Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2017 7:15:42 AM EDT
Recently I tried to find any infirmation about powders, their specifics, how to use etc. I've found the article with piece of info about it. They say you should load apr. 90% of the case volume with powder because it needs room to flame properly. Then they talk about flattetened ball powder. By their opinion it is mostly used in shotguns to prevent powder movement to the wad so the wad is squeezing the powder load. Can anyone explain the reasons of this? Why there is no room in shotgun cartridges and why it is so bad if powder moves toward the wad in it?

Any advices about proper literature or articles are apreciated
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Orbitoclast:
Recently I tried to find any infirmation about powders, their specifics, how to use etc. I've found the article with piece of info about it. They say you should load apr. 90% of the case volume with powder because it needs room to flame properly. Then they talk about flattetened ball powder. By their opinion it is mostly used in shotguns to prevent powder movement to the wad so the wad is squeezing the powder load. Can anyone explain the reasons of this? Why there is no room in shotgun cartridges and why it is so bad if powder moves toward the wad in it?

Any advices about proper literature or articles are apreciated
View Quote

First time I tried to make a shotgun blank, i loaded the regular 27gr of WST, but left out the 1 1/8 oz of shot.  Instead of a spectacular bang, there was a pop and bunch of half burnt powder flying out of barrel behind the wad.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Orbitoclast:
Recently I tried to find any infirmation about powders, their specifics, how to use etc. I've found the article with piece of info about it. They say you should load apr. 90% of the case volume with powder because it needs room to flame properly.
View Quote

All of the good Varget loads I know of go crunch as the bullet is seated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top