Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2017 12:11:54 PM EDT
Pig #1
Spotted pigs with drone. Entered field and caught sound of them and started closing. My phone went off in my pocket and I'm pretty sure they heard it because it kind of got them nervous enough to group up and start moving but not enough to bolt.  I tripped over one little pig and followed him right into the main group.  I started homing in on the biggest pig which turned out to be a boar, not sure where the main sow was, never saw her.  The big boar was walking away from me with two more small pigs in the way. One veered off on his own, the other I kicked out of the way gently just as I was closing in on boar.  Made my final step and thrust just as he was starting to turn sideways to me.  Spear went in a little too far back and this dude was way bigger than me.  The pig did an immidete turn to try and face me and this made the spear go from pointing from kidney are to chest to kidney area to ass.  Pretty horrid stuff but it was still fighting me and we went round and round a few times.  When it finally sat down I pulled out and jumped back and he started to come at me so I poked him right between the eyes.  I got a few inches into the brain and he went cross eyed and gave up.  One more stick to the armpit to be sure and it was over.

One of the biggest I've killed.  Certainly the biggest I've killed with a spear.  10 out of 10, would stab again.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Pig #2
Same general area as above. Spotted pigs with drone. As I made entry into the field the sow made warning grunts and the pigs kind of scattered.  It took a lot of walking to pick them up again and all I could find were smaller pigs.  Jumped one too early and didn't get a stab.  Started grunting and trying to call them back.  One piglet started moving toward me but I was in a opening in the rice and couldn't re-position fast enough to be in a good spot to stab him as he came by.  He stopped about 10 or 12 feet away and froze staring right at me.  I had no lights on but I'm sure he could see my silhouette against the sky.  I figured there was no way I could close the distance so I aimed a little in front of his nose knowing he would jump as soon as I twitched and I chunked the spear.  I nailed him right in the neck and sliced everything open from spine upwards.  He ran off dragging his face in the mud.  Closed and finished the job.  BBQd him whole a few weeks later.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Ancestor style

Nice
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
A man with balls, I admire this.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome hunting, sir.  A real mans man uses a spear.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you make or buy the spear?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#6]
The Spear is one thing but open toe , sock footwear boar killing raises the danger up one more notch.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#7]
That is awesome!

I will leave that kind of hunting for you and I'll stick to boots and a rifle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#8]

damn!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you make or buy the spear?
View Quote
Cold steel boar spear on a custom shaft that a local wood worker made.  The stock shaft was too short and I decided to add two feet after I got kissed on the knee cap by a pig.  :D
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice.  So when the SHTF and your out of ammo pig roast every week.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#11]
First one is very impressive, second one is a bit small...but then again, you've killed two pigs with a spear and I've killed none, so brag on you magnificent son of a bitch!
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
First one is very impressive, second one is a bit small...but then again, you've killed two pigs with a spear and I've killed none, so brag on you magnificent son of a bitch!
View Quote
That fact that he's small makes it more awesome.  He was an itty bitty target and I threw a spear and still smoked him.  No luck involved.  No sir.  Pure skill.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice man. Cool hunt, congrats.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Spear is one thing but open toe , sock footwear boar killing raises the danger up one more notch.
View Quote
I hate wearing shoes but you pretty much have to do this barefoot since walking in rice with boots is really hard and noisy.
The socks keep the abrasive leaves from stripping all your skin off.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#15]
The thermal image is excellent. Very well composed.

Someone with artistic skill should somehow link that image(thematically) with a cave man image.

Ok, it makes sense in my head.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Cool! That takes nads to brave the cotton mouths in stockings.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Holy $#&%!!!  

That is hardcore man
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#19]
so you walk around with night vision and sneak up to the hogs and stick a spear in them?

that sounds awesome, btw hogs who dont smell you?
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Why?  

I've taken over 50 with either my rifle or pistol. Find a rooting spot, wait, shoot. Get a sow with piglets and the piglets come back in 20-30 minutes. My record of 17 stands for one night, but 5-6 at a time isn't uncommon.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
so you walk around with night vision and sneak up to the hogs and stick a spear in them?

that sounds awesome, btw hogs who dont smell you?
View Quote
I think they do sometimes.  There have been a few that absolutly knew I was there but I kept chasing them till they got lost and tired in the rice field.  
Others were kinda wary and nervous but not enough to spook and run.  Keep in mind, its dark when I'm doing this and the rice is REALLY thick and over their heads.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Excellent work. 
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why?  

I've taken over 50 with either my rifle or pistol. Find a rooting spot, wait, shoot. Get a sow with piglets and the piglets come back in 20-30 minutes. My record of 17 stands for one night, but 5-6 at a time isn't uncommon.
View Quote
But do you have this pic of you?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why?  

View Quote
IIRC Bushman's one night record was 29 using a combination of spear, rifle and SUV.

Enough dead pigs to use the bodies to spell "oink" that could be seen the next day by the cropduster flying by.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
IIRC Bushman's one night record was 29 using a combination of spear, rifle and SUV.

Enough dead pigs to use the bodies to spell "oink" that could be seen the next day by the cropduster flying by.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?  

Yeah bushman is the man my feet are to tender not to mention I am not fond of snakes. Yeah I got lucky one night watching a river crossing while several people dogged the bottom. With a Gen 1+ night scope  I got 60 most under 25 pounds. But I have never been able to get over 10 or 12 sense then. I have snuck up on few with a bow during day light and it's not easy. A spear is a whole new level. Respect Hell Yeah!
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 12:20:02 AM EDT
[#26]
A spear is still on my "To Do'' list. I've tried one of those African bushman type spears and it didn't have the weight behind it to penetrate a good size pig. We have so few hogs now I cant bring myself to buy the proper spear.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#27]
In this thread the OP humbly brags about his own brand of stench that is so bad it doesn't even faze pigs.

Great job Bushman!
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:12:47 PM EDT
[#29]
That's great!  Yay!
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:11:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Do you have GoPro video, if not you need to make it happen.  I could see a short hunting series based on this.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Do you have GoPro video, if not you need to make it happen.  I could see a short hunting series based on this.
View Quote
This is the best I could ever do.  

Stalking Feral Hogs with a spear

This was waaay back in the day when I didn't have night vision.  I'm hunting by moonlight and not using the camera to see what I'm doing.  The camera was an old cam corder with two wimpy IR lights.

I tried to use the TNVC gopro adapter, but I never made contact while wearing it and its a good product but the extra glass was prone to fogging up in the middle of a hot rice field full of water next to my sweaty face.  Working a spear with a PVS14 is really hard and its even harder with the GoPro adapter.

If I could find a decent recording solution that works in the dark and doesn't screw with my night vision, I would.  But I haven't found that product yet.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Beautiful, awesome, primitive and very hardcore and well done!
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Frickin' great stuff Brother!  We have a few ideas for you we're discussing. Let's catch up after the holidays.

Vic
View Quote
Sure thing man.  I'm still trying to figure out if I can afford to go to SHOT this year, if I decided to blow the money I'll see you there  :D
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#37]
DAng! Reading about the big pig. I bet it is a major adrenaline rush! Night vision photo is AWESOME!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top