Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2011 8:47:39 PM EDT
Im anxiously awaiting the arrival of my first bow. With a whole lot of debate, settled on the mission craze. I'm petite and have no idea what my draw length/weight is going to be as I haven't even held a bow since hunter's safety 4 years ago. What im wondering, is what types of sights,rests....... work well with this particular bow as well as for newbs. also, ive heard a lot of debate on using rear sights. some people hate them (esp peeps) should i start with/without one and avoid a peep if i do? I hear a lot of good things about truglo sights. Any insight as to what model would be great for starting out?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Take it to a pro shop.
They'll take care of your draw length and cut your arrows to size.
Whisker Biscuit is a good choice for an arrow rest when it comes to a newb..(lol).
Welcome to the Tribe.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol thanks! any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 7:25:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Hello,

you do have a shooting partner dont you ??

if not going alone will be alittle rough but very doable .

you should see if you have any archery clubs as well
as bow /pro shops ,, these days they call everything a proshop
and they all come with experts to tell you what to have and do .

anyway good luck with the sport have over 35 yrs behind the bow
and past shop owner / cert nfaa instructor if i can help any send me a IM
or visit
www.archerytalk.com and go to forums there you will meet some good folks
but beware there is the highly know it all there too  .

TS2
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 1:30:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Awesome guys, thanks for all the help! Ill update you on my status later
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#8]
FINALLY got it LOL its been backordered since before xmas the bow guys at my local shop are pretty excited about helping me set it up

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Good deal!

I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but it's in the teens here with a small amount of snow on the ground, so I'm not even thinking about archery at the moment.

Same here xcept for the unusual 41 high for today im not even going to set it up for at least a couple months yet
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good deal!

I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but it's in the teens here with a small amount of snow on the ground, so I'm not even thinking about archery at the moment.

Get some pink arrows and launch em in the snow like I do.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good deal!

Get some pink arrows and launch em in the snow like I do.  

My buddy spraypaints his chevy orange for snowchery.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#13]
nice bow, good luck with it and have fun.

cute feet  
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Old thread, but as far as measuring wingspan, do it standing up against a wall.  Stand near a corner, extend your finger tip to the corner and then measure on the wall where the other fingertip lands.  Hold your arms out straight, but relaxed, without stretching.

Because if you use the tape measure on your body, the tape will curve around you and will read longer than you really are.

Then you can divide by 2.5 like said, or even better, subtract 15 inches from your wingspan and then divide by 2.  

For example 65 inch wingspan - 15 inches = 50 inches.  50 inches / 2 = 25 inch draw length.  Whereas the the divide by 2.5 method will say you have a 26 inch draw length.   When in doubt, go with the shorter draw length.  You only lose or gain 10 fps of arrow speed per inch of draw.  Better to have a slightly slower arrow that you can hit the bullseye consistently with than a slightly faster arrow that you struggle with because your draw length is a touch too long.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks to everyone helping out. I still havent completely set up the bow, but now that spring is here its one of the projects im hoping to complete soon
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I wish the Archery section of ARFCOM was more active like other areas. However, closer to bow season I find myself looking in it and tend to fall into old posts. This got my curiosity, did you ever get your bow setup for you and how you need/want it?

I want to get my wife a bow one of these days, she is always going to my Annual hunting group get together (food, drinks, and friendly Archery Tournament) she has always enjoyed it, but I can tell she'd rather be shooting with us then watching on the side lines.
Do you plan on hunting with it or do you plan on just shooting it for fun?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:15:23 AM EDT
[#17]
As you mentioned this section is dead. If you want an answer to that you will have to summon @Walking_Dead
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top