Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2016 5:15:50 PM EDT
The rand is in the toilet, A bunch of lion hunts have been canceled or pushed off, and the European market has slowed to a crawl due to unrest.

What does this mean and why do you care? Because hunts like I did just September are now just about half price!
Went to the DSC show last week to meet up with my PH, I couldn't believe the specials they were running in plains game, sables, and buffs.

So plain and simple if you have the funds and the time this year and have been putting off Africa, stop it! Now is the time to go. If you need any help or questions answered please post them up or IM me and I'll be happy to help.

And I don't want to get in trouble so if you want some info and pricing from the company I went with, Comre safaris, IM me and I can help you out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Kind of surprised.

I figure that the majority of the folks who can afford an African hunt are pretty well insulated from most economic downturns.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By beardog30:
Kind of surprised.

I figure that the majority of the folks who can afford an African hunt are pretty well insulated from most economic downturns.
View Quote

i cant afford a  elk hunt out west let alone leaving the country lol.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Carolina556:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Kind of surprised.

Big misconception, you can into a plains games hunt for just about the same or less as an elk hunt. (Assuming elk hunts still cost around $6k+)
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I read your post to my wife, and she growled, so I'm guessing that a trip is out of the question.  Got the rifles, just need some practice, lol.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:01:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By rocky59:
The rand is in the toilet, A bunch of lion hunts have been canceled or pushed off, and the European market has slowed to a crawl due to unrest.

What does this mean and why do you care? Because hunts like I did just September are now just about half price!
Went to the DSC show last week to meet up with my PH, I couldn't believe the specials they were running in plains game, sables, and buffs.

So plain and simple if you have the funds and the time this year and have been putting off Africa, stop it! Now is the time to go. If you need any help or questions answered please post them up or IM me and I'll be happy to help.

And I don't want to get in trouble so if you want some info and pricing from the company I went with, Comre safaris, IM me and I can help you out.
View Quote

Ja, my mother is in Witbank at the moment. It's the cheapest vacation she's had in years. Basically, the Rand started tumbling as soon as I bought the ticket - so I'm smiling to the bank. My prayers and thoughts are with y'all there. It's not easy.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:59:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Kind of surprised.

View Quote
The biggest concentration of folks that have the means and are in the circles that still look at hunting as socially acceptable is Texas and are affiliated with oil.

$30 bbl oil has a huge effect on the safari industry

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I swapped emails with Zimbabwe PH and safari operator Martin Pieters yesterday, and he mentioned that this year was going to be slow. His quote , "...2016 looks like it may be a little slower but we hope the Vegas show is productive."

Too bad I can't go this year...

JPK
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:29:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rocky59] [#8]
Originally Posted By JPK:
I swapped emails with Zimbabwe PH and safari operator Martin Pieters yesterday, and he mentioned that this year was going to be slow. His quote , "...2016 looks like it may be a little slower but we hope the Vegas show is productive."

Too bad I can't go this year...

JPK
View Quote

Yup the company I go with is offering a special- a buff and a sable with 5 days for $15k. I just feel I have to take advantage of a price like that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Big misconception, you can into a plains games hunt for just about the same or less as an elk hunt. (Assuming elk hunts still cost around $6k+)
View All Quotes
Kind of surprised.

What kind of money are you looking at, including air fare, trophy shipping, and taxidermy, and all of the other incidentals?  I know there are a lot of variables there, but I am just trying to get an idea.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Potsey:

What kind of money are you looking at, including air fare, trophy shipping, and taxidermy, and all of the other incidentals?  I know there are a lot of variables there, but I am just trying to get an idea.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Potsey:
Kind of surprised.

It's hard to say without knowing what you will shoot or were you will be flying from. Lots of variables. IM sent
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Plains game in Africa is a way better bargain than anything CONUS IMHO.  People are paying 4k to do 1 newfie moose when you can get 5 plains game for 5-6k.  Forget about non resident AK and for Elk its pay to play if you want results.  I would go again in a heartbeat if I had the schedule.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:28:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnConnor] [#12]
I'll just live in the NW and hunt my big game for $30 plus gas and ammo. Thanks though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#13]
was talking with an outfitter about a south African hunt at the great American outdoor show, 2 people, 5 plains animals, 7 days hunting, with air fare and taxidermist fees is about $10,000. not as bad as I figured so if we can come up with the $ the wife and i are seriously thinking about it.
the pronghorn hunt I want to do will be about $2500 without any taxidermy included so not bad at all.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Brewster6514:
was talking with an outfitter about a south African hunt at the great American outdoor show, 2 people, 5 plains animals, 7 days hunting, with air fare and taxidermist fees is about $10,000. not as bad as I figured so if we can come up with the $ the wife and i are seriously thinking about it.
the pronghorn hunt I want to do will be about $2500 without any taxidermy included so not bad at all.
View Quote

Awesome! What animals you getting for that? Is that all shoulder mounting?

And if you want to save money on airfare don't go there in June or July if you can help it, that's the most expensive travel times. I try to go in September their fall.
Also you can't go to Africa and not shoot a springbok, and then when you eat it that's all you'll want to shoot
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#15]

And if you want to save money on airfare don't go there in June or July if you can help it, that's the most expensive travel times. I try to go in September their fall.
Also you can't go to Africa and not shoot a springbok, and then when you eat it that's all you'll want to shoot
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brewster6514:

kudu, impala, blesbuck, springbok, warthog. need to talk to him about switching out the warthog since neither me nor the wife want one of them. would like to get two springbok and two impala, then the kudu and blesbuck. just a rough estimate for the mounts was at $2500. could be more but we haven't got that far into the planning.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By USMC6177:
Plains game in Africa is a way better bargain than anything CONUS IMHO.  People are paying 4k to do 1 newfie moose when you can get 5 plains game for 5-6k.  Forget about non resident AK and for Elk its pay to play if you want results.  I would go again in a heartbeat if I had the schedule.
View Quote

Yes but with the moose you get 400 lbs of meat. Three dollars a pound and you can take 1200 of the price.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By pajasonc:

Yes but with the moose you get 400 lbs of meat. Three dollars a pound and you can take 1200 of the price.
View All Quotes

There is that.  Which is why I am doing newfie moose this year .

However if you were look for trophy room fodder Africa is best bang for the buck
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:09:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rocky59] [#18]

However if you were look for trophy room fodder Africa is best bang for the buck
View All Quotes

One thing that people don't realize about the meat is two fold, one being that you can eat it at camp and it is absolutely delicious, two being that most companies will sell it to the villages for next to nothing. The reason they can't "give" it away is that the government would control were the meat goes instead of the safari company. Seeing the villagers line up for some of my eland and kudu was one of the coolest experiences while I was over there.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:12:52 AM EDT
[#19]

One thing that people don't realize about the meat is two fold, one being that you can eat it at camp and it is absolutely delicious, two being that most companies will sell it to the villages for next to nothing. The reason they can't "give" it away is that the government would control were the meat goes instead of the safari company. Seeing the villagers line up for some of my eland and kudu was one of the coolest experiences while I was over there.
View All Quotes

Yep part of the deal with the concession we were on in Etosha was that all the meat goes to the locals.  They get $$ and food.  Pretty strong motivator to conserve wild game. All the cattle farms we hunted also required the meat be given to them and would then be given to the live in farm hands.  Again strong motivator to prevent poaching.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#20]
The time to go to africa is whenever You can. Just do it. If You keep waiting for the "perfect time"....that time will never come.... I finally got my Dad to go after he had dreamed of it for 40+ years.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By nyalaman:
The time to go to africa is whenever You can. Just do it. If You keep waiting for the "perfect time"....that time will never come.... I finally got my Dad to go after he had dreamed of it for 40+ years.
View Quote

Truth
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top