Originally Posted By LaRue_Tactical:
Akethan,

Your UU  308 entry ...

Did you shoot from the top down?
Just curious why 1st group was in the middle
And why it got tighter as you shot
ML
View Quote
I was getting tired and spanked that out after a day of shooting.  Don't chase your groups.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#3]
My last post in the challenge thread might have left one to consider not scoring it until I shoot it post load development... However, my divorce has gotten to a point where I removed all firearms from the house and will not be shooting it again for a few months to a year..

With that being said, can my old groups be replaced by my new groups in the charts?
https://www.ar15.com/forums/precision-rifles/-ARFCOM-1-MOA-ALL-DAY-LONG-Challenge-/17-51/&page=29#i96585
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By akethan:

I was getting tired and spanked that out after a day of shooting.  Don't chase your groups.  
View Quote
Why did you get rid of the other target that was first posted? It was a better score. I went to look at it again and the file is gone?
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 2:59:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Can I use the cabelas rear bag?
It is same size as triad wedgie (I don't have the triad)

Here it is next to crosstac squeeze bag

Link Posted: 1/17/2018 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By patchouli:
Can I use the cabelas rear bag?
It is same size as triad wedgie (I don't have the triad)

Here it is next to crosstac squeeze bag

https://i.imgur.com/VhLMiSW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/g4WkaPC.jpg
View Quote
Probably not but I'd like to see a picture of it under your rifle as it would be used.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Can I have a picture of the triad wedgie under a rifle with an a1 stock too?
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm hoping for more entries once people build rifles this year. Especially with the new custom bolt gun actions coming out. I've ordered a custom action and barrel from the same smith that turned my RPR barrel.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 7:10:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LaRue_Tactical] [#9]
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Hmmmm, LaRue barrels still hold SPR Division 7 of the Top 11 ...
Apparently my barrels work well even when skinned down to a carry-able diameter.  Bolt actions better look out.
View Quote
Pics or
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#11]
El cheapos  are accurate as hell too.
Virtually every modern machined gun is capable.

Johnnyreloading on YouTube is using a 220 dollar Thompson bolt gun to shoot half moa.

My cheap brownells bbl is shooting sub moa even during the randomness of load development (as seen below).

We are truly in the salad days of guns!   It's great.

As for the list here, there are some on it that are proven fibbers and then there are tons more people shooting it that want to impress their manufacturer's owner. Maybe they'll get something out of it. Or maybe just for internet high fives.

Fun to shoot anyway
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:49:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Hmmmm, LaRue barrels still hold SPR Division 7 of the Top 11 ...
Apparently my barrels work well even when skinned down to a carry-able diameter.  Bolt actions better look out.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By patchouli:
El cheapos  are accurate as hell too.
Virtually every modern machined gun is capable.

Johnnyreloading on YouTube is using a 220 dollar Thompson bolt gun to shoot half moa.

My cheap brownells bbl is shooting sub moa even during the randomness of load development (as seen below).

https://i.imgur.com/Ja53AC4.jpg

We are truly in the salad days of guns!   It's great.

As for the list here, there are some on it that are proven fibbers and then there are tons more people shooting it that want to impress their manufacturer's owner. Maybe they'll get something out of it. Or maybe just for internet high fives.

Fun to shoot anyway
View Quote
Not wasting any extra targets either!  Nice shooting
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 1:03:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keyst0ne] [#14]
I don't see it mentioned in the rules --

1. Do the ranges specified for division constitute minimum range or ONLY range? In other words can I choose to shoot the challenge at 200yd and calculate MOA accordingly? I feel I can measure more precisely when getting into the 1/2 MOA range if they aren't all on top of each other like at 100.

2. I assume that for calculation (I'm using OnTarget) we can use actual rather than nominal range for calculation? My club's "100yd" line ranges at 104.2yd from the front of the shooting bench to the target stands, 198yd to the 200yd line stands and 304 to the 300yd stands.
[Removed question 3 and photos to move to the main thread]
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Keyst0ne:
I don't see it mentioned in the rules --

1. Do the ranges specified for division constitute minimum range or ONLY range? In other words can I choose to shoot the challenge at 200yd and calculate MOA accordingly? I feel I can measure more precisely when getting into the 1/2 MOA range if they aren't all on top of each other like at 100.

2. I assume that for calculation (I'm using OnTarget) we can use actual rather than nominal range for calculation? My club's "100yd" line ranges at 104.2yd from the front of the shooting bench to the target stands, 198yd to the 200yd line stands and 304 to the 300yd stands.

3. Finally, I'm using graph paper with 0.1" gradations -- is a tape measure or caliper picture still required?

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-33GHG7s/0/ae59f8f9/L/i-33GHG7s-L.jpghttps://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-6Zq4NNS/0/6c78c39a/M/i-6Zq4NNS-M.jpghttps://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-xCFR2RQ/0/0a66f8d7/M/i-xCFR2RQ-M.jpg
View Quote
I don't know the answer to a single one of your questions but I have questions for you.

What trigger do you have in your gun?
What barrel is it and who finished it?
Your target height seems extreme from the picture.  Is it needed due to the range set up?  Do you see sway in the target?

Great shooting and nice looking rifle.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JessBrie:
What trigger do you have in your gun? Stock Accuracy International 2-stage trigger, 3.5lb 1st stage, 12oz 2nd stage. Trigger quality > trigger weight
What barrel is it and who finished it? Accurate Ordinance 26" Bartlein
Your target height seems extreme from the picture.  Is it needed due to the range set up?  Do you see sway in the target?
Target stands are the clubs -- I believe the intent is to ensure that any rifle round impacts the 300yd berm regardless of how much it drops after a 100yd zero. It's not an issue in practice, and there are wedges to prevent rocking.

Great shooting and nice looking rifle.Thanks!
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
Good shooting and clearly a very repeatable rifle.  I am curious what the change was that made the major difference in point of impact on the second target.  I wish I could stop by occasionally just to see if I could catch one of those shootists being grumpy about something trivial to remind them that they get to shoot beautiful precision guns for a living.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:34:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LaRue_Tactical] [#19]
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 2:27:24 AM EDT
[#21]
@LaRue_Tactical

The link for your 1 MOA target is dead.
And it doesn't download as a PDF when I visit your site.
How can I get a copy of this target?
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#23]
How often do they update the list?

I was on it, but now I am not...  Did things change??

Whaditi miss!  
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 12:14:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#24]
The bolt guns are still going going to make it hard on the gas guns.

From 2 weeks ago when confirming a load for a rifle that’s been in the safe for a few months.

Attempted the MOA challenge with it this past weekend but only managed .52moa. Had some wind moving the target stand, so I’d like to repeat and see what the rifle/shooter combo can do.

Curious if there will be a new thread started one day. Most of the post pics were submitted with Photobucket, and they aren’t available anymore. In addition, the list needs some TLC, as it’s all jacked up, and has been that way since at least Oct. of last year.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 2:07:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got a few barrels coming in and should be able to make another series of entries. My Krieger on my DMR is shot out so I will reshoot once I replace it.

I also have a Valkyrie barrel from JP coming. And a 6.5 CM from PVA.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:
How often do they update the list?

I was on it, but now I am not...  Did things change??

Whaditi miss!  
View Quote
IM sent.   What division?
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:36:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#27]
@JessBrie

From the main MOA thread:
"Do you notice much for mirage shift with the suppressor? What cover are you using and does it seem to help with heat dissipation or only as a protection against touching the hot can?"

I use a silencerco cover (here).  I never really shoot my rifle enough to get the can crazy hot.  I mostly use the cover to help protect it from scratches etc.  They do help with mirage, but I've never run it hard enough to get into serious mirage issues.  They are basically an insulator...so once the can gets hot it stays hot longer.  So no, it does not help with dissipating heat...it makes it worse.  That's the downside.  They do help you remove the can without burning your hand though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 8:52:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By newBMowner:
@JessBrie

From the main MOA thread:
"Do you notice much for mirage shift with the suppressor? What cover are you using and does it seem to help with heat dissipation or only as a protection against touching the hot can?"

I use a silencerco cover (here).  I never really shoot my rifle enough to get the can crazy hot.  I mostly use the cover to help protect it from scratches etc.  They do help with mirage, but I've never run it hard enough to get into serious mirage issues.  They are basically an insulator...so once the can gets hot it stays hot longer.  So no, it does not help with dissipating heat...it makes it worse.  That's the downside.  They do help you remove the can without burning your hand though.
View Quote
Great Save! I think they make mirage worse. I use one with a thermal and if I get wild it whites the optic a bit at night. That being said humidity will add to the level. The old timers used to cut a piece of card board the length of the barrel while shooting prairie poodles. My AWC is scratched up pretty bad from being carried onmany night trips after the feral pigs. Now I do think the can cossies help dampen sounds when you're stalking pig's at night.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 11:15:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LaRue_Tactical] [#29]
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:02:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Something may be askew with the measuring on that last group, over in the official thread.
View Quote
At the top of the target it said  .5 inch grid. But my eyes aren't the best any more and this palm gadget doesn't always zoom the best.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:12:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#31]
Something may be askew with the measuring on that last group, over in the official thread.
View Quote
If you are talking about these groups, all of the measurements seem wrong to me.  The group in the lower left corner is every bit of 1.5 inches!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Perhaps his printer isn't calibrated ?
View Quote
That's why I use a ruler or calipers.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 2:05:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#34]
View Quote
Perhaps...  but that page is 8.5 inches wide and 14 boxes wide (printed) with 1.5 box (width) margins on the right and left (estimated) for a total of 17 boxes wide for the page (left edge to right edge)...  17 boxes x 1/2 inch (per box) = 8.5 inches!  The calibration seems to be reasonably "on the money" to me...  just sayin'...  
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Reorx:
Perhaps...  but that page is 8.5 inches wide and 14 boxes wide (printed) with 1.5 box (width) margins on the right and left (estimated) for a total of 17 boxes wide for the page (left edge to right edge)...  17 boxes x 1/2 inch (per box) = 8.5 inches!  The calibration seems to be reasonably "on the money" to me...  just sayin'...  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Reorx:
Damnit you must have gotten bored or just returned from GD and needed some square therapy.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
Damnit you must have gotten bored or just returned from GD and needed some square therapy.
View Quote
yeah, that's the ticket!  LOL!  
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:32:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#37]
Center-to-center minus bullet diameter? My guess as to why they're wrong.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:56:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LaRue_Tactical] [#39]
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 4:55:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Defender3] [#40]
View Quote
Maybe he used the wrong bullet diameter or entered the wrong grid distance in the program? I measured them in OnTarget and came up with a wider spread and a larger overall MOA. At least he's trying!
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:09:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#42]

I hesitate to point it out as a few on here remember the young guy that went flippers over my off-the-cuff measuring comment a few years back.

View Quote
A week ago you said placeholder bump in the official thread.  Why are there no groups yet?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:53:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Defender3] [#43]
I hesitate to point it out as a few on here remember the young guy that went flippers over my off-the-cuff measuring comment a few years back.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Defender3:

Maybe he used the wrong bullet diameter or entered the wrong grid distance in the program? I measured them in OnTarget and came up with a wider spread and a larger overall MOA. At least he's trying!

We need a lightning rod emoji...
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 7:52:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#45]
There is a reason the dinosaurs are extinct ...

Larue forgot to feed them?

View All Quotes

A week ago you said placeholder bump in the official thread.  Why are there no groups yet?

Link Posted: 6/22/2018 8:50:32 AM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Because they were tasty?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes

Hard to feed critters when you go from cracking the whip to doing fun airplane stuff
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Freakinout:
Hard to feed critters when you go from cracking the whip to doing fun airplane stuff
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Freakinout:

If they were so tasty ain't that what employees are for? Boy I sure hope Larue learned from that business model.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#49]
So, I’m in the process of designing a few rear bags. My GF sews, so I’ve got someone to complete the hard tasks for me. While trying to find out what bags are allowed (ongoing theme), I stumbled upon a few entries that left me puzzled.

The use of the large triad bag has been used in a few instances, but it seems like it’s way too big, right? It’s larger than a lot of bags that have been proposed or used that weren’t allowed.

Also, while skimming through page 1 of the challenge thread to look at rules, I noticed that Mike P points out in his submission that it didn’t meet the criteria for a full submission, yet it is currently #1 in the SPR category.

Impressive shooting, but skepticism grew when looking over his other entries in Akethans original post. He shot with a rear bag that was ruled as too large, but reshot later, with NO REAR BAG per his post, and produced an even better group! Posting a .503moa entry and staying it was shot with no rear bag at 100yds really made me question the authenticity of his other posts. Maybe it’s just me...

The challenge is fun, but damn, after looking over the whole thread, there really seems to be some bias and leeway for certain entries.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 5:48:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Defender3] [#50]
I want to re-shoot my entry but want to confirm, is this Triad bag the one approved as the "Traid Wedgie" or is it too large?

TIA.

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top