Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2017 1:49:12 AM EDT
I will be going on my first hog hunt in a few months. I have questions for you veterans.

1. We will be going at night. How bright of a light will I need? Target distance under 50yds, no nvg's.

2. The guy who is taking me said he uses a red dot. Would a illuminated 1-4, 1-6, 1-8 work? If I am buying another optic I would rather buy a lpv to keep on the gun.

I will be taking a DPMS 16" LR308. Planning on using fusion or some other soft point (have to see what cycles in the gun).

I have a few lights, x300u and tlr1's. I was told I should get or make a green filter.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:01:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Get night vision if you can. I had a laser designator (green) which was nice but NV optics would have been better.

We had to shoot from blinds, make sure you get one by water if possible and do it at night.

We went to 3 Amigo's in Eagle Pass, will never go back. Hogs were 70+ pounds maybe a couple 100's, food sucked and our bathroom was broke the whole time. That was supposed to be 4-5 star.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:48:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Any good clear light with a red or green lens. If possible rent some night vision even if it's just a hand held thermal unit.  
Low power variable with illuminated cross or dot will work.  
.308 is more than adequate with fusions.  
Watch your scent pig's nose is their best defense. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#3]
My first pig hunt was last June and I learned a lot. At 50 yards you can use a green light. You can buy them on Amazon relatively cheaply. Make sure you get one with a clamp on feature that will either clip to your scope or the rifle barrel. Do NOT expect it to work if your friend holds the light on the pig while you shoot, it will not work. When you illuminate the pig, hold the light above him and swing down, they seem not to scare when you do it this way. Do not use your cell phone much when in the blind, it will scare them. An illuminated reticle will work fine.  Next step up in price is NV scope, and next up from there is thermal. Probably best to sight in at 75 yds, that way anything closer will be no more than 2" low.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I used my Aimpoint, co-witnessed by my irons. Elusive Wildlife Technology makes excellent lighting, but costly if only using here and there.
Fenix has a nice kit...on Amazon. Comes with a red filter, which will work...I prefer the green...sold separately.
Nice thing is it comes with a sheath, and then serves as a great light as EDC. Been carrying my Fenix for 3-4 yrs...not a hiccup.
Fenix
I've used Hornady 55gr SP's with great results.
Have fun, hog hunting is the best.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Its not a paid for guided hunt. The company I work for has property you can hunt on.

That fenix light kit is nice, I was looking at the newer stream light protac.

Not making the leap to nv or thermal as much as I would like to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top