Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2014 3:48:29 PM EDT
Hey guys I'm new to the 3 gun seen and need some advice on how to get started and what equipment is good to use and a good shotgun to buy. Right now my rifle is my DPMS AR15 my pistol is a Rock Island 1911 9mm.

It seems like a lot of people compete with glocks for the mag capacity and the reliability of them,  but is it possible to compete and keep up with my pistol being a so gle stack mag? Also I'm in need of a good SEMI auto shot gun to compete with. I will have about a 500 price range to spend one shot gun would like to spend less of possible.

Lastly is a tactical vest/plate carrier a good way to go for carrying extra clips or is a belt a better way to go?

I'm open to all suggestions as I'm new to this.

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#1]
hi there,

read through the gear threads and specific threads for rifle, pistol, shotgun and you'll see hundreds of examples of what guys like to run and what works.  I'm sure you'll find something that rings true to you and from then on out it's just a matter of how to hide all the shit you'll be buying from your wife or girlfriend :)

also for me it worked best to decide what class I wanted to run and then went from there...the gear is pretty specific in some ways concerning the firearms when you look at either a tac ops, open...or heavy metal class.  

best of luck
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jriggs:
hi there,

read through the gear threads and specific threads for rifle, pistol, shotgun and you'll see hundreds of examples of what guys like to run and what works.  I'm sure you'll find something that rings true to you and from then on out it's just a matter of how to hide all the shit you'll be buying from your wife or girlfriend :)

also for me it worked best to decide what class I wanted to run and then went from there...the gear is pretty specific in some ways concerning the firearms when you look at either a tac ops, open...or heavy metal class.  

best of luck
View Quote

What are the the differences? I'm looking to start at the lowest most basic level to compete at with either iron sights or a small powered scope
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 10:52:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By jriggs:
hi there,

best of luck
View Quote

What are the the differences? I'm looking to start at the lowest most basic level to compete at with either iron sights or a small powered scope
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#4]
For pistol run what you have fgor right now. It won't hold you back at this point. For a shotgun on the cheap, there are 2 good options. 1: Stoeger M3000. Great shotgun, extremely low priced. It will need some mods to be right for 3gun, but you could do them 1 by 1 so you don't get hit so hard in the wallet right off the bat. 2: Mossberg 930 JM Pro. This is what I use. Comes ready for 3gun right out of the box, but does cost a little more than the Stoeger.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 12:50:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthyBlagga] [#5]
Good advice above.

SHOTGUN: If you can borrow a repeating 12ga (even a pump), then do so for your first match. If you are itching to buy one, get the Stoeger 3000 referenced above (read this discussion to learn everything you need), or jump up to a Mossberg 930 JM or Versa Max Tactical if you have the $$$. Run the shotgun stock until to can afford to add upgrades.
RIFLE: Run your basic DPMS AR15 with iron sights. Make sure you have a good 200 yard zero, and that it runs 100% reliably... an accurate and reliable gun will be worth much more than a fancy optic.
PISTOL: Run your 1911 for now. Just make sure you have a few spare magazines, and that the gun runs 100% reliably with all your magazines. Oh, and make sure you have a secure holster (Kydex is fine, avoid crappy generic ballistic nylon).

The above equipment would put you in Limited or Tactical Limited division.

Do NOT buy a tactical vest/plate carrier as it is not the best option for 3-Gun (but feel free to use if you already have one). If you don't already have pouches/shell caddies, just stuff your spare magazines and shotgun ammo in your pockets for now. Most importantly, go out and shoot a match, and soak up the learning from others. DO NOT SPEND A DIME until you have your first match under your belt.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:21:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tuflehundon] [#6]
Originally Posted By StealthyBlagga:
Good advice above.

SHOTGUN: If you can borrow a repeating 12ga (even a pump), then do so for your first match. If you are itching to buy one, get the Stoeger 3000 referenced above (read this discussion to learn everything you need), or jump up to a Mossberg 930 JM or Versa Max Tactical if you have the $$$. Run the shotgun stock until to can afford to add upgrades.
RIFLE: Run your basic DPMS AR15 with iron sights. Make sure you have a good 200 yard zero, and that it runs 100% reliably... an accurate and reliable gun will be worth much more than a fancy optic.
PISTOL: Run your 1911 for now. Just make sure you have a few spare magazines, and that the gun runs 100% reliably with all your magazines. Oh, and make sure you have a secure holster (Kydex is fine, avoid crappy generic ballistic nylon).

Do NOT buy a tactical vest/plate carrier as it is not the best option for 3-Gun (but feel free to use if you already have one). If you don't already have pouches/shell caddies, just stuff your spare magazines and shotgun ammo in your pockets for now. Most importantly, go out and shoot a match, and soak up the learning from others. DO NOT SPEND A DIME until you have your first match under your belt.
View Quote

I'll echo this about the plate carrier. Don't go out and buy one just for this use. They can be pretty expensive and are not the best option.

I run one myself, but I already had it. I am using it until I decide on the shotgun loading system I want to use. I currently use 6rd shell caddies that are mounted to the side of my plate carrier, use the front open top rifle mag pouches for my rifle mags, and I have a DAA belt and Ghost mag pouches fore my pistol that carried over from my USPSA shooting. I am experimenting with load 2 and quad loads right now and once I decide which I want, I will get the carriers for them, and a ridfle mag pouch for my belt and stop using the plate carrier.

When I shoot US Carbine Assoc, around 70% of people are using vests. Shooting 3 gun, I am one of the only ones. Most people you will see running a vest in 3gun will have a chest rig for a load 2 or quad load system.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Tuflehundon:

I'll echo this about the plate carrier. Don't go out and buy one just for this use. They can be pretty expensive and are not the best option.

I run one myself, but I already had it. I am using it until I decide on the shotgun loading system I want to use. I currently use 6rd shell caddies that are mounted to the side of my plate carrier, use the front open top rifle mag pouches for my rifle mags, and I have a DAA belt and Ghost mag pouches fore my pistol that carried over from my USPSA shooting. I am experimenting with load 2 and quad loads right now and once I decide which I want, I will get the carriers for them, and a ridfle mag pouch for my belt and stop using the plate carrier.

When I shoot US Carbine Assoc, around 70% of people are using vests. Shooting 3 gun, I am one of the only ones. Most people you will see running a vest in 3gun will have a chest rig for a load 2 or quad load system.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tuflehundon:
Originally Posted By StealthyBlagga:
Good advice above.

I have just a basic open back molle vest right now, so i won't buy a different vest unless i do tactical shooting of some kind.

What exactly is a load 2 or a quad load system? a lot of what I've been seeing for 3 gun is the shooters are using a belt type set up. a 6 shell holder or 2 on one rifle mag pouches that have a pistol mag pouch on the front side of it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:55:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JesseTischauser] [#9]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:56:18 PM EDT
[#10]
very interesting! so it really will just come down to personal preference? is there one you would suggest over the other?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:00:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Both would be helpful. also I'm in need of the info for 3gun class types so i can start competing, and figure out where to compete here in the state of oklahoma
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JesseTischauser:

Step 2 is join us over on BoomerShooter.com forum for all the Oklahoma match info.

Boomer Shooter Forum

I suggest starting with dropping deuces aka load two cause it's super easy.

If you're hands aren't tiny and you're dexterity is above average quad loading can be accomplished from the start.  It helps to have more material removed from your shotgun load port as well for tossing quads.

All the Caddy's out there are good.  My favorites are from Invictus Practical.  One of the attributes of the IP brand that is good for a beginner is the versatility.  You can set them up for dropping deuces initially and then switch over to tossing quads with the same stuff.

Invictus practical
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JesseTischauser:
Originally Posted By Sunday02:
Both would be helpful. also I'm in need of the info for 3gun class types so i can start competing, and figure out where to compete here in the state of oklahoma

Step 2 is join us over on BoomerShooter.com forum for all the Oklahoma match info.

Boomer Shooter Forum

I suggest starting with dropping deuces aka load two cause it's super easy.

If you're hands aren't tiny and you're dexterity is above average quad loading can be accomplished from the start.  It helps to have more material removed from your shotgun load port as well for tossing quads.

All the Caddy's out there are good.  My favorites are from Invictus Practical.  One of the attributes of the IP brand that is good for a beginner is the versatility.  You can set them up for dropping deuces initially and then switch over to tossing quads with the same stuff.

Invictus practical

I will take a look at Boomershooter and hopefully i can find what i need! Thanks
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top