Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Posted: 11/23/2011 9:41:46 AM EDT
Wife's been wanting to get a bow ever since she was a kid, and got to play with them at summer camp. We've kept our eyes open for a used recurve, or LH compound, but it seems most are beat to hell, too big/heavy, or pure garbage. Any recommendation for a brand/type that is about mid price range, and would work for a smaller southpaw?
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#1]
http://missionarchery.com/product/craze/

I havent used one but looks like it would work for you
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#2]
That or a Diamond Razors Edge.  I'm using my sons this season, and it's holding it's own.  You can get them ready to shoot for three hundred and change.  Just make sure her draw length is right (wingspan/2.5 is a good starting point).  A bit short is better than too long.  String slap sucks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.3riversarchery.com/Bows+Recurves+Samick+Sports+Sage+No+Tools+Take-Down+Recurve+Bow_c44_s155_p313_i2490X_product.html

This is a decent starter recurve.  The Samick Spikeman is a decent entry-level single-piece recurve; PSE sells it as the Blackhawk.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Is she wanting to bowhunt or just shoot for fun?  My 11y.o. son has a Mission Menace, and it does quite well for him (left-handed, too), but since he is growing, I would like to move him to a bow that has more than a 50lbs max draw weight so he can keep using it in high school and adulthood.  I'm thinking of a Diamond Razor Edge for him since it will go to 60# and he can use it until he is able to buy his own bow.  If I can talk him into it, this lefty Menace might be for sale.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://missionarchery.com/product/craze/

I havent used one but looks like it would work for you

My son has the Mission Menace and loves it.  I like the fact you can change the draw length and weight without changing any parts.  It's also extremely quiet if you intend to hunt with it.

Link Posted: 11/3/2011 4:32:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is she wanting to bowhunt or just shoot for fun?  My 11y.o. son has a Mission Menace, and it does quite well for him (left-handed, too), but since he is growing, I would like to move him to a bow that has more than a 50lbs max draw weight so he can keep using it in high school and adulthood.  I'm thinking of a Diamond Razor Edge for him since it will go to 60# and he can use it until he is able to buy his own bow.  If I can talk him into it, this lefty Menace might be for sale.

Just for fun. She has no qualms butchering animals (wore her HSUS shirt the last time we slaughtered chickens ). She's just not big into hunting. And the older I get (also a southpaw) the less hunting I do myself. So.... mostly for targets.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 7:17:11 AM EDT
[#7]
BEFORE YOU BUY A LEFTY BOW...... check her eye dominance!!!  She very well could be right eye dominant!!!  I've helped train a few archers thru the years, and some were lefties, all were cross dominant!!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
BEFORE YOU BUY A LEFTY BOW...... check her eye dominance!!!  She very well could be right eye dominant!!!  I've helped train a few archers thru the years, and some were lefties, all were cross dominant!!!

Left eye, as am I.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just for fun. She has no qualms butchering animals (wore her HSUS shirt the last time we slaughtered chickens ). She's just not big into hunting. And the older I get (also a southpaw) the less hunting I do myself. So.... mostly for targets.
In that case, I'd be inclined to suggest a take-down recurve with two sets of limbs.  35lbs for targets, 45lbs for hunting, should she get the itch to do it.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 6:36:01 AM EDT
[#10]
PSE just came out with a new youth to adult bow (PSE Rally) that goes from15-50, 18-60 or 20-70 pounds depending on what you want your max poundage to be and 18-31 inches drawlength at a pretty good price 299.00.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 6:52:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In that case, I'd be inclined to suggest a take-down recurve with two sets of limbs.  35lbs for targets, 45lbs for hunting, should she get the itch to do it.  

We had looked at a few recurves at a rummage sale, but they were beat to shit. Definitly piqued her interest though...
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 8:38:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Why 2 sets?  A 35# recurve is plenty of weight for deer-size game.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why 2 sets?  A 35# recurve is plenty of weight for deer-size game.

Well, here in Arkansas 40lbs is the minimum legal draw weight for hunting.

Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top