Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2016 12:09:54 PM EDT
Planning out a competition gun build and wondering if I should go semi-lightweight or not. Mobility is important but I'm thinking that should probably take the back seat to recoil mitigation when it comes to competing.

Here's what I had in mind.

Receiver set - Battle Arms lightweight receiver set

Rail - MI 15" lightweight rail - This whole lightweight build idea started from seeing this rail at my LGS one day. I'm pretty set on using this one unless it's all around a bad idea.

Trigger - Geissele SD-C or SD-3G

Stock - Either the VLTOR EMOD or Magpul fixed rifle stock with sprinco springs

BCG - This is one i'm not sure on, heard good stuff about the AIM lightweight BCG's but am definitely open to suggestions

Barrel - Another one I'm not sure on. 16" vs 18" - Middy vs Rifle gas - What barrel material and profile. Will probably run an adjustable gas block to tune my match load and switch from suppressed or not but I'm open to the idea of a regular gas block and just running the gu
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Tight budget or are you looking for something good? Because that'll depend upon what people are going to say.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tight budget or are you looking for something good? Because that'll depend upon what people are going to say.
View Quote

Budget minded. Since I'm new to the sport I'd like to get a good start on the more permanent parts such as receivers, rail, trigger and then get a more budget friendly barrel and bcg. Find what I like and shoot the crap out of it to see if I'll really even last with the sport, haven't found alot of matches local to me in KS, before diving off the deep end.

Come to think of it, I do have a 18" white oak rifle length .223 wylde ss barrel I could pull off my overweight "SPR" build and a aim lightweight bcg I was going to use on a bumpsaw build that I could repurpose.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Every time that I think to myself that my 3-gun set up is too heavy (18" barrel, full stock, 9.5lbs with 1-4 optic), I go to the range and leave glad that I have a heavy rifle.  Heavy, of course, is a matter of perspective because before the world of lightweight aluminum and polymers there were guns with wooden stocks that are truly heavy.  WWII guns like the M1 Garand and Thompson weighed in around 10-11 lbs with iron sights and the M249 SAW that I had to carry a few times is over 15lbs not counting the ammo.

Bit I digress, I do have some SBR and other lightweight rifles which all weight in around 6.5 lbs with optics, but when it comes to 3-gun competitions, I have never had any moments during competition where I said to myself, "I wish that my rifle was lighter".  

And speaking of recoil management, it is hard to tell when you are shooting, but I often have other people who are new to the sport shoot my weapons and when watching a new person shoot a lightweight rifle and then my competition rifle, I can see the benefit of the extra weight as they appear to be shooting smoother and have more hits on target when shooting rapidly.

my set up is basically
18" heavy stainless barrel
Jerry Miculek comp
Midwest Industries lightweight handguard
standard receivers, BCG, charging handle, buffer system
Armalite two-stage trigger
Magpul full stock (helps with the balance of the rifle because of the heavy barrel)
Trijicon 1-4 optic
Aero Precision lightweight mount

Link Posted: 11/1/2016 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Planning out a competition gun build and wondering if I should go semi-lightweight or not. Mobility is important but I'm thinking that should probably take the back seat to recoil mitigation when it comes to competing.

Here's what I had in mind.

Receiver set - Battle Arms lightweight receiver set

Rail - MI 15" lightweight rail - This whole lightweight build idea started from seeing this rail at my LGS one day. I'm pretty set on using this one unless it's all around a bad idea.

Trigger - Geissele SD-C or SD-3G

Stock - Either the VLTOR EMOD or Magpul fixed rifle stock with sprinco springs

BCG - This is one i'm not sure on, heard good stuff about the AIM lightweight BCG's but am definitely open to suggestions

Barrel - Another one I'm not sure on. 16" vs 18" - Middy vs Rifle gas - What barrel material and profile. Will probably run an adjustable gas block to tune my match load and switch from suppressed or not but I'm open to the idea of a regular gas block and just running the gu
View Quote

Just posted the second part of my review on the RCA Titanium BCG w/AGK! At this point I would highly recommend it as a viable option!
If your interested PM me and I can give you the contact info for one of the managers over there, he can get you squared away.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I have also read a lot of good about the hiperfire 24-3G trigger. They say it doesn't drag the BCG like others out there.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am so damn ready for them to come back in stock. They make it in nickel boron and nitride, neither of which have been in stock for a while
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am so damn ready for them to come back in stock. They make it in nickel boron and nitride, neither of which have been in stock for a while
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the ticket right here!
Or you can get the one with the adjustable gas key here!
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey everyone if your looking to snag up a low mass carrier, head over to www.rubbercityarmory.com and enter IWANTLOWMASS for the coupon code and get $50 OFF any Titanium Carrier or Titanium Complete BCG!
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks nice, however it cost double what the aim ones go for. And iv'e heard so many good things about them.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 5:20:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Looks nice, however it cost double what the aim ones go for. And I've heard so many good things about them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BCG - This is one I'm not sure on, heard good stuff about the AIM lightweight BCG's but am definitely open to suggestions

Looks nice, however it cost double what the aim ones go for. And I've heard so many good things about them.

Have you done a Google search of AIM's BCG quality? Apparently not...
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BCG - This is one I'm not sure on, heard good stuff about the AIM lightweight BCG's but am definitely open to suggestions

Here is a quote from a post on ARFCOM,
"Well my AIM's BCGs finally arrived. I was able to compare it to the WMD Guns BCG that I had. The nickel boron finish is excellent, it looks just like the WMD guns BCG, however there are several deep scratches on the bolt carrier, and rough machining marks everywhere, especially on the gas key. None of this should affect function, I don't care at all, I'm just mentioning it to those cheap people who want grade A quality, for a Grade C price. This BCG is definitely a grade C, passes but doesn't go above and beyond."

Does not sound like a competition quality BCG to me, but to each his own.
Remember that the BCG is the heart and soul of your build!
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 12:01:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like with any other products, there are good and bad reviews.  To each there own, I'll wait around for them to come back in stock and get a nitride.  If I get to impatient I'll just order a JP
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Noveske rebrands Rubber City Armory BCGs. If the quality was equal or even close, why wouldn’t Noveske just use AIM or a similar low price BCG to rebrand?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top