Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2017 9:57:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: urbankaos04]
I'm looking for a pair of traditional scope rings for my 2-10x Weaver Tactical scope (30 mm tube). I have an SPR-E mount, but want to forego this mount and just go with traditional rings, as I don't really need the QD function of the SPR-E and want to save some weight. That Weaver scope is heavy.

The scope will be going on a 16" AR15 upper sporting a Rock Creek 1x8 5R nitrided barrel. This build is gonna be my first and only DMR-ish rifle. I will be using 77 gr CBC ammo, which has yielded 1.25 MOA 10-shot groups when using my buddy's higher powered Leupold scope. I don't know how I will fair with the 10x Weaver, but we will see.

I have no long distance experience and will be learning, as I go.

One last thing, what is the desired height-over-bore that I am looking for? I have never thought about HOB prior to getting into this type of shooting, so I don't know what I should be looking for here. I just received my copy of "Long Range Shooting Handbook: A Beginner's Guide to Precision Rifle Shooting," so, I hope to learn the basics with this book and via asking questions here.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:45:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Okay, so after some reading, I am going to need rings that will put the scope at 2.6" above the bore. I looked at Badger Ordinance, US OPTICS and some other companies, but, damn, they sure are expensive! I then started searching some not so Tier 1 companies and came across Warne. In using their product selection matrix, they suggested these:

Warne Ultra High Rings

What say you guys?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#2]
What are traditional  scope rings? Never heard the term before.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:30:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: urbankaos04] [#3]
Lol. Just plain old scope rings. I'm so used to seeing one-piece QD mounts that standard, non-QD rings are 'traditional' to me.

Have any suggestions, holmes??
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:34:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#4]
I'm a fan of Leupold Mark 4 30 mm rings (LINK)...  But without knowing how high your rail is above the bore, it is hard to make a ring height recommendation...  The High is 1.06" and Super High is 1.40" (top of rail to center axis of the tube).
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:41:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: urbankaos04] [#5]
Well, my upper is just a plain ol' flat top Daniel Defense AR15 upper.

ETA:

Agreed on the Mark IV rings. I have decided on getting those, but just gotta figure out what height to get.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:22:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#6]
I don't know how you came up with '2.6" above bore'...  most of us are concerned if the scope will clear the rifle at the objective end of the scope (with scope caps on).  To that end, I use an online Scope Ring Height and Clearance Calculator to get an idea of what is the minimum height necessary to get the job done...  have a look-see!

As a rough estimate, on a flat top upper, the ring height has to be at least 1/2 the OD of the objective with the scope cap on.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:59:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#7]
Rings by themselves may put your scope too far back.

I would recommend a mount  with some forward offset. Aero makes nice affordable mounts.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IB1V842?tag=vglnk-c102-20

Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Most people will want rings that put the centerline of the optic 1.25 to 1.6" over the rail.  I like Warne, Seekins, TPS, Leupold MK IV, and Nightforce rings.  Lot's of good options out there.  Most AR oriented optic mounts are designed around a 1.5" centerline.  Personally, I like them a little lower.  I'm using a Nightforce Unimount 1.125" height setup on my 18" GM barreled upper with the Weaver 2-10.  My other Weaver 2-10 is in a Larue SPR mount.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:25:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: urbankaos04] [#9]
Okay, look like I'll just end up using my LaRue SPR-E, after all. As popnfresh stated: "Rings by themselves may put your scope too far back. I would recommend a mount  with some forward offset. Aero makes nice affordable mounts."

jaqufrost: So, do you take into account H.O.B.? How important is that to you? Like, I said, I'm just barely getting around to start shooting longer distance, so I wanna make sure I dial in everything off the bat.

One last thing: How good are those Aero mounts? I may just want a non-qd mount.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 3:10:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By urbankaos04:

One last thing: How good are those Aero mounts? I may just want a non-qd mount.
View Quote
I was pretty impressed with the quality and fit of the one I have. It fit my upper like a glove with zero slop. Very nicely finished and light weight.
Very nice for $65.... or $165 for that matter, wish I would have tried one of these Aeros instead of my ADM Recon for almost 3x the price(QD adds to the price so not a fair comparison but I don't QD so..).
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't worry too much about height over bore.  I'm more worried about solid comfortable cheek weld.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I like Vortex Tactical rings they're heavy duty and stay put when tightened down. I put a set on my new RPR 308 and used the Wheeler scope alignment/lapping tools and they were perfectly aligned out of the box, no adjustment needed.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Check SWFA.com for inexpensive rings.    Look at their own SWFA brand
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top