Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2016 1:04:30 PM EDT
I'll be hunting in the greater houston, BCS, Conroe area. Never duck hunted before.
Will neoprene be too hot and sweaty?
Can I layer with the breathable ones and still stay warm?

Any help will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#2]
You can layer with the breathable waders.  I duck hunted in everything from single fatigue pants to two layers with a thermal layer for days when it was 33f.  Any colder and neoprene would haves been better, but as you know it's only that cold for an hour or so on the coldest of days.

If it was 40 or more I was dumping sweat out after a morning hunt of putting out decoys and rags, unless I was wearing breathable.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Breathables with fleece underneath.I hunt in waders 100 plus days a year in Alaska and i dont put on the neoprene until it gets cold. Simms makes a great wader, i wear them daily but i dont know that i would invest that kind of money in waders to try something. Back in the day i owned cars that cost less than Simms waders.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Great advice everyone. Leaning towards the breathables.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been running neoprenes for six years now and they have been anything but cold. They weigh a lot, snag easily, and take a lot longer to dry out. When they finally kick the bucket I'll go to a breathable and layer with Merino base layer underneath as needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top