Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2017 4:19:55 PM EDT
Totally subjective, of course.

Those of you who shoot competitively, do you run a brake or just a flash hider? Anyone tried a brake and hated the blast so much they went back to a flash hider and just dealt with the added muzzle rise?

Shooting from a bench sighting in, I can feel the blast in my teeth and it feels like my brain is being pushed against the back of my skull while having the skin on my face stretched tight.

I'm probably going to ditch the brake and go back to a flash hider but wanted to see if anyone can definitively say that it shaved enough time off their stages to make it worth the discomfort and distraction.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I find them unpleasant and no help.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#2]
No experience with them on a pistol.

They help a lot with rifles and there's a reason why everyone runs them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I noticed I posted in the wrong section. 

Can a mod move it or should I just ask the same question in rifles?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#4]
you posted this in "Pistol" but I assume the question is about rifles.

On my 3Gun rifle I use a comp that I think is the most effective and is not abrasive, it is expensive and works very well, the Carbon Arms Gas Hog. 

But you have to remember that a comp is part of a system, comp,adjustable gas, light weight BGC and buffer system.

On my non-game guns my favorite is the Griffon Armament Flash-Comp 
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:37:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DonofKalifornia] [#5]
You need a comp so your rifle shoots flat so you can make your second shot with minimal muzzle rise.  I use a modified Rolling Thunder comp, don't even notice it.

Even when I RO 3 gun shooters I don't even notice the blast.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#6]
all for the 2nd shot split
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Worth it, I think so.

Some comps are super concussive, some are less so.

Plugs and muffs are your friend.

A well tuned rifle doesn't move.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Worth it, I think so.

Some comps are super concussive, some are less so.

Plugs and muffs are your friend.

A well tuned rifle doesn't move.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Fast double tap.

Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#10]
On a pistol, I'd do it if I wanted to shoot open division.

On rifle, I do. I do not find them irritating. For matches in-state that are mostly up-close bay work, I shoot an 11.5" with a surefire dual port brake. Otherwise it is a 16" with the same brake. I usually wear plugs and muffs if going into a shoothouse or shooting through barrels or culverts or whatever.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes on the rifle as adding one doesn't impact your class. On pistol, I don't use as it's a quick ticket to Open class.

I started with M4-72 aka RO blaster and while it did reduce recoil it wasn't the best for muzzle rise. Switched to SJC-Titan this year and RO's still hate it, but I noticed faster rifle splits on plate rack as compared to the M4-72 brake. Recoil is what it is on most rifles and I didn't build mine to be a super soft shooter, eliminating the muzzle movement though is more important IMO than reducing recoil. Lots of options out there - try one!
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 6:12:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#12]
ETA whoops! didn't mean to resurrect this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top