Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2015 7:56:38 AM EDT
I had been contemplating a lightweight BCG for my new 3 Gun rifle but was having a hard time justifying the expense.  I was planning to go with the JP LMOS carrier and then re-use my bolt. The JP was going to run me about $200.  I recently saw that AIM is now offering complete LW BCG's in both nitride and nickel boron for $109.95 and $119.95 respectively.  Seemed like a pretty good deal considering what is currently available.  I decided to pick up one of each to try.  The AIM BCG is 8.5oz, vs 8.9oz for the JP LMOS, so weight looks pretty good.  I'm guessing no one has any feedback on these yet, but I'm thinking they will be hot sellers for 3 Gun once the word gets out.  Appreciate any opinions anyone might have.   Link:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCGN3LW&name=Light+Weight+AIM+AR+.223%2f5.56+Nitride+9310+MPI+Bolt+Carrier+Group&groupid=723
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#1]
They look good, I picked up several I soon as I saw them.  I was expecting them to get out of stock within a couple hours.  

The other budget ones, the generic and ADK brands have not been in stock for months now.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I just picked one up for a dedicated 3 Gun rifle for my youngest brother. 2 real comments.

#1 I have other AIM BCG's and consider them a great value for the money and quality. I assembled a rifle for a friend who had a strict budget, so we used an AIM standard BCG. The accuracy for the gun has been very acceptable, and performance has been at the same or higher standard that I expect of an even higher priced product.

#2 You will really enjoy the benefit of a lightweight carrier for your 3-Gun rifle. In case no one else jumps in, or has brought this up to you I had a couple of things with this. Make sure that you use an adjustable gas block to take advantage of the weight savings. Also, I noticed a bit of a difference when switching the JP low mass buffer in my JP15. I have a friend that has JP's full lightweight BCG in his 16in, carbon length gas rifle with a non-adjustable gas block, and A2 birdcage. I think the low-mass carrier in this case was a waste. You could shoot his rifle and have no idea that he had a bolt carrier like that in there. It feels like every other carbine/rifle. My JP15 is flat as shit with the low-mass components, adjustable gas block and compensator. I really believe its all the components together that make a great flat shooting gun. My .02. Hope your new carrier works out well!

Link Posted: 10/21/2015 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought one the day I got the email they came out. They only had NIB, I wish I would have gotten nitride. I think they're a great bang for buck.

I purchased mine for another BumpSAW build, so a little different purpose from most users.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Same here.  But in true ARFCOM fashion I decided to get both.  I have two 3 gun rifles so each one will get a new LW BCG.  The NIB looks very nice, great machining and finish.  The nitride will hopefully get here tomorrow.  With any luck I can try one out on Friday.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought one the day I got the email they came out. They only had NIB, I wish I would have gotten nitride. I think they're a great bang for buck.

I purchased mine for another BumpSAW build, so a little different purpose from most users.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2015 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I already have an AP Custom LW BCG. A few days after the AIM lw bcg came out Integrity Arms put their lw carriers on sale. I ordered two of them because they retain the M16 trip and a small amount of forward assist serations.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 3:08:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 5:20:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Awesome, let us know what you think.  It does seem to be the best value out there right now for a LW BCG.  I haven't been able to try mine yet, but they both look great in terms of machining and fit / finish.

Quoted:
If those truely are as light or lighter then a JP and aren't POS that is a steal!  I'm gonna order one up.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:48:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If those truely are as light or lighter then a JP and aren't POS that is a steal! I'm gonna order one up.
View Quote

I measured it at 8.6oz for the full BCG on my scale.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds good.  I know my scale measured the AP Custom/Rhino Arms LW BCG at 8.4oz.  It also measured a standard M16 BCG at 11.7oz and an AR15 cut BCG at 11.2oz.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I have been staring at those for a week...I don't NEED another BCG, but I WANT another.

I am waiting for a review by someone that shoots more often than me. Hopefully they will still be in stock when I jump on it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Got a picture of mine on the scale uploaded:

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Had a chance to test it out yet?  I'm just waiting for a gas block and then my build will be done, but I won't be heading out to the range for a couple weeks.  Curious if I'll notice the difference between the LW BCG and full mass once I get the gas system tuned.  

Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=82154
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Had a chance to test it out yet? I'm just waiting for a gas block and then my build will be done, but I won't be heading out to the range for a couple weeks. Curious if I'll notice the difference between the LW BCG and full mass once I get the gas system tuned.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Had a chance to test it out yet? I'm just waiting for a gas block and then my build will be done, but I won't be heading out to the range for a couple weeks. Curious if I'll notice the difference between the LW BCG and full mass once I get the gas system tuned.

Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=82154

I put about 50 80gr SMK hand loads down range with it a couple weeks ago.  Had a few occasions it didn't lock open.  That might have be something with the 80% lower it's on or a sign of a gas issue/cycling too fast.  I'll probably take it out again at my next range session, might wait until I get the stock built for it though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Jesse, Have you tried it out yet to see how well the AIM compares to the others?
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Has anyone had luck getting the Key off the Aim lightweight carrier.  The hex nut head is smaller than the other BCGs I have, and I've stripped two of them so far trying to remove them.  I wanted to install an adjustable gas key.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Darn... I went to the website trying to buy one and they are out of stock... this BCG look like a bargain, I'm going to need to wait until they are back in stock!!!
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:52:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Been on the "Notify when in stock" list for a while.

Has anyone been able to get one of these lately?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#23]
They got some in yesterday in nitride.  I was able to order one, but they sold out pretty quick.  

Quoted:
Been on the "Notify when in stock" list for a while.

Has anyone been able to get one of these lately?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Has anyone had luck getting the Key off the Aim lightweight carrier.  The hex nut head is smaller than the other BCGs I have, and I've stripped two of them so far trying to remove them.  I wanted to install an adjustable gas key.
View Quote
Mine disassembled itself

Did you strip the screw head or your driver?

Remember the screws are single use items.  I replaced mine with Torx Plus Screws that exceed the grade 8 standard.

Here she is cleaned up.

Permatex No3 applied.

Hight temp thread locker applied, torqued to 56in/lb and staked.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Anymore feedback? Round count? Is the 9310 bolt as good as 154?
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#26]
FYI Bought one of the lightweight AIM NiB bcgs and the gas key came loose. I needed to turn the gas down anyways and i dont have an adjustable gas block so im going to install an adjustable key.

EDIT: Cleaned the carrier up to prep for the new key installation and noticed some of the nib coating flaking off... Not sure if i should just send it back at this point...

EDIT: Emailed AIM, waiting a response.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

FYI Bought one of the lightweight AIM NiB bcgs and the gas key came loose. I needed to turn the gas down anyways and i dont have an adjustable gas block so im going to install an adjustable key.

EDIT: Cleaned the carrier up to prep for the new key installation and noticed some of the nib coating flaking off... Not sure if i should just send it back at this point...

View Quote
Any update on this?

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Bad staking and flaking of the NiB coating in front of the mag stop is my experience.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:18:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Any update on this?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any update on this?  

Yah, Aim surplus is awesome, i contacted customer service and got a response from Joshua. Hes offered me an exchange, for a bolt with their new EXO coating as the lightweight carriers are out of stock. I explained i needed a lightweight carrier, he understood and offered me a full refund. Joshua was very fast to respond and made me feel as if he cared and really wanted to set things straight. Im mailing it back in this week. Ill let you guys know how the rest of the refund process goes. Its unfortunate it didn't work out for me. I would recommend you buy one in their nitride coating or if they release it with the EXO coating.

EDIT: Shipped it out yesterday 7/20/16

EDIT: Received Refund 8/8/16. All in all, they have great customer service, and they stand by their products. I would stay away from anything NiB coated from them. Unless its the EXO, i would just stick to the proven nitride process.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top