without the one bad miss....(a scope over adjust changed POI on 4/5)

With the bad miss... I'm blaming the ammo or the powder or the weather or something .

Link Posted: 11/19/2017 3:54:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: assaultdog0351] [#33]
Put in an entry, but after looking at all the bag problems, is my sock filled with sand too big? Also, I did my math with 1.047 not the math that was listed in the rules... I normally read rules after the fact...

Link Posted: 11/21/2017 3:23:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LaRue_Tactical] [#34]
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Yep, very consistent POI. I bet that 25 round aggregate is still under MOA.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By LaRue_Tactical:
"Originally Posted By jpgolffl:
Well I was hoping for something averaging .7 and beat it! Shot with mono pod hinge disengaged.

<snip>

https://preview.ibb.co/mJjcf6/IMG_5466.jpg[/url]
upload pics direct link
SPR- JPgolffl,  Home built mega MKM,  Larue stealth 18 inch,  Leupold MK4 3.5–10,  tactical yoga mat. 0.58 MOA"

Very consistent.

View Quote
Thank you sir. I actually went back and scored it manually and got 0.55 MOA. I seriously can't imagine why anyone would spend $500 on a super high end barrel. This thing was $225 and this target was shot with roughly 200 rounds since the last cleaning. Excellent barrel my friend.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 12:06:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LaRue_Tactical] [#37]
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 12:14:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By LaRue_Tactical:

Thanks for hanging in there and knocking out a great showing.  

I'm tickled to see there are a handful of LaRue barrels on the latest, last page of the 1 MOA thread.

View Quote
Yea man. Something I had to learn is that the difference between shooting 1/2 MOA and 1.3 MOA with a gas gun is literally millimeters of tension and position in your muscles. It''s such a delicate balance of controlling the rifle but not muscling the rifle that it can drive you nuts.

Shot this one at 400 yards today. I'm nothing close to an experienced longish range shooter but this was close to being an amazing 400 yard group. Squares are 1" and I remember readjusting after 2 shots which sent the other three left. Ridiculous consistency though and still well under MOA. Shot a 5 round group of .8 at 200 as well.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 12:35:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By jpgolffl:

Yea man. Something I had to learn is that the difference between shooting 1/2 MOA and 1.3 MOA with a gas gun is literally millimeters of tension and position in your muscles. It''s such a delicate balance of controlling the rifle but not muscling the rifle that it can drive you nuts.

Shot this one at 400 yards today. I'm nothing close to an experienced longish range shooter but this was close to being an amazing 400 yard group. Squares are 1" and I remember readjusting after 2 shots which sent the other three left. Ridiculous consistency though and still well under MOA. Shot a 5 round group of .8 at 200 as well.
https://preview.ibb.co/myBj5G/IMG_5490.jpg
View Quote
That's a great group @ 400 yards!

Good shooting.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 1:58:48 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote
Eeeyup!
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 2:04:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Someday.

M4gery with red dot + rear aperture and a new load.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 12:52:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: assaultdog0351] [#43]
Can  we shoot this at 2 or 300yd?

Shot one in low light with my headlights on the target and the reticle illuminated. Groups opened up a tad, but the biggest issue I had was eye fatigue. I had an incredibly hard time getting my to focus on the reticle and it was burning me out. Didn't beat my previous groups so not worth posting up anywhere but here.

Link Posted: 12/17/2017 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By assaultdog0351:
Can  we shoot this at 2 or 300yd?

Shot one in low light with my headlights on the target and the reticle illuminated. Groups opened up a tad, but the biggest issue I had was eye fatigue. I had an incredibly hard time getting my to focus on the reticle and it was burning me out. Didn't beat my previous groups so not worth posting up anywhere but here.

https://i.imgur.com/NXmaxL2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/b1WnVEZ.jpg
View Quote
Yes.

Try bigger targets. Aim Small-Miss Small can only go so far.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 3:01:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akethan] [#45]
Put 80 rounds through my UU kit with Tranquilo in about 1/2 hour today.  This was shot 52 rounds in.   One bad shot on my part. Still managed 1.194 moa

The Armageddon Gear Suppressor Mirage Cover makes a nice hand warmer as well.

Link Posted: 12/21/2017 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#46]
@Gunslinger808

The point of 5, 5-shot groups is to prove that you and your rifle are capable of One MOA... "All Day".

Is that an older 700?
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah, I can understand what it’s about, just seems like a lot to me just for bragging rights.

And yes, it’s an old 700 PSS I picked up about 25 years ago, been a good shooter, but since I switched over to 6.5X284 it hasn’t seen any use, yesterday was the first time I’ve fired it in at least 2 years.

If it’s permitted, once the holidays are over, I’ll shoot the course of fire with the pellet rifle I practice with to keep in shape, it’s amazingly accurate.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#48]
It's not just bragging rights. People make purchases off of discussions and claims off forums. So real money is on the line. Many people may gets disappointed when they hear amazing accuracy reports about a rifle, only to discover that claimed "accuracy" consisted of cherry picked groups.

There was a brief time on SH where one was even allowed to post a picture of a single group, but had to shoot a 6x5 to prove accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:21:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Gunslinger808:
Yeah, I can understand what it’s about, just seems like a lot to me just for bragging rights.
View Quote
Why the heck else would anyone post groups on an internet forum?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 1:45:10 AM EDT
[#50]

Why the heck else would anyone post groups on an internet forum?
View Quote
Truth in that, I’m just such a cheap sob, I really need to start reloading .308 again.

Darn Federal match has gotten pretty darn pricey.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top