Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2014 2:49:01 PM EDT
Hoping to shoot my first match here in a few weeks, just recently got a taste of 3gun in a skills builder course I was able to take locally. After reviewing as many of the threads on the xdm here that I could find, I was hoping you guys might be able to help me with a few questions related to mine -

First, I had always kept the xdm gear included holster in the case and only used it for the first time during the skills builder. I felt comfortable with it attached to my wilderness 1.75" instructors belt, but most practice was stationary. Am I going to be OK with this holster during a 3gun match, or is there any reason I should avoid it?

Second, I only have three mags for it. I anticipate using the xdm gear dual mag holder for two and the third will be loaded. I know it depends a lot on how they set up a given stage, but will I typically be short with just three mags (not factoring in malfunctions etc, just pure round count)?

I've seen some mention of 9mm conversion, what is the advantage of this? Cheaper ammunition, less recoil? I don't think this is something I need to consider within my first couple of years as it would take a lot of ammo to recover the initial cost, just mostly curious as to why guys do it.

Flared magwells - do they require modification of the polymer frame to be effective? I'm assuming I would have to trim the bottom edge for a smooth transition, which brings me to the next question on if a novice shooter should even consider this enhancement?

Lastly, and probably most important - I'm looking for recommendations for replacement sights. I only have a couple thousand rounds through this pistol but can't for the life of me get the stock sights locked down. I know the guy behind the gun is at fault for 99% of this, but I can consistently group better with my xds .45 and feel much more comfortable with the stocks sights that came with that versus what I'm dealing with on the xdm.

The best way I can explain it is that it feels like there is a lot of open space on either side of the front sight post when I align the rear sights with it. Maybe I'm not using them the way they were designed to be used, so dropping ~$150 on new sights would be a waste of money. I was very confident that this was the case until the xds came into my life a few months ago... if It had better magazine capacity I wouldn't be opposed to using that instead...

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you guys can provide. I know the obvious answer is going to be to shoot a couple matches and figure out what to start tuning from there, but half the fun is looking at all the upgrades I might need to make :)

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Do NOT use the holster that comes with a XDm they do not retain the holster well enough. I've DQed a few people for dropping a load gun with them. Get a Bladetech they are pretty reasonable.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll agree with the poster above that the holster and mag pouch that come with the XD's and XDm's suck. Holster does not retain the gun well enough. And the mag pouch is poorly designed so that it works best with 1 mag facing forward and 1 mag facing the rear. Replace them pretty quick.

Magwells do not require trimming of the gun. Go ahead and get one. If you do get one, you will need to get some magazine extensions for your mags.

9 to 40 conversion can be done, but is not nessasary. Especially if you reload. I shot a .40 since I use it in USPSA Limited and in 3gun. I have major PF loads that I use for USPSA, and minor PF loads I use for 3gun. The minor PF loads are great and have hardly any recoil. I do have 3 less rounds than a 9 would, but have yet to shoot a stage were that was a factor.

3 mags should be plenty, especially if you get mag extensions. Most 3gun shooters I see only carry 2 mags with them. I carry 3 but hardly ever use more than 1 or 2..

For sights I like Dawsons or Novak's. I would get adjustable sights so you can sight in for your loads. and for the range you want. I sighted my pistol in at the average range the clubs I go to put plate racks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the feedback and apologize for the length of time it's taken me to reply to the post.. been a busy summer and I have yet to actually shoot a 3gun match.

I did recently get out for a tactical shotgun match and enjoyed every bit of it, never had so much fun with a pump shotgun and I think it was a great primer to get used to the course of fire without introducing too much complication.

Took the advice of ditching the xdgear holster and mag pouches and got enough money saved up to get a hold of a bladetech competition belt and some mag pouches - just in time for a 2gun match in November before winter hits us too hard.

Been trying to put some time into pistol shooting, still my weakest area but I have absorbed a lot of information. I think I'm going to hold off on new sights until I get more accustomed to the gun and recoil management. Would like to try some minor PF loads to see if that makes me any more comfortable with it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top