Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2017 7:41:23 PM EDT
Pretty much what the title says, we have squirrels getting into our feeder so I want to start packing my Gamo Whisper Quiet and cappin' the little shits while I sit in the tripod. Would a couple dead squirrels under the feeder keep the pigs from showing up and/or sticking around?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#1]
No it would draw them there to eat them!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on how wary they are. Some might investigate others might hang back. I have seen some cross the firing range while we were shooting. But that's been many years ago. And now I think they have gotten scared of gunfire. I have seen them not use a bloody trap until several rains have washed it. Personally I would be wary of the noise. You might have one slip in undetected and spook.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:03:10 AM EDT
[#3]
No, unless there's a hog a hundred yards away on his way to the feeder when u shoot, you should be fine. I don't think they would think anything of a dead squirrel, coyote, deer or even another dead hog laying there. I've killed a lone boar, and 20 minutes later another lone boar came down the same path the first boar was on and I shot him no more than 10 yards from the dead one laying there.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Last year I shot a big hog about 430 in the afternoon. I was using a suppressed SCAR 17, which isn't exactly that quiet. I got out of the blind, drug it about 30 yards from the feeder, and got back in.

Another one showed up an hour and a half later, and I killed him too. In my experience a dead animal is of little deterrence to a hog.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I busted out laughing at the thread title. The hogs will eat your squirrels. I've seen deer eat blood soaked corn. Blood from other deer.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Dead critter won't keep them away but the noise from the shot you took to kill the critter can definitely keep them away.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No it would draw them there to eat them!
View Quote
QFT.  I once shot a hog and his brethren came back to lick up the blood.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I was thinking I have never hardly had a squirrel and a hog on camera at the same time. Deer and squirrels yes pigs and squirrels no. What time are your pigs using the feeder is the question I would ask myself. I would try to get into my stand about an hour before the hogs show up. Sometimes getting bored can alert your target quarry faster than anything. I got to thinking about hogs eating the paunch of gutted deer too. They love chicken.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#9]
No, dead animals rarely ever deter hogs
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I've shot them under a feeder and hauled them off...leaving a lot of blood under the feeder.  Then noticed on the game camera that other hogs come later that same night.  They don't seem that bothered by it...
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pretty much what the title says, we have squirrels getting into our feeder so I want to start packing my Gamo Whisper Quiet and cappin' the little shits while I sit in the tripod. Would a couple dead squirrels under the feeder keep the pigs from showing up and/or sticking around?
View Quote

My pig loves squirrels I shoot out of her feeder...also loves leftovers from butchering chickens.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Killed hogs over dead deer, dead hogs, and even use blood and entrails as bait (sprinkled with koolaid)
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#13]
When dead hogs don't even deter more hogs no other dead animals will either.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Lol no
Hogs eat corn around their dead family members' bodies.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#15]
My gut tells me that I wouldn't want to shoot around the same time that I'm trying to draw in hogs, but I have shot a hog over a bait hole and had other hogs come up later and eat the corn around the dead hog.  I would suggest using soured corn.  The stuff I make smells so bad that nothing will touch it except hogs..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top