Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2017 1:23:28 AM EDT
I had the new Lyman auto trickler in my cart, then I saw a video with a Hornady L&L progressive press with a L&L powder measure mounted on one of the stations.  I have been wanting to get a progressive press for a while now.  And I am curious about the Hornady powder measure.

I pulled out my old (really old) RCBS uniflow powder measure.  I haven't used it in a decade (been spooning and trickling).  I tried to load Varget tonight and to say it was inaccurate would be.... too kind.  I couldn't even get it to throw within 2.0gr of my target.  Here is a quick list of a few tries.

Target load was 46.5gr

- 47.4 (!)
- 44 (!)

So I am scrapping the RCBS completely.  But this has me wondering.  Are all powder throw measures inherently inaccurate?  Or are the newer (specifically Hornady) ones better?  Would a Hornady measure mounted on a Hornady progressive press give me accurate (+/- 0.1gr) throws?  

Otherwise I'll stay on a single stage press and buy an auto trickler and scale.  I'm trying to speed up my loading a little bit.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:30:45 AM EDT
[#1]
With extruded powders yes. But a progressive press with one of the new electronic powder measures is nice. Throw the charge with your old powder measure. Place on the scales and it slows the trickle down to where you have a more accurate weight. With less errors. I always set either my Hornady or rcbs low and then trickle to my desired weight.
But I use a turret press or single stage for my precision work. Except for the  .223 and it's working pretty good to pull the powder measure off and drop my charge through the funnel. But then again I'm kinda old fashioned and revert back to a beam scale for my load development.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Autotrickler is the way to go.  I've got the auto thrower on mine and an Area 419 base so I've sunk a lot of money into it, but it is quick and extremely accurate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top