Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2017 9:21:50 PM EDT
What is the best bang for the buck in an annealer. I’m not really equipped to diy unless it’s really straightforward.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:49:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Best value is something like an Annealeez. I own one and it works.

Best annealer by far is the AMP unit (Annealing Made Perfect) but they’re $1000.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:04:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WVHick:
Best value is something like an Annealeez. I own one and it works.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:11:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: robpiat] [#3]
I’ve dug through the thread in the reloading forum and think I’m going to take the plunge and build one. Building the box was the most intimidating thing for me but I found something off the shelf that will work
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Best value is the Amp.

It is as repeatable as you can get.

Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By robpiat:
What is the best bang for the buck in an annealer. I’m not really equipped to diy unless it’s really straightforward.
View Quote
Honestly, the best value if you're using a torch is a socket wrench, torch, and an optional pan of water.

The problem with torch-based machines is that you need to set the time cases are exposed to flame, and hope that the flame from your torch remains constant. Most folks use two kinds of Tempilac which can tell them when the shoulder/neck has reached high enough temps while the base remains below acceptable temps.

What the machines do is automate the ongoing process - which is an advantage if everything remains stable - but setup is little different than using a torch and a socket wrench.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:20:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#6]
Annealeez around $275

Ken Light around $600

Giraud starts at $470

Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I like my Annealeez. No complaints, at all.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I’ve dug through the thread in the reloading forum and think I’m going to take the plunge and build one. Building the box was the most intimidating thing for me but I found something off the shelf that will work
View Quote
Track your time, materials, and mileage. (Please, if you don't mind)
Another thread on a diy build has lost its images. I might give it a go. For now I will use a drill with a socket, and a torch.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By zach_:
Another thread on a diy build has lost its images. I might give it a go. For now I will use a drill with a socket, and a torch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zach_:
Make sure you use tempilaq 750 on the inside of the neck and aim the torch at the shoulder. Do ten with the paint, timeing each one. Then have a clock with a second hand to time the rest. Otherwise you are just guessing.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Happy2shoot:

Make sure you use tempilaq 750 on the inside of the neck and aim the torch at the shoulder. Do ten with the paint, timeing each one. Then have a clock with a second hand to time the rest. Otherwise you are just guessing.
View Quote
That sounds like the plan. I have the Tempilaq.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
@robpiat

What did you find off the Shelf that would work?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm thinking Pc case or ammo can
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top