Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2016 4:18:13 PM EDT
This is my only AR for now, but I've got another lower built and I'm shopping around for a new upper.
16" BCM midlength upper
12" DD Lite Rail
BCM Mod 0 brake
Coronado Arms lower w/ flared magwell
Geissele Rapid Fire Trigger (on order)
Magpul STR stock (on order)

What would serve me better, buying a different upper that is more suited for 3 Gun and keeping this for range/hunting/defensive use or using this one for 3 gun and buying a new range/hunting/defensive upper?
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Just about anything is good enough for 3 Gun...go choot it!
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#2]
That's good to know. I'm going to my first 3 Gun match tomorrow so I can watch other competitors and figure out what I need. I'm just not sure whether turning my current gun into a dedicated 3 Gun rifle would be better or whether I should start over with a different upper since I'm buying a new upper, anyway.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#3]
It really depends on how your local matches are run (i.e. any super long range engagements?) and whether or not you are going to go pro.

I have no delusions of going "pro" and deliberately run a weapon close to my issue weapon.

Besides, unless you're a really good shooter already, it will be a while before you're competitive enough that the hardware makes a difference.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Absolutely.

It is also good to shoot with what you have first, then figure out what you may want to upgrade later.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Absolutely.

It is also good to shoot with what you have first, then figure out what you may want to upgrade later.
View Quote

THIS. Save whatever spare cash you have for accessories (optics, shotshell caddies, magazines, pouches, whatever) that you feel would be the most helpful AFTER you have shot your first couple of matches. Don't spend one red cent until you have at least one match under your belt. About the only thing that rifle would need is a suitable optic for whatever division you plan to shoot, and a muzzle brake... neither are needed for your first match.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#6]
The problem is that there are things that I do not want on my defensive rifle that I do on my competition rifle (such as an illuminated 1-6x optic and a better brake, which are inconvenient to change out regularly) and I absolutely want to have a second upper (and third and fourth) in my hands ASAP. Call me crazy, but I want to be in before the ban and I already have the lowers ready to go. I'll never go pro in 3 Gun (I'm just not that good and won't practice enough with family and career obligations pulling me in other directions), but I do want to have equipment that's good enough to grow into as I start travelling to matches farther away. My local 3 gun matches are done at short range in pistol bays, so it's tough for me to figure out what I need in a competition rifle.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I would say, use what you have for a couple of matches. That will help you decide what you need in a 3gun upper. Then build a dedicated upper.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:18:59 PM EDT
[#8]
That rifle is just fine.

We all love tricked out match rifles but the shooter is most of the equation for success.  That upper is good quality.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm moving up to an 18". Still not exactly sure what I need for when I move up, but I know I don't want a quadrail on my race gun and I figure I can't go wrong with an 18" upper.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I ran a standard RRA midlength upper with a FSB and a folding rear for a couple of seasons before I built my first competition AR.

Run what you brung.  It'll teach you a lot about what you want and what you don't.  There is an interesting evolution with new shooters coming out.  Most of the time their rifles get "leaner" after the first 3 outings.  Lights, lasers, VFG's - all seem to fall off the rifle before the 4th match.

I built an A2 stocked 18" Nordic rifle gas setup for my first "competition" rifle.  Jerry M muzzle brake, Burris MTAC optic.  It is a very, very flat, fast gun.  But as we shoot mostly in pistol bays, I wanted something a little faster and easier handling.  So the rifle I finished over the winter is a 16" fluted Stretch 16 barrel.  Handles a little faster.  Also dropped the Jerry brake because that thing is SO hard on RO's.  Optic I went for the beautiful pig - the Vortex Razor 1-6.

Shoot your current rifle until you figure out where and how most of your shooting will be done.  If all of your shooting will be under 100 yards, a lightweight red dot may be a better optic choice than a 1-4 or 1-6 variable.

First rifle - got me through a couple seasons just fine:

First purpose-built comp rifle:

Current comp rifle:
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not optimistic about the gun laws after November. If I'm wrong about where things are heading, I spent a few hundred bucks on something I was going to buy eventually, and I'll need to swap out some parts to make it just right. If I'm right, there's a chance to get the rifle grandfathered in. I've got my current upper set up exactly how I want for general utility and I'm not going to change anything on it to make it more race ready. I'm using it as is for now, but that's not what I'm asking about.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought you were asking about whether your upper was good enough for 3-gun.  I was sharing my experience in using an existing upper in competition, hoping that would assist.  Apparently not.  My mistake and sincere apologies.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Hell of a lot better than my first 3 gun rifle.  I used a century SAR3 with a crooked front sight block.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought you were asking about whether your upper was good enough for 3-gun.  I was sharing my experience in using an existing upper in competition, hoping that would assist.  Apparently not.  My mistake and sincere apologies.
View Quote

Don't be offended. I'm taking that advice and using what I have, but having a second 5.56 upper in my hands before November is important to me. I'm asking if what I have is good enough because after I have my second upper I'm going to use one of them for 3 Gun and the other for everything else. I'm going to eventually make changes to the 3 Gun upper that I do not want on my defensive rifle. So, do I buy another defensive rifle and swap out the muzzle brake and handguard on what I have right now (and gas block and bolt carrier and etc, eventually) or do I buy an upper that's a better starting point for a dedicated 3 Gun rifle and keep my current upper as is?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I understand a bit better now.  I don't necessarily agree with your logic (My read is that if they go after anything, it will be magazines or the entire rifle - no grandfathering), but if that is the path you are on I won't try to talk you off of it.  I will tell you that I started USPSA (and thinking about 3 gun) in 1996.  MAGS were the limiting factor.  Unless you had lucked into some pre-bans or were willing to commit a crime, you were limited to paying $100/mag to get one with the right date code.  If history is a guide, start buying PMAGs.  Buy a few 20's a few 40's, maybe a D60, and as many 30's as you can.  Why the PMAGs?  They are durable, but they are also the mag everyone makes accessories for.  Extensions, baseplates, couplers, etc.  You can run other mags as well, but there is a reason most guys get into PMAGs.

If you are serious about 3 gun, I understand building an upper to be your "game" gun.  Not a bad plan.  I will go out on a limb and tell you that most likely you won't like the same upper in a year, but that is part of the process.  

Again, there is nothing wrong with your current upper as a general-purpose rifle.  But you could make some changes to have a more competitive rifle.  A more accurate barrel, a slimmer handguard, and a more effective muzzle device for controlling rise would all help.

IMHO, the heart of the upper is the barrel.  Nothing wrong with BCM barrels, but there are other choices out there that may (note I said *may*) improve your rifle's performance.  I like Nordic Component's 18" rifle gas barrel, but it can get heavy after a fast stage.  I also like the Stretch 16 barrel from Strong Side Tactical.  You'll also hear proponents of Odin Works, Black Rain Ordnance, Noveske, JP, White Oak Armament, etc.  I know that my barrel is more capable than I am, and that is what is important.  But when I was running a Burris MTAC, you could forget shooting groups - the center do was over 2MOA, making group shooting difficult.

If I was building a 3 gun upper now, I would look long and hard at the LaRue barrels - he's got them marked down to $225 for the rest of the year.  You'll be hard pressed to find a better barrel at a lower price.  I'd get one with M4 cuts, and then make sure I got an M4 upper.  Speaking of which, pickings are slim right now but I've always been happy with BCM for uppers and bolts.  Some competitors run low mass bolts, TiN or other coatings.  I can honestly say I've never been in a situation where I was out-running my rifle, and therefore don't see the need.  I just run a plain BCM bolt, knowing I can get replacement parts easily.

Brakes are kind of a personal thing.  The DPMS Jerry is incredibly effective.  On my 18" Nordic barrel, the center dot did not appear to move.  Felt recoil was far lower than my standard 16" midlength.  Others that you'll see talked about are the Rolling Thunder or the SJC Titan.  I went with a Dynamic Resistance from Carbon Arms for the latest rifle and have been pleased.  Not quite as effective as the Jerry, but also not as offensive.  

Handguards are a personal choice.  On a 3-gun rifle, the handguard doesn't do a whole lot other than stay off the barrel.  Occasionally you may get to put your sling on the rifle, but I've seen that in about 1 out of 10 matches I have shot.  Something that is comfortable but has enough ventilation and mass to deal with heat is nice.  I've used Troy (never again) and Midwest Industries, but there are a ton of manufacturers out there.  Find one you like, make sure it will clear your gas block, and be happy.

Optics are interesting, and very much dictated by where you are going to shoot.  If all you are shooting is in pistol bays, an Aimpoint or EoTech may be all you need to go fast.  If your Match Director has a thing for clay pigeons at 100 yards, you may want to start looking at magnified optics.  

Again, nothing wrong with building an upper for the game.  Do your homework, search Brian Enos' site.  Buy smart and even if this doesn't end up being your long-term 3-gun upper it will make a hell of a recce.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 12:43:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Any reasonably accurate and reliable AR-15 will work fine for 3-gun.

If you want to race it out.... do it right with a JP low mass carrier, adjustable gas block, a good comp, and maybe a JP captive buffer if that final bit of refinement is worth the $ to you.

It feels nothing like a standard AR-15 when you fire it.  In a good way.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Go to a match, observe, and talk to people.  Most folks are very helpful and will give you advice on getting started.  If you're serious about this, register, show up, and participe.  Don't over complicate it.  Do it.  Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top